2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

The MLB Draft is on June 9th... about 4 weeks away.

The Sox have 4 picks in the first two rounds: 23rd; 38th*; 61st*; and 71st; as well as the 102nd pick (in the 3rd round).

So... we will get 5 shots to pick talent from approximately the top 100 players in the country. But who will it be?

Will the organization look for fill specific needs like a power-hitting outfielder, or go for best available talent regardless of position?

As we approach the draft, several Soxtalkers will be posting profiles of interesting players. Feel free to jump in and share your thoughts and opinions about who we should take and why!

*38 and 61 from Oakland for OCab

Edited by scenario

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to hope the Sox continue to go after high-upside players rather than safe picks like Broadway and McCullough. Given the strengths of the system, particularly with the IF, it's likely they'll go after pitching, and maybe a college outfielder with their first few picks. That way they can bring up all of the prospects between 2010 and 2011.

We could go in a lot of different directions this draft. Personally, if we could come out of the first 5 rounds with some of the following players, I'd be ecstatic:

Kendall Volz (P - Baylor, round 1-2), Aaron Miller (OF - Baylor, round 2-3), Bobby Borchering (3B - Prep, round 1-2)

also, if we could throw in a prep catcher who's very solid defensively and has some tools offensively, as well as adding a bunch of power arms like we did last year with Hudson and Carter, talk about turning one of the worst, if not the worst, farm systems into at least a top 10 one in a matter of about 2 years.

Edited by BearSox

According to ESPN's Jason Churchill, Kentucky left-hander James Paxton has chosen the Scott Boras Co. as an advisor. I guess that's a name to strike off the list, I would have liked him with one of our first two picks.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:04 AM)
According to ESPN's Jason Churchill, Kentucky left-hander James Paxton has chosen the Scott Boras Co. as an advisor. I guess that's a name to strike off the list, I would have liked him with one of our first two picks.

If the Sox take a lefty, a name I really like is Rex Brothers (see profile I just posted). Paxton has a tremendous fastball thoguh. He has been sliding down draft boards a bit and having Boras might hurt him more, but he hits the upper 90's.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
We could go in a lot of different directions this draft. Personally, if we could come out of the first 5 rounds with some of the following players, I'd be ecstatic:

Kendall Volz (P - Baylor, round 1-2), Aaron Miller (OF - Baylor, round 2-3), Bobby Borchering (3B - Prep, round 1-2)

also, if we could throw in a prep catcher who's very solid defensively and has some tools offensively, as well as adding a bunch of power arms like we did last year with Hudson and Carter, talk about turning one of the worst, if not the worst, farm systems into at least a top 10 one in a matter of about 2 years.

Your C description sounds like exactly what they did with Dubler, but he struggled mightily at Bristol, before turning it on a bit at the end. I was thinking he'd be in Kanny this year, since there is no real C prospect on that squad, but I guess they think Kevin needs more Rookie ball work after last year's cold start. I assume he goes to GF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Your C description sounds like exactly what they did with Dubler, but he struggled mightily at Bristol, before turning it on a bit at the end. I was thinking he'd be in Kanny this year, since there is no real C prospect on that squad, but I guess they think Kevin needs more Rookie ball work after last year's cold start. I assume he goes to GF.

Not sure how catching prospects came into the convo, but I really want Bailey if he's there with our 2nd pick. He's out for the year but anytime you can get the top prep catching prospect in what is considered a strong catching prospect draft I consider it a good thing. And this is because I don't necessarily think its a bad idea to have a 2nd top catching prospect in the system, given that we really don't know if Flowers will be able to stick.

I second the thought on picking up a catcher.

In fact, if a really good one is available I'd consider using one of our first 5 picks.

But I'd want one who has both offensive and defensive skills.

Edited by scenario

Just noticed a kid I used to play AAU baseball with when I was a Jr. and Sr. in high school has really improved his draft stock. Drew Storen out of Stanford, maybe we'll take a look at him. Good arm with a nasty slider.

Someone should do a profile on LSU's Jared Mitchell, he's a really intriguing outfielder, potential 5 tool-er with speed to burn (also plays WR at LSU). He strikes out a little too much but does walk at a decent rate and could be available when we pick.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
Someone should do a profile on LSU's Jared Mitchell, he's a really intriguing outfielder, potential 5 tool-er with speed to burn (also plays WR at LSU). He strikes out a little too much but does walk at a decent rate and could be available when we pick.

If you know a bit about him, how about giving it a shot?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 8, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
If the Sox take a lefty, a name I really like is Rex Brothers (see profile I just posted). Paxton has a tremendous fastball thoguh. He has been sliding down draft boards a bit and having Boras might hurt him more, but he hits the upper 90's.

I'm a big fan of Rex Brothers, but I think he might be a top 10 pick come next month.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm a big fan of Rex Brothers, but I think he might be a top 10 pick come next month.

He's all over the boards but I've seen some places say he'll go supplemental, others saying he's a lock to go top 10. Regardless it seems like he's moving to be a lock to go top 15, but the Sox aren't too far out of that range that maybe they get lucky. He's definately putting it all together at the right time though. A month ago and he's probably still a borderline first rounder, more likely a second rounder.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 7, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)

I would really like Volz as well. His numbers aren't great, but when he's on, he's filthy. It looks like he just needs to develop some more consistency. Supposedly has a 97 MPH fastball and a plus slider at his best. Sounds good to me.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 8, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
I second the thought on picking up a catcher.

In fact, if a really good one is available I'd consider using one of our first 5 picks.

But I'd want one who has both offensive and defensive skills.

As for Catchers... Tony Sanchez (Boston College) could be a good option for us with our supplemental pick. Or Carlos Ramirez (Arizona St) with one of our 2nd rounders. They both seem to be well-regarded defensively, while Sanchez is better offensively.

I also wouldn't mind taking a chance on a high school Catcher like Austin Maddox since we have a couple extra picks. He's been described as a guy who is the epitome of boom/bust depending on his bat. I read somewhere that he could either be the best high school catcher in the last 20 years or out of baseball in a couple years. But, that's something I'd be willing to take a chance on.

If my math is correct, these will be our selections in the first 10 rounds:

23 (Round 1)

38 (Compensatory Round A)

61 (Round 2 f/ Oakland)

71 (Round 2)

102 (Round 3)

141 (Round 4)

171 (Round 5)

201 (Round 6)

231 (Round 7)

261 (Round 8)

291 (Round 9)

321 (Round 10)

Also, here are some good links:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2009/...ts.jsp?content=

http://www.minorleagueball.com/

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewDraftArchive.do?draftId=7

http://wiki.soxprospects.com/2009+Draft+Watch

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/ (need a subscription for most of the good stuff)

http://baseballdraftreport.wordpress.com/

And here are a couple of mock drafts:

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2009

http://www.mlbdraftsite.com/

Edited by BearSox

Brian Goodwin sounds like our pick. A lead-off hitting natural CFer with a great attitude who is projected to go late in the first round. This sounds like the guy Kenny and friends were checking out.

Goodwin had a very successful summer in which he participated in both the Aflac All-American Classic and the Under Armour Classic, being named the MVP of the Aflac game. Goodwin is the type of player that makes it very obvious when watching him that the game of baseball comes very naturally to him. He does a lot of little things well, and has four legitimate tools, lacking power as the only tool to make him the always coveted five-tool talent. And despite his lack of power, Goodwin will surprise you with his pop from time to time. Most of his power goes to the gaps, and his 6.5 speed allows him to leg out plenty of extra base hits. His bat is made for contact, as he excels at putting the ball in play and going with pitches to drive the ball up the middle and the other way. He is extremely fast out of the box, and gets down the line to first base as a left-handed hitter as well as anyone, allowing him to be a threat on infield grounders and bunt plays. His speed makes him an additional threat on the basepaths, and his overall offensive package profiles perfectly for a leadoff hitting centerfielder. In the outfield he takes good routes on fly balls and has plenty of speed to cover a lot of ground in a hurry. His arm is also a plus tool, and overall he profiles in a very similar fashion to the Pittsburgh Pirates' Andrew McCutchen, or on a more complimentary scale, Kenny Lofton. The icing on the cake is his character, with a great personality and strong leadership qualities. His athleticism and speed allows him to excel in football as well, although his future lies on the baseball diamond. He has committed to North Carolina, a university that has a knack for not letting too many of their recruits slip away, although Goodwin has the talent right now to be considered a legitimate first-rounder.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 8, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
Brian Goodwin sounds like our pick. A lead-off hitting natural CFer with a great attitude who is projected to go late in the first round. This sounds like the guy Kenny and friends were checking out.

Goodwin had a very successful summer in which he participated in both the Aflac All-American Classic and the Under Armour Classic, being named the MVP of the Aflac game. Goodwin is the type of player that makes it very obvious when watching him that the game of baseball comes very naturally to him. He does a lot of little things well, and has four legitimate tools, lacking power as the only tool to make him the always coveted five-tool talent. And despite his lack of power, Goodwin will surprise you with his pop from time to time. Most of his power goes to the gaps, and his 6.5 speed allows him to leg out plenty of extra base hits. His bat is made for contact, as he excels at putting the ball in play and going with pitches to drive the ball up the middle and the other way. He is extremely fast out of the box, and gets down the line to first base as a left-handed hitter as well as anyone, allowing him to be a threat on infield grounders and bunt plays. His speed makes him an additional threat on the basepaths, and his overall offensive package profiles perfectly for a leadoff hitting centerfielder. In the outfield he takes good routes on fly balls and has plenty of speed to cover a lot of ground in a hurry. His arm is also a plus tool, and overall he profiles in a very similar fashion to the Pittsburgh Pirates' Andrew McCutchen, or on a more complimentary scale, Kenny Lofton. The icing on the cake is his character, with a great personality and strong leadership qualities. His athleticism and speed allows him to excel in football as well, although his future lies on the baseball diamond. He has committed to North Carolina, a university that has a knack for not letting too many of their recruits slip away, although Goodwin has the talent right now to be considered a legitimate first-rounder.

I thought so to, but turns out he picked Boras as his agent, so we can kiss that idea goodbye.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 9, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
I thought so to, but turns out he picked Boras as his agent, so we can kiss that idea goodbye.

Ugh.

I don't mind the idea of backing off of SOME Borass clients due to demands that are so outrageous that it makes no sense whatsoever to give in, but the lack of negotiation with Borass for ANYONE really pisses me off.

Is there a list somewhere online of Borass client draft prospects? I'd like to know who it is I may as well not pay any attention to at all, even if they're projected to go very high and end up falling to the Sox.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 9, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
Ugh.

I don't mind the idea of backing off of SOME Borass clients due to demands that are so outrageous that it makes no sense whatsoever to give in, but the lack of negotiation with Borass for ANYONE really pisses me off.

Is there a list somewhere online of Borass client draft prospects? I'd like to know who it is I may as well not pay any attention to at all, even if they're projected to go very high and end up falling to the Sox.

I don't know of a list, but I was planning on coming up with one myself this week if I couldn't find one.

The only way we draft someone with Boras as their agent is if it is like the Danks situation last year where we had prior connections and they were planning on firing Boras anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have 1 Boras client on the team, do we?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 9, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
I don't know of a list, but I was planning on coming up with one myself this week if I couldn't find one.

The only way we draft someone with Boras as their agent is if it is like the Danks situation last year where we had prior connections and they were planning on firing Boras anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have 1 Boras client on the team, do we?

Per Cot's Baseball Contracts, Jenks, Thornton, Wise, Corky, Carrasco, Lillibridge, Getz, and Nix are the only players on this team without agents listed, and I don't think any of those guys have Borass. No one else listed has Borass as his agent. I know Jenks and Thornton don't, so Getz and Nix would be the only other players who would matter if they do. But I doubt those guys have him either, because if they did we'd have probably heard of it by now. It appears Crede was the last one. As for our minor leaguers, I imagine the only ones that might apply would be players like Marquez, Nunez, Gilmore, etc. that we acquired in trades.

Would Donovan Tate still be around when the Sox pick? I think he would be a great pick in the supplemental round as there is a lot of risk involved with him not signing. He supposedly has five legitimate tools, but I dont know much about him other than he is a two sport athlete committed to UNC for baseball and football.

Nevermind, just read that he is a Boras client as well...

Edited by IowaSoxFan