Poll - finding the pulse of Filibuster posters

lostfan

How do you want the Filibuster "Party" threads managed?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer discussions in the Democrat and Republican threads?

• It should be ONLY for Democrats and ONLY for Republicans (like-minded moderates at most)
    • It's ok for the "other side" to post if it's something I mostly agree with
    • I don't mind differing views in the thread if they are respectful of where they are posting
    • I don't like the idea of catch-all party threads in the first place
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. Do you think certain posters cross the line too often? (

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't bother me

Since arguments are regular in the Democrat and Republican threads now I want to find out what you guys think we mods should do, if anything. I don't know if you guys think the arguments are constructive or if you are annoyed by them and want them to go away.

Ultimately what happens is incumbent on you guys though. Me, NSS, Rex, or whomever else can't hover over everyone's posts and/or keep splitting off new topics to keep everyone happy. If there is something you don't like when other posters do, then respect everyone else and don't do it yourself.

I see nothing wrong with a healthy debate as long as people are respectful. i try my best not to name call, and I really only cross into the Rep thread to defend or to debate. If I have something anti-Rep, I'll post it in the Dem thread. And there are times when I have something POSITIVE to add to the Rep thread since I am an independent and there are times I agree with the GOP.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
You really want the truth? Get rid of the filibuster, and political conversation altogether.

I kind of like it personally. I know there will be arguments and all but that's the nature of the beast.

I can honestly say that posting here makes me smarter, most of the time.

Edited by lostfan

We go through this same exercise every time we hit a vehemently discussed issue that comes up in a number of ways. I have very few problems with how things currently sit. If it's getting on your nerves, the options are very simple; use the ignore button or take a few days off from the Filibuster. There's a reason I disappeared from PHT last night mid-game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
We go through this same exercise every time we hit a vehemently discussed issue that comes up in a number of ways. I have very few problems with how things currently sit. If it's getting on your nerves, the options are very simple; use the ignore button or take a few days off from the Filibuster. There's a reason I disappeared from PHT last night mid-game.

I guess my issue is that most of the time, no one is going to change their minds and it just goes on and on and on. Myself included, duh.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)

I just want to find out where the majority of the regulars sit on this, that's all. If the consensus is that I need to do nothing, then that's fine.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
I just want to find out where the majority of the regulars sit on this, that's all. If the consensus is that I need to do nothing, then that's fine.

I think the solution is for you to ship Giordano's to the rest of us. That'll brighten the mood in here so rapidly...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
I think the solution is for you to ship Giordano's to the rest of us. That'll brighten the mood in here so rapidly...

:lolhitting

Maybe if you all lived in one place. The shipping is too expensive.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Contentious issues that are generating a lot of posts (eg torture memos) should be split out of Dem/ Rep threads and into their own discussion, imo.

that too. the whole torture debate was happening in both the Dem and Rep thread. It would seem to make sense to split it off into its own.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Contentious issues that are generating a lot of posts (eg torture memos) should be split out of Dem/ Rep threads and into their own discussion, imo.

That's the current source of the heat, and it's both threads, and that's my thought as well. I would have split off and started a new thread a couple days ago but I'm at work, and that takes too long. Perhaps if someone started a thread on it, then everyone would gravitate towards it?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
That's the current source of the heat, and it's both threads, and that's my thought as well. I would have split off and started a new thread a couple days ago but I'm at work, and that takes too long. Perhaps if someone started a thread on it, then everyone would gravitate towards it?

Forget it. I'll just stop posting about it. That will solve the problem because I'm the only one that keeps going.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Forget it. I'll just stop posting about it. That will solve the problem because I'm the only one that keeps going.

I was trying to avoid that. I don't want anybody to stop posting/arguing. I mean I get that it's a contentious issue, that's why we have this subforum.

It's not just you arguing by the way, it's kind of the political hot topic of the week.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I was trying to avoid that. I don't want anybody to stop posting/arguing. I mean I get that it's a contentious issue, that's why we have this subforum.

It's not just you arguing by the way, it's kind of the political hot topic of the week.

I know, personally, I drop out if I have said all I have to say and have nothing more to add. There's no need to beat a dead horse. If I am just repeating myself, then what's the point? I've said my peace, I move on. If a comment down the lines warrants further comment, I may chime in, but I may not.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
I know, personally, I drop out if I have said all I have to say and have nothing more to add. There's no need to beat a dead horse. If I am just repeating myself, then what's the point? I've said my peace, I move on. If a comment down the lines warrants further comment, I may chime in, but I may not.

The majority of your anti-GOP posts stay in the Democrat thread, I don't really see how anybody would have a problem with that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
The majority of your anti-GOP posts stay in the Democrat thread, I don't really see how anybody would have a problem with that.

I meant more like when I "cross over". In the torture debate, I made my point, clarified it, then dropped out. I had nothing more to add.