Gavin Floyd signs 4-year extension

DaTank

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
There were at least four pitches he threw last night where I exclaimed "holy s***, where did that come from", sweeping curves for third strikes, dotting corners.

I honestly never knew this guy had this in him based on April and May and his career numbers, despite the relatively less amount of success he was able to have. I don't think at any point during last season he was close to this dominant for this many starts in a row.

This is the strangest turnaround I've ever seen in one season from one player. Can anyone else think of a player who put such bad numbers up for six weeks, and then incredible numbers? I guess Paul Konerko 2003 comes to mind.

I remember JD started out really slowly in 2005.

Tim Raines had one season where he was under .200 into mid-May when he was expected to be one of our best players, then turned it around.

Juan Uribe the first two months of 2004 was incredible, hitting around 400+ most of that time.

Of course, Contreras (05-06) and Loaiza (2003) also come to mind from a pitching standpoint, in terms of their dominance seemingly coming out of nowhere.

Felix Diaz beating the Cubs once at Wrigley, lol.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
I remember JD started out really slowly in 2005.

Tim Raines had one season where he was under .200 into mid-May when he was expected to be one of our best players, then turned it around.

Juan Uribe the first two months of 2004 was incredible, hitting around 400+ most of that time.

Of course, Contreras (05-06) and Loaiza (2003) also come to mind from a pitching standpoint, in terms of their dominance seemingly coming out of nowhere.

Felix Diaz beating the Cubs once at Wrigley, lol.

Actually that was at the Cell, and i was there for that game :) Thats the same day KW aqcuired big game Freddy. That was by far one of my happiest White Sox days of this decade.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Actually that was at the Cell, and i was there for that game :) Thats the same day KW aqcuired big game Freddy. That was by far one of my happiest White Sox days of this decade.

Felix Diaz beat the Cubs on a Saturday at Wrigley. I believe Zambrano got the loss for the Cubs. We beat them that Sunday also, as Maddux got the loss for them. That Sunday was the day we traded for Garcia.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

The Freddy trade was the next Day .

Diaz pitched Saturday, the trade happened Sunday.

;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Felix Diaz beat the Cubs on a Saturday at Wrigley. I believe Zambrano got the loss for the Cubs. We beat them that Sunday also, as Maddux got the loss for them. That Sunday was the day we traded for Garcia.

Yup that's what I remember. I also remember a HR from Big MO to LF.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
No s***.

As for your boy Garland, a 5.04 ERA and a 7.51 ERA at Chase Field in 8 starts (while starting in the NL) off the back of a 4.90 ERA season, indicates that he isn't what he once was.

Has he completely lost his stuff, or is he just pitching poorly? I haven't actually seen him pitch in a while.

If there's any tandem that seemed to know how to create the "good" Garland, it's Coop and OZ.

As for Floyd, he's a better and more talented pitcher, IMO. The fact that when he's ON he pitches shutouts, and that he's flirted with no-no's multiple times in a young career, tells me he has a high ceiling and really justifies his lofty status as a super-high pick with huge expectations.

He wasn't ready to live up to it in Philly, the cruelest of sports towns, but Coop really is a terrific pitching coach, and Ozzie's tough love has generally been good for our hurlers, including Floyd. Gavin is becoming "tougher" than most of us ever thought he could be, and most importantly, he's becoming consistent, with 8 consecutive quality starts.

Perhaps this is a good time to mention the likely influence, whether direct or only by example, that Buehrle has on the rest of the staff. Consistency, toughness and moving forward after mistake pitches and errors behind him are the intangibles that define his subtle and unique greatness.

I'd have to do some research, but in this era, and perhaps all time, I'll make the prediction that when his career is over, MB will have outperformed any other pitcher that allowed as many hits per inning.

Apologies, for my tendency to profess my nearly-queer love for MB, regardless of thread topic. :headbang

It would be really nice if every GM could wait and be 100% certain before making an offer. So too would be the player. That would result in always buying high. Every contract is a gamble. The guy plays worse than expected, he wins. He plays better than expected, the team wins. This seems like a pretty decent gamble on both parts.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
Yup that's what I remember. I also remember a HR from Big MO to LF.

I remember that day as well. I was en route to a softball game in DeKalb and it came on the radio and I s*** myself. Freddy was a really big deal then. I also vividly remember where I was the day we dealt away B-Mac (Walgreens in f***ing Rockford, ugh) and the day we traded for Thome (leaving a Blockbuster).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
I remember that day as well. I was en route to a softball game in DeKalb and it came on the radio and I s*** myself. Freddy was a really big deal then. I also vividly remember where I was the day we dealt away B-Mac (Walgreens in f***ing Rockford, ugh) and the day we traded for Thome (leaving a Blockbuster).

ha, get it, Blockbuster, and it was a blockbuster trade. I love myself.

Gavin Floyd still rocks my bod.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
ha, get it, Blockbuster, and it was a blockbuster trade. I love myself.

Gavin Floyd still rocks my bod.

Kinda interesting that Miguel Olivo and Jeremy Reed netted us Freddy Garcia who helped the White Sox win a championship, who netted us Gavin Floyd who could in fact help us net ANOTHER championship. Good work on that one KW!