West Regional

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 12:24 AM)
Depends on how good those freshman are (Syracuse in 2003 comes to mind). And in Wall (if he signs), Cousins, and Henry, you've got arguably the three best recruits in the country on one team. I like Evans, but I think Wall will easily be better. And he's probably right on par with Rose at the same stage.

Talented group of freshman are a group of freshman. They need elder leadership to get them to play like a team. Calipari doesn't think his s*** smells, and brings in a multitude of 1 and done's. However, Rose really benefited from guys like Dorsey, Anderson, Dozier.......etc

No way a team of AAU 18 year old studs wins anything.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
Talented group of freshman are a group of freshman. They need elder leadership to get them to play like a team. Calipari doesn't think his s*** smells, and brings in a multitude of 1 and done's. However, Rose really benefited from guys like Dorsey, Anderson, Dozier.......etc

No way a team of AAU 18 year old studs wins anything.

OSU came close a couple years ago.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:58 AM)
OSU came close a couple years ago.

That was with Greg Oden and I think OSU had more vets than Memphis will have. Taggert, Mack and Sallie? Not bad, but not national title caliber vets.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
Nope. Unlike most, I think Memphis is a top 5 team in the country. I just couldn't see them going out like that. They obviously took CSN for granted. Once it was time for them to make their move, order was restored.

Oops?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Oops?

Yeah, yeah. lol. I'm getting roasted on the Rivals message boards because I had Memphis in the FF. I still think Memphis is a heck of a team and not just a bi-product of Conference USA. Mizzou played out of their minds last night. 102 points is just abnormal. J.T. Tiller? C'mon. But that's one of the great things about the tourney. You think you can foreshadow what's going to happen and then BOOM! The exact opposite happens.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:08 AM)
That was with Greg Oden and I think OSU had more vets than Memphis will have. Taggert, Mack and Sallie? Not bad, but not national title caliber vets.

Their top 3 players were freshman. Ivan Harris, Ron Lewis and Jamar Butler were the vets. Hey, I'm not saying Memphis should be the favorite next year. I just expect them to be pretty damn good.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
How good can a team really be with a bunch of freshman though? Unless they are landing 3 Evans/Rose caliber recruits, I don't see it.

Henry, Cousins, and Wall are all top 10 players nationally and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wall is a Tyreke Evans level player next year. They also have Nolan Dennis who is a top 40 guy on the RSCI coming in as well as a couple of 4 star Juco guys. Juco guys almost never produce at high levels but they have a ton of talent coming in. Of course they have to land Wall first for this discussion to even matter.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Henry, Cousins, and Wall are all top 10 players nationally and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wall is a Tyreke Evans level player next year. They also have Nolan Dennis who is a top 40 guy on the RSCI coming in as well as a couple of 4 star Juco guys. Juco guys almost never produce at high levels but they have a ton of talent coming in. Of course they have to land Wall first for this discussion to even matter.

I said they would need 3 Rose/Evans caliber players. I highly doubt all 3 of those guys are that elite considering there are less than 3 of those each season.

Another difference between OSU and Memphis is that OSU plays a much more difficult in conference schedule/ conference tournament.

By the time those players were in the NCAA tournament they had already played a lot of tough teams and were much more battle tested then Memphis.

The biggest problem with a weak conference is it doesnt necessarily prepare them for top level teams.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Another difference between OSU and Memphis is that OSU plays a much more difficult in conference schedule/ conference tournament.

By the time those players were in the NCAA tournament they had already played a lot of tough teams and were much more battle tested then Memphis.

The biggest problem with a weak conference is it doesnt necessarily prepare them for top level teams.

Well, they were a few missed free throws away from winning it all last year. I see what you're saying, though.

That was a good game. Mizzou couldn't hit a 3 for most of the 2nd half, but they played pretty well. They showed everyone they belonged in the Elite 8. Great season Tigers.

On a side note, that also concluded a perfect West Region for my bracket.

Mizzou's got nothing to be ashamed of. They gave arguably the best team in one of the deepest conferences in D1 history a run for their money. I figured this would be the game UConn would really miss Jerome Dyson. Then Kemba Walker has his best game of the season. You just can't predict things like that. Again, that's what makes the tourney so special.