Oakland Signs Cabrera

chisox2334

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
3 picks in the first 60 then? Excellent. Hopefully we save some money in the budget for some prospects.

I wouldn't mind taking a college bat (1B/DH?, CF?) at #23 and young high school arms with sign-ability concerns with the sandwich pick (Rick Porcello, Tim Melville types) and in the 2nd round (Cahill, Anderson, and Tillman are a few top pitching prospects that went in the 2nd round in 2006). Let's get out there and spend this year. It'd be nice to have a top system for the next few years to come.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
I wouldn't mind taking a college bat (1B/DH?, CF?) at #23 and young high school arms with sign-ability concerns with the sandwich pick (Rick Porcello, Tim Melville types) and in the 2nd round (Cahill, Anderson, and Tillman are a few top pitching prospects that went in the 2nd round in 2006). Let's get out there and spend this year. It'd be nice to have a top system for the next few years to come.

Frankly, and this is a good thing to say, now that we have Flowers, there's really no position we can look at the minor leagues and think "We have no one who can take this spot in the next couple years." They won't all succeed, never do, but that's a nice thing to build from. BPA all around.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
It depends. Will Jermaine project to be worth $12M next year? If not you don't offer him arbitration, you just let him walk.

Jermaine has been no where near the most productive RF in the AL over the last 3 seasons. He's definitely hit the most HR but I'd say he's been the 5th or 6th most valuable RF depending on where you rank Ichiro and Nick Markakis.

I think they would probably let him walk. Unless the economy does a complete 180 within the next year, at his age, JD won't be worth anything near 12m. He's comparable overall to Abreu, and what did Abreu get? I believe 5.

I'm not trying to discredit JD in anyway, he's been a very good player for the Sox, just after this contract he's now worth taking a risk of getting stuck with him at that high of a rate.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)

It could also give the Sox the ability to make a decent move during the season. If they're satisfied with the haul they get in the draft, or are expected to get, some of the names they have in the system now might be expendable. I think with the economy there's going to be some quality veterans out there this year, espicially if some teams fall flat on their faces out of the gate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
Frankly, and this is a good thing to say, now that we have Flowers, there's really no position we can look at the minor leagues and think "We have no one who can take this spot in the next couple years." They won't all succeed, never do, but that's a nice thing to build from. BPA all around.

We are still a bit thin in our SP ranks within the organization. There aren't any really exciting types that we have outside of Poreda and he's probably going to be a reliever unless he somehow learns how to throw offspeed pitches this season.

We do have Hudson and Carter who owned in Great Falls last season but that's a long ways away. We really need some electric arms who can move up and take over for Buerhle in a few years.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)
We are still a bit thin in our SP ranks within the organization. There aren't any really exciting types that we have outside of Poreda and he's probably going to be a reliever unless he somehow learns how to throw offspeed pitches this season.

We do have Hudson and Carter who owned in Great Falls last season but that's a long ways away. We really need some electric arms who can move up and take over for Buerhle in a few years.

I agree, but thank goodness it appears that Danks and Floyd worked out. That makes that a lot easier.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
I agree, but thank goodness it appears that Danks and Floyd worked out. That makes that a lot easier.

When your 3 best/most reliable starting pitchers are 23, 26 and 30 and 4, 4 and 3 years away from free agency a lack of starting pitching prospects isn't too worrisome.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
When your 3 best/most reliable starting pitchers are 23, 26 and 30 and 4, 4 and 3 years away from free agency a lack of starting pitching prospects isn't too worrisome.

In fact, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Add in the fact that your 52 year old starter apparently found the fountain of youth in Florida, and it seems even nicer.