My dial has permanently hit ESPN 1000

Steve9347

Chicago Sports Radio  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which Station are You On More?

• ESPN 1000
    • The Score 670

Am I the only one who now pretty much leaves it on ESPN 1000 all day long?

Mike and Mike > Mully and Hanley

Waddel and Silvy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hampton and Holmes

Turico and Van Pelt >>>>>>>>>> Murph

...and now that Carmen is on the afternoon saloon and there's one non-buffoon on the show, it's actually becoming more enjoyable than Boers and Bernstein.

In my opinion, 670 is in some trouble with the younger listener (yes I'm 26 and still calling myself that).

Discuss.

Edited by Steve9347

Well im 22 and prob listen to 670 more lol. I like Mike and Mike but it just seems they are on commercial breaks more than anything else and nobody repeats the same topics over and over in a single broadcast as much as those two. Plus, I like knowing more about the local teams which they obviously dont cover that much.

I used to listen to either/or, depending on the specific discussions going on, I really didn't care what station it was on. But more and more, it became commercial break after commercial break on both stations, and I got sick of listening to 25 minutes of commercials and 15 minutes of actual talk in comparison. So now I listen to music, or sat radio.

Usually I switch back and forth between Mully and Hanley and Mike and Mike in the morning...

Waddle and Silvy (and Steve, c'mon man! WADDLE! not Waddel. He played for the Bears for 6 years although I don't think he remembers half of it with all the shots he took) in the mid-morning...and then I switch back and forth between Afternoon Saloon and B&B, although I think I listen to B&B more, but I am getting sick of their holier-than-thou attitudes.

• 6-10: Mully and Hanley, I like the local angle, but Mike and Mike is ok if M&H are talking about something I dont care about. So, i go both ways depending on content.
  • 10-noon: Either, depends on content
  • 12-2: Absolutely 1000, or even WGN. I can't STAND Murph.
  • 2-6: B&B all the way
  • 6-10: Normally dont have the radio on. And if I am driving, I have the iPod plugged in.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
Weird is a good thing on the internet. Thanks for the compliment. :D

Oh, I meant it as a compliment, bro. I had to watch it five to six times just to grasp what each of the crazy owls was bringing to the table.

Nutness.

i listen to both stations during commercials and whatnot, but here are the shows i prefer

I like Mulligan and Hanley alot. Mike and Mike are entertaining, but too often talk about meaningless crap and have too many commercials and talk about alot of national stuff i dotn care about. They also lose points for having the tool of all tools Eric Kusileos stand in like every other day. So advantage Mully and Hanley. Though they need to drop the stupid big doug routine.

Waddle and Silvy is the best of the best on sports talk radio. Love me some would you rather...its hilarious. Thankfully they go an extra hour now carrying over into the national stuff from 12-2. They are funny, smart, talk sports and aren't enormous dickheads like B&B. I don't dislike holmes, but hampton is the new mike north, unlistenable. They really should bring the Me and Z show back instead of hamp

12-2 Now I listen to Waddle and Silvy since they go til 1. But from 1-2 its rough. ESPN used to have the Tirico and Van Pelt show, which somehow managed to have both Tirico and Van Pelt on air together maybe 5% of the time. In only 2 hours, a national show can't cover anything in depth enough to listen, especially when its commercialized like espn. Murph is sometimes unlistenable, especially during baseball offseason. There are times though when the murph show really has good baseball talk (john dewan) and he actually knows a decent amount about the game. You just have to get past his insufferable clown like noises and his whole act.

Afternoon - I hate B&B, which is a shame becuase Dan Bernstein has the ability to be really good, but hes such an ass and so closed minded (even if he is one of the smarter guys on air). Boers is worthless...I'm pretty sure they just play the sound clip of a dog drowning gasping for air for Boers. The saloon should also be better than it is, but it is the better of the two shows IMO. I love Carmen, and love Harry. They are knowledgable and funny. Jurko is a moron, but i understand hes there for entertainment. I wish the show stuck to actual sports issues more though and didnt stray into other crap.

I dont really listen after those shows.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Dislike: Jurko and Harry

Like: Not listening to the show.

Concise and quite accurate. Defalco is harmless and forgettable while the other two are just offensive.

Also, Dan Hampton might be the dumbest man on the Chicago airwaves which is saying a lot. Talk about completely clueless. Can't say I listen to a lot of Sports radio but if I were to tune in I'd probably go: Mike & Mike (assuming Kuselias isn't filling in and they're actually talking sports), Waddle and Silvy, sit in silence until 2 o'clock, Boers and Bernstein (easily the best show of the 2 stations).

It's close, but I think Dan Patrick at night makes me listen to 670 more. I basically station hop to see who has a better topic, except 12-2, the Score NEVER goes on a radio I'm listening to during that time. I really like Tirico and Van Pelt, so I will listen to their whole show often on my Sirius feed, same thing with Brian Kenney (sp?) show at night

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Concise and quite accurate. Defalco is harmless and forgettable while the other two are just offensive.

Also, Mike Hampton might be the dumbest man on the Chicago airwaves which is saying a lot. Talk about completely clueless. Can't say I listen to a lot of Sports radio but if I were to tune in I'd probably go: Mike & Mike (assuming Kuselias isn't filling in and they're actually talking sports), Waddle and Silvy, sit in silence until 2 o'clock, Boers and Bernstein (easily the best show of the 2 stations).

I'm not being a dick, but the washed up pitcher doesn't broadcast for a chicago outlet... yet... I assume you mean Dan Hampton? I agree, he is so annoying, EVERYTHING relates to football with him. I do like Holmes a lot, I think he has developed into an excellent broadcaster

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
I'm not being a dick, but the washed up pitcher doesn't broadcast for a chicago outlet... yet... I assume you mean Dan Hampton? I agree, he is so annoying, EVERYTHING relates to football with him. I do like Holmes a lot, I think he has developed into an excellent broadcaster

Good catch. That didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. Obviously I was talking about Dan Hampton. I only heard the first 15 minutes of their show today but Holmes had some good things to say about the sox (mostly speaking of the disappointment in hearing Dewyane Wise named the leadoff hitter), luckily Hampton didn't say a word, I called it a win and got out of the car.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Good catch. That didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. Obviously I was talking about Dan Hampton. I only heard the first 15 minutes of their show today but Holmes had some good things to say about the sox (mostly speaking of the disappointment in hearing Dewyane Wise named the leadoff hitter), luckily Hampton didn't say a word, I called it a win and got out of the car.

I wouldnt be surprised if Dan didnt accidentally call himself Mike.

Hampton is just awful

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
I wouldnt be surprised if Dan didnt accidentally call himself Mike.

Hampton is just awful

Yeah, I love Law Holmes, and was enjoying his solo show. Then Dan Hampton joined and it became mind-numbing. First, he's mind-numbing, second, the idiot middle-aged to older Bears fans who call in and only want to talk about the good old days.