If Pods gets recalled, will Fields change his #?

Steve9347

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When we picked him up [on April 14 as a free agent], I told [equipment manager] Vinny Fresso, 'Take [the number],' " Fields said, adding that Podsednik hadn't asked for the number. "I really don't want to wear it now. Why do you want to wear a number that a guy won a World Series with? We'll see what happens when we get home."

Fields didn't have to give in... I'm glad he did though. Good for team chemistry, I bet Pods makes it up to Josh somehow. The question now is... will Pods want to change his number after going 2-4?

Josh Fields #69 FTW!

I hope Josh or someone higher up reads the board. He HAS to go back to 27. If he believes in superstitions as well as Pods I guess does. In 2007, he was a stud wearing that number, and I believe someone on this site has his jersey with the #27 from a couple years ago. So Josh, or a sox brass official, if your reading this.... 2 f***ing 7 is the number for Josh Fields. He actually looks better with that number IMO. (actually said that 5-6 months ago)

And Pods, you better pony up a grand or two for that.

Oh and maybe someday someone can tell Brian Anderson to go back to 44. He just doesn't look good wearing 32.

f***ing lame. He's a former first round pick, our starting 3B and #2 hitter and yet he's relinquishing his number to our 4th CF who signed a minor league contract 2 weeks ago and hasn't been a starting caliber player since 2005. Unfortunately Josh didn't have much of a choice.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 2, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
f***ing lame. He's a former first round pick, our starting 3B and #2 hitter and yet he's relinquishing his number to our 4th CF who signed a minor league contract 2 weeks ago and hasn't been a starting caliber player since 2005. Unfortunately Josh didn't have much of a choice.

It seems like he wanted to give Pods back the number. It also just seems like one of those situations where Josh can do something that will bring the team together. Everyone seems happy that Pods is back (except BA probably), and if they can build off that and get the wheels turning than its worth changing a number over.

I hope you didn't buy the #22 Fields Jersey just yet.

That begs the question; if Wise comes back at the end of May does he automatically get a roster spot? If Anderson is still hitting and Pods is doing his usual act what happens with Wise when he's ready to return? Do we say goodbye to Podsednik because you can't lose a job due to injury?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 6, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
This sucks. Yea, let's give up my number to a s***ty player who should be our 4th outfielder soon. I would be extremely pissed if I bought a Fields jersey.

That's the key word, and I'm still not counting on it. BA = Bench Assistant. Go get my gatorade, get a number from one of your hunnies for me, suck pudding off my toes, that sort of thing.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 6, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
This sucks. Yea, let's give up my number to a s***ty player who should be our 4th outfielder soon. I would be extremely pissed if I bought a Fields jersey.

They had to do something to help KW's prediction that Josh Fields would have the most jerseys sold this year. Changing his number helps. The Fields family has to go back to the store.

It's ridiculous. Scott Podsednik is just simply not a good enough player to pull this s***, he's been a marginal ballplayer for the majority of his career, HE'S the guy that other should be giving up his number to a new acquired star, not the other way around. Just the fact that Podsednik was willing to ask our STARTING THIRD BASEMAN to kindly relinquish his number bothers me.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
It's ridiculous. Scott Podsednik is just simply not a good enough player to pull this s***, he's been a marginal ballplayer for the majority of his career, HE'S the guy that other should be giving up his number to a new acquired star, not the other way around. Just the fact that Podsednik was willing to ask our STARTING THIRD BASEMAN to kindly relinquish his number bothers me.

I believe Fields had said he really didn't like the idea of wearing a former world series winners number who's back on the team...he said it didn't feel right. And no matter how bad Pods is, that's exactly right.

And let's stop pretending like Fields is a "star". He's not.

This gangrape soxtalk mentality for and against certain players is the most annoying thing about this place.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)

did he relinquish his number or take number 7 when Owens left?