White Sox Acquire Andy Phillips

chisox2334

Is he going to play on the major league roster? I'm a bit confused. Who will he replace? I assume this is more of a depth move and he might eventually slide onto the big league roster as a utility guy. I assume they'll replace Owens with him (unless Pods sticks) and than use Lillibridge as the primary backup in CF.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
Is he going to play on the major league roster? I'm a bit confused. Who will he replace? I assume this is more of a depth move and he might eventually slide onto the big league roster as a utility guy. I assume they'll replace Owens with him (unless Pods sticks) and than use Lillibridge as the primary backup in CF.

AAA. But, it is interesting to read that Phillips may have made the Bucs opening roster if not for an injury. I am assuming he is just insurance in case of an injury to one of the If'ers on our roster now

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Trying to avoid having the worst International League team in history!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL. Yep. He's a heckuva triple-A player.

Gotta give people in Charlotte a reason to show up.

Minor league deal. No biggie. I knew "Doobie" wouldn't amount to anything with the Sox organization. I still the Sox shouldn't given up Iguchi to Phillies so easily after Utley went down. It made the 2007 team look even more like the Pirates.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Minor league deal. No biggie. I knew "Doobie" wouldn't amount to anything with the Sox organization. I still the Sox shouldn't given up Iguchi to Phillies so easily after Utley went down. It made the 2007 team look even more like the Pirates.

However, if you don't make that trade, do the Sox get a high enough pick to get Beckham?

A Sad Day in White Sox History

Nearly as quickly as the glorious start to his White Sox career started, it was quickly brought to an end. Michael Dubee, the man acquired for Tadahito Iguchi, has been traded to the Pirates for journeyman-infielder Andy Phillips. Say, it with me Andy, “We’re not worthy”

However, if you don't make that trade, do the Sox get a high enough pick to get Beckham?

I'll never root for the Sox to lose, and it seems like the Sox were just as bad after the deadline with the exception of a late September "run" to fight off the Royals. It's not like Beckham was the last good pick in that draft. Who's to the say the Sox wouldn't have finished lower that year if they get some struggling veterans?

This is just an organizational depth move. Their junk for our junk, our junk is younger and may turn into an effective reliever someday (prolly not) and their junk is older with no ceiling to speak of. The main difference is that their junk has had some AB's in the majors and our junk has never been above AA. So the junk that we got is more useful to us in the immediate future.