2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Technically speaking, Lauman is all about the athletes as is Kenny so it fits more into the current regimes MO. I know they took Anderson and Fields in the past as well, but for the most part they stayed away from the big outfielders. I still think one of Lauman's best picks was the Chris Young selection and I hope he can find us another one of them (not becuase YOung became a star, but because he had awesome trade value for a latter round selection).

To be honest, I'm more of a Mitchell fan than most on this board that I have read. I wouldn't be terribly upset with the pick. I think he fits nicely into the possibility of the CF leadoff role, almost in line with Allen, Flowers, Danks, Beckham, Retherford's timetable.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:26 AM)
To be honest, I'm more of a Mitchell fan than most on this board that I have read. I wouldn't be terribly upset with the pick. I think he fits nicely into the possibility of the CF leadoff role, almost in line with Allen, Flowers, Danks, Beckham, Retherford's timetable.

I want Ev Williams more than Mitchell or Trout. Trout seems to have a really low ceiling, and I just don't want to hear the Rowand comparisons. A friend of mine who works for the Cubs think they'll have a chance at Kyle Gibson.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)

I'm definately not opposed. I love tools and he's got em. Plus he was drafted originally by the Twins who usually know a thing or two. The question is will the Twins pass up on him? Probably cause I know they are looking more at pitching and I think they'll take Storen if he falls to them. Really sounds like he's going @10 to the Nats.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
I want Ev Williams more than Mitchell or Trout. Trout seems to have a really low ceiling, and I just don't want to hear the Rowand comparisons. A friend of mine who works for the Cubs think they'll have a chance at Kyle Gibson.

Gibson is falling and It is understandable. No one is going to get to see him pitch and prove that its just really a stress fracture. So because of it a team that takes a shot might luck out or they might be screwed. I won't kill the Sox if they pass on him cause I don't think he's an elite arm. I will be pretty f***ing pissed if we pass on Scheppers cause he has that special arm thats worth taking a chance on.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
Why, with the success of Jordan Danks, and the semi-success of John Shelby would this organization still think that toolsy project OF is still a priority with our first pick?

Shelby's not really a true prospect, is he? Seems like he's more of a back-up at best.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Why, with the success of Jordan Danks, and the semi-success of John Shelby would this organization still think that toolsy project OF is still a priority with our first pick?

Maybe because they had success with Danks they would be well suited to find another. THey also have zero other outfield prospects for the most part and its a very important position (3 starters at the major league level) so it makes a lot of sense, imo.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
Shelby's not really a true prospect, is he? Seems like he's more of a back-up at best.

He's got a very live bat but he hasn't really clicked this season. He could always move back to 2nd base though and become a hell of an asset, imo. I'd say he's got a shot to at least be a solid backup but he still has the offensive potential to be a very solid everydayer. He can't play a corner outfield position though and be a premium bat so his value enlies in being able to play CF, 2B or as a utility guy.

He improved a ton this past season which is a good sign. But he's still very very raw. Good to solid power.

Extremely risky kid from what I've heard. If he figures it out (and I mean REALLY figures it out) he's a super stud. But he can also be very, very bad. I gotta say he'd be a very talented football prospect. If I'm not mistaken didn't a team select him once before? Hopefully he'll follow the Granderson theme in talent (though if I remember Granderson had nice upside, but really didn't stick out too much in Thornton High. Looks like he made up for it) Though I must say.. I'm not a fan of Mitchell so IF he deos get selected, hopefully the sox see something.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Extremely risky kid from what I've heard. If he figures it out (and I mean REALLY figures it out) he's a super stud. But he can also be very, very bad. I gotta say he'd be a very talented football prospect. If I'm not mistaken didn't a team select him once before? Hopefully he'll follow the Granderson theme in talent (though if I remember Granderson had nice upside, but really didn't stick out too much in Thornton High. Looks like he made up for it) Though I must say.. I'm not a fan of Mitchell so IF he deos get selected, hopefully the sox see something.

Twins drafted him out of high school.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:34 AM)
He's got a very live bat but he hasn't really clicked this season. He could always move back to 2nd base though and become a hell of an asset, imo. I'd say he's got a shot to at least be a solid backup but he still has the offensive potential to be a very solid everydayer. He can't play a corner outfield position though and be a premium bat so his value enlies in being able to play CF, 2B or as a utility guy.

Agreed, and that means you don't cater your draft to not overlap him, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Agreed, and that means you don't cater your draft to not overlap him, etc.

Plus toolsy outfielders are valuable. Hell, look at Carlos Gomez, Martinez, McClutchen. Guys that all have a s***ton of speed and a lot of raw tools. All are in the majors now, Gomez obviously having a year of seasoning, but they all had massive trade value (even look at Lastings Milledge). Bottom line there are far dumber picks you can make than toolsy outfielders because as long as they put up decent numbers in the minors they'll have awesome trade value and if they do put up big time numbers or develop you'll end up having a stud.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:40 AM)
Plus toolsy outfielders are valuable. Hell, look at Carlos Gomez, Martinez, McClutchen. Guys that all have a s***ton of speed and a lot of raw tools. All are in the majors now, Gomez obviously having a year of seasoning, but they all had massive trade value (even look at Lastings Milledge). Bottom line there are far dumber picks you can make than toolsy outfielders because as long as they put up decent numbers in the minors they'll have awesome trade value and if they do put up big time numbers or develop you'll end up having a stud.

Too bad Bowden's gone.

I think Mitchell's power could also be intriguing. He's absolutely ripped and bench pressed 335 pounds, and squatted 450 pounds before arriving on LSU's campus. If someone can correct his swing, he could be a special talent. If his swing can't be corrected then we might end up with Esix Snead.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:40 PM)
I think Mitchell's power could also be intriguing. He's absolutely ripped and bench pressed 335 pounds, and squatted 450 pounds before arriving on LSU's campus. If someone can correct his swing, he could be a special talent. If his swing can't be corrected then we might end up with Esix Snead.

I'd be excited with a guy like Mitchell in our system. You can't help but get excited over his upside, even though there is definate bust potential. I think with as many picks as the club has there is nothing wrong with taking a more high upside, potential bust pick and Mitchell fits that bill and should be a guy that isn't a tough sign.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
Twins drafted him out of high school.

And I hope they draft him again at 22.

I really don't want Mitchell. Not a fan at all from what I've seen of him. Likely will be limited to left as he doesn't always get good reads and has an average arm, at best. He K's a ton, and has a pretty big hole in his swing that needs to be fixed.

If he fell to 38, I wouldn't mind it, but there will be better players at 23 for us to pick, IMO.

I'd be excited with a guy like Mitchell in our system. You can't help but get excited over his upside, even though there is definate bust potential. I think with as many picks as the club has there is nothing wrong with taking a more high upside, potential bust pick and Mitchell fits that bill and should be a guy that isn't a tough sign.

Definitely agree. Not a fan of his (wasn't a fan of C. Young either) but I gotta say I like him alittle more than Young when he was in our system. 335 pounds is very intreging. Had no idea he was that strong so yea his power can definitely be there.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:43 AM)
And I hope they draft him again at 22.

I really don't want Mitchell. Not a fan at all from what I've seen of him. Likely will be limited to left as he doesn't always get good reads and has an average arm, at best. He K's a ton, and has a pretty big hole in his swing that needs to be fixed.

If he fell to 38, I wouldn't mind it, but there will be better players at 23 for us to pick, IMO.

No problem with speedy LF, especially with Danks in the system. Mitchell/Danks/Quentin for 2013 outfield!