Gavin Floyd signs 4-year extension

DaTank

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Honestly I have no idea how there can be any negative reaction to this signing buying out his arb years, especially from the folks who clammored for us to re-sign Garland.

Well I guess the thought is there, if Floyd has a bad year over the next 2 seasons, the Sox could probably be paying him less than what they're paying him with this contract, but then again, if he pitches well, then we're going to be paying less.

I like having the cost certainity, but then again, there are risks invovled.

Honestly I have no idea how there can be any negative reaction to this signing buying out his arb years, especially from the folks who clammored for us to re-sign Garland.

Perhaps because the last pitcher we signed to buy his arbitrtation years completely blew up and it was for less money? The Sox bought high on a pitcher with a shaky track record. Here's rotoworld's take.

White Sox agreed to terms with RHP Gavin Floyd on a four-year, $15.5 million contract with a club option for 2013.

Floyd will make $750,000 this year, $2.75 million in 2010, $5 million in 2011 and $7 million in 2012. The 2013 option would buy out his first year of free agency and is worth $9.5 million. It's not the kind of investment that's going to bankrupt the White Sox even if it goes bad, but it's still more than they should have spent on a pitcher who has had just one good season and gave up 30 homers in that one.

Sounds like a fair assessment.

Edited by santo=dorf

• 1 month later...

Still way too early to determine if the extension was a mistake or not. But Gavin is straight bad right now. You got some guys who are struggling (take Jon Lester for example) who's peripheral stats suggest he's throwing better than his ERA suggests. That's not at all the case for Gavin.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Still way too early to determine if the extension was a mistake or not. But Gavin is straight bad right now. You got some guys who are struggling (take Jon Lester for example) who's peripheral stats suggest he's throwing better than his ERA suggests. That's not at all the case for Gavin.

oh yeah we know,that is just santo pouring salt on the wound.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 17, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Beats starting a new thread after every start. It's fun to see stuff come full circle.

Well I am gald its fun for you just for the sake of proving a post that you made correct.

• 1 month later...

Very nice run, and looking at the overall numbers you would say he's had a solid season, but he was actually very terrible in one part and tremendous in the other. Is this better than a consistent Jon Garland who would end up with the same line?

The season's not over yet, nor the contract but I still think it was a risky move. I'm rooting for him!

Edited by santo=dorf

The difference is....

1) Garland was almost never consistently "dominant" where he would shut down opposing teams or throw more than an occasional shutout

2) Garland never was a strikeout pitcher...he was always more of a finesse guy, even though his FB was sometimes 92-93

3) Garland never really showed that he was anything but a 3-4 guy with us, Floyd continues to have more "upside" by far over the entire length of that contract...like Jose, he can be simply dominant when he has complete confidence in his stuff

4) Garland has/had better control, but Floyd can be a "quality" starts machine, whereas Garland was usually giving up 3-4 runs per game (it seemed, just my perception...don't hate Garland, but nor was he close to my favorite player either)

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
Very nice run, and looking at the overall numbers you would say he's had a solid season, but he was actually very terrible in one part and tremendous in the other. Is this better than a consistent Jon Garland who would end up with the same line?

The season's not over yet, nor the contract but I still think it was a risky move. I'm rooting for him!

No s***.

As for your boy Garland, a 5.04 ERA and a 7.51 ERA at Chase Field in 8 starts (while starting in the NL) off the back of a 4.90 ERA season, indicates that he isn't what he once was.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)

You had a post I couldn't find where you calculated the impropable numbers Gavin would have to put up for the rest of the year to match last season. Aside from the win total (which he won't touch), it's almost as if he's tried to match those numbers since then.

Was just looking at some old posts (circa 2007... thank you for pointing them out Tony) that are priceless...

Including some that were absolutely brutal slams of Gavin and suggested dumping him in favor of Charlie Haeger, etc. LOL.

That's gotta make some sort of top 10 list.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
Was just looking at some old posts (circa 2007... thank you for pointing them out Tony) that are priceless...

Including some that were absolutely brutal slams of Gavin and suggested dumping him in favor of Charlie Haeger, etc. LOL.

That's gotta make some sort of top 10 list.

What next, Gartrell or Cook will be starting at a corner OF spot in 2010?

So what do you think of Shelby's season so far? Sort of a disappointment, I would imagine...although not an unmitigated disaster, and his OPS is still quite a bit higher than Viciedo's, mostly because of the higher walk totals.

Seems that Getz/Fields/Shelby are really the ones who might be on the outside looking in. Having a Danks/Mitchell/Quentin outfield is pretty exciting with it's possibilities, and maybe Shelby could be a 4th/5th OF, back-up infielder (like Ozuna in a way) and PRer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
What next, Gartrell or Cook will be starting at a corner OF spot in 2010?

So what do you think of Shelby's season so far? Sort of a disappointment, I would imagine...although not an unmitigated disaster, and his OPS is still quite a bit higher than Viciedo's, mostly because of the higher walk totals.

Seems that Getz/Fields/Shelby are really the ones who might be on the outside looking in. Having a Danks/Mitchell/Quentin outfield is pretty exciting with it's possibilities, and maybe Shelby could be a 4th/5th OF, back-up infielder (like Ozuna in a way) and PRer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-sequitor

Ironically, the entry for non-sequitor is spelled wrong!!!!

Should be a -UR ending.

I just added that comment because it reminded me of the poster who always had David Cook's picture on every message...that there would many comparing Haeger to Wakefield and Hough and the Niekro's and thinking that he could be a mainstay of our rotation.

And I wanted to see what "scenario" had to say about Shelby...even though it's a Gavin Floyd thread.

By the way, does anyone think Jon Danks would take Gavin's contract if offered again today?

PS: Can I file a formal complaint my "Piniella comments" thread was highjacked by a minor league attendance discussion tangent, lol???

Edited by caulfield12

There were at least four pitches he threw last night where I exclaimed "holy s***, where did that come from", sweeping curves for third strikes, dotting corners.

I honestly never knew this guy had this in him based on April and May and his career numbers, despite the relatively less amount of success he was able to have. I don't think at any point during last season he was close to this dominant for this many starts in a row.

This is the strangest turnaround I've ever seen in one season from one player. Can anyone else think of a player who put such bad numbers up for six weeks, and then incredible numbers? I guess Paul Konerko 2003 comes to mind.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
There were at least four pitches he threw last night where I exclaimed "holy s***, where did that come from", sweeping curves for third strikes, dotting corners.

I honestly never knew this guy had this in him based on April and May and his career numbers, despite the relatively less amount of success he was able to have. I don't think at any point during last season he was close to this dominant for this many starts in a row.

This is the strangest turnaround I've ever seen in one season from one player. Can anyone else think of a player who put such bad numbers up for six weeks, and then incredible numbers? I guess Paul Konerko 2003 comes to mind.

Alexei Ramirez 2008 Post May

Edited by rangercal