Are We Looking to Trade for a CF'er?

elrockinMT

Apparently the rumor mill is burning hot with info that the Sox may be searching for a CF'er to trade for and that Aaron Rowand may be a target for KW. If the Giants are seruious contenders in the NL West would they actually consider this deal? Would the Sox take on a big contract? Interesting speculation anyway. Discuss amongst yourselves.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
Apparently the rumor mill is burning hot with info that the Sox may be searching for a CF'er to trade for and that Aaron Rowand may be a target for KW. If the Giants are seruious contenders in the NL West would they actually consider this deal? Would the Sox take on a big contract? Interesting speculation anyway. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Typical.

We cry poor, and say we can't afford to add anyone decent into the CF mix.

Next, we go after one of the most overpaid guys in the game because he used to play for us.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)

There is no rumor mill on this. Joe Cowley decides to publish a personal wish list. Then MLBTR picks it up, then others run on that. The internet explodes little tidbits like this. Just ignore and move along.

I imagine the Sox had interest in him when he was a FA a few years back and they passed due to the contract, I can't imagine them willing to take that on in the new market.

The Sox have put themselves in GREAT position payroll wise, even if the market goes back up some and won't mind them taking on a bigger contract later this season as long as it's a very good player, and to me, even with the void at CF, Rowand doesn't fit that description.

Funny, SF is trying to win, Rowand is off to a hot start, how in the world would they trade him and eat half the contract? Just some more Cowley BS. They can't afford guys making $3 million a year for 1 or 2 years, but Rowand even at half his salary and 4 years to go, they can afford. Right, Joe. What a hack.

Edited by Dick Allen

Why not? We dropped our pay roll this off season by 17M and Thome and Dye are FA after this season. I think the move is a must just for the sure excitement alone. Rowand is a great ball player that brings something a little extra in the clubhouse. Plu she wants to be back in the Chi to watch Cutler and Da Bears!

Seriously.

This is just dumb, dumb, dumb.

If Brian Anderson plays like Kenny has "promised," with 20-25 homers and 60-80 RBI's, that's almost as good as Rowand, and Anderson is the far better/superior defender.

Why would we want to hamstring our ability to go after starting pitching next year by committing millions we don't have to Aaron Rowand? That would be silly. We have to replace Contreras and Colon (probably) and we don't have one player in our system (Poreda, Richard, Marquez, Marquez, Egbert) that's ready to step in at this point, so we will have to go the FA route.

MacDougal will be gone within a week or two, probably Contreras, Thome and Dye...that's around $35 million. Of course, we will have more increases in our Year 3-6 players (Gavin Floyd goes up by $2 million, for example, Danks will get paid too, somehow), but we SHOULD have at least $20-25 million to play around with.

Rowand will be 32 at the end of this season. There's no reason to think he would be anything better than an average American League CFer at this point in his career.

KW is not crazy...this is a move he will never make, if for no other reason than KW's stubborn streak to prove he wasn't wrong putting CF in Anderson's hands/glove 3 seasons ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
Of the candidates to be targeted by KW, Rowand and that contract are probably near the bottom.

It all depends on what the Giants want to do with Rowand. If they regret that contract and can get rid of about half of it (with them picking up the other half) it might be a good move on there part, especially if they get a guy like Poreda or better out of it. His 08 numbers weren't great, but he's clearly a significant upgrade over what the club currently has. He'd also slide in nicely to the 2nd spot in the lineup, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
It all depends on what the Giants want to do with Rowand. If they regret that contract and can get rid of about half of it (with them picking up the other half) it might be a good move on there part, especially if they get a guy like Poreda or better out of it. His 08 numbers weren't great, but he's clearly a significant upgrade over what the club currently has. He'd also slide in nicely to the 2nd spot in the lineup, imo.

My thoughts as well. Payroll aside, I'd consider Rowand a pretty big upgrade. He can hit 2nd, behind Getz. But for it to be a good deal for the Sox, the Giants need to eat a lot of his salary, and any prospects/players traded wille effect the equation. But for the right deal, I'd be pretty happy.

QUOTE (BUZZ @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Correction, we need a CF and a lead off hitter. How about Juan Pierre what would he cost?

Taveras=too expensive for KW's liking, $6.25 million for 2 years

Ichiro=maybe, would be the biggest move White Sox have made in years, cost in talent?...is Ichiro worth it, with age/declining ability?

Bourn=low OBP

Pierre=contract, what would we have to give up to get them to eat most of it? horrible arm, so-so defense, not very good OBP

Figgins=would the Angels give him up now? FA after 2009, most debated name (along with Roberts) on most Sox boards the last 2-3 years

Carlos Gomez=can he get on base? would the Twins dare trade him to White Sox? would Harrelson have a heart attack?

Alex Rios=would be good option to replace Dye, but he can't play CF...he could certainly be a leadoff hitter though

Damon=can't play CF anymore, arm, injuries, too expensive

Rajai Davis=low OBP

Randy Winn=one of the best of the worst options out there, veteran, can handle bat, not really a CFer at this point but would be tolerable and better than the likes of Griffey, Swisher and Mackowiak for sure

Fred Lewis=better option than Winn, but more expensive in terms of cost of acquisition, a younger CoCo Crisp

Kaz Matsui=we already have too many middle infielders

Cesar Izturis=see Matsui, just signed by Orioles

Milledge=not a very good CFer, questionable head/psych profile

Nate McLouth=could be had, but very high price

Abreu=KW passed, not a CFer either

Gathright or Pie

Dickerson, Cincy

Blanco, Braves' AAA

J. Werth=don't want to buy "high" on him at this point

Crisp=KW passed apparently

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Maybe we can get Zito too

Let's not go crazy here. :lol: I wouldn't mind seeing Rowand back-don't think it is going to happen mind you- but BZ is not on my list for sure. I want to give Brian the chance and isn't he the reason we traded Aaron in the first place? Things do come around though don't they

Let's not forget, in KW's mind, either John Shelby III or Jordan Danks could be our CFer in late 2009 or 2010....so taking on a Rowand contract long-term blocks both of those kids, unless we move Shelby back to 2B. At 2B, we would be eliminating Getz and either Ramirez or Beckham, so I can't see KW going for more than a one or two year contract on any CFer while he waits for Ramirez/Beckham/Shelby/Jor. Danks to settle into their possible roles.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Taveras=too expensive for KW's liking, $6.25 million for 2 years

Ichiro=maybe, would be the biggest move White Sox have made in years, cost in talent?...is Ichiro worth it, with age/declining ability?

Bourn=low OBP

Pierre=contract, what would we have to give up to get them to eat most of it? horrible arm, so-so defense, not very good OBP

Figgins=would the Angels give him up now? FA after 2009, most debated name (along with Roberts) on most Sox boards the last 2-3 years

Carlos Gomez=can he get on base? would the Twins dare trade him to White Sox? would Harrelson have a heart attack?

Alex Rios=would be good option to replace Dye, but he can't play CF...he could certainly be a leadoff hitter though

Damon=can't play CF anymore, arm, injuries, too expensive

Rajai Davis=low OBP

Randy Winn=one of the best of the worst options out there, veteran, can handle bat, not really a CFer at this point but would be tolerable and better than the likes of Griffey, Swisher and Mackowiak for sure

Fred Lewis=better option than Winn, but more expensive in terms of cost of acquisition, a younger CoCo Crisp

Kaz Matsui=we already have too many middle infielders

Cesar Izturis=see Matsui, just signed by Orioles

Milledge=not a very good CFer, questionable head/psych profile

Nate McLouth=could be had, but very high price

Abreu=KW passed, not a CFer either

Gathright or Pie

Dickerson, Cincy

Blanco, Braves' AAA

J. Werth=don't want to buy "high" on him at this point

Crisp=KW passed apparently

I would crap my pants if we could get Nate McLouth. Depending on what we had to give up he would be perfect. And to think the Pirates were giving him away before last season....

I'm leaning towards the thought that Rowand would be an upgrade. I don't know about huge, but an upgrade. We've pretty much hammered the Wise/Owens situation, and the jury's still out on Anderson (although I don't think BA has gotten a fair shot yet). The only way I would think acquiring Rowand would be a good deal is if a big portion of his contract is eaten.

Besides, he'd be a good 2nd hitter and a decent CF.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
I would crap my pants if we could get Nate McLouth. Depending on what we had to give up he would be perfect. And to think the Pirates were giving him away before last season....

McLouth would be worth moving some big prospects not named Beckham for and maybe an arm out of the pen.

What salary could KW move in a Rowand move to help with the inflated salary? MacDougal of course. Anyone else? Linebrink? Betemit? Dye? How about an outfield of Pods, Rowand, TCQ? What is KW up to?

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 16, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I'm leaning towards the thought that Rowand would be an upgrade. I don't know about huge, but an upgrade. We've pretty much hammered the Wise/Owens situation, and the jury's still out on Anderson (although I don't think BA has gotten a fair shot yet). The only way I would think acquiring Rowand would be a good deal is if a big portion of his contract is eaten.

Besides, he'd be a good 2nd hitter and a decent CF.

He is defenitily an upgrade over what we have, but he is not worth taking on that huge contract. i seriously doubt the giants would be willing to trade him and eat some of his contract. no way this happens.

Edited by soxfan3530