2009 MLB Pre-Draft Discussion

scenario

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Brandon Crawford, ss, Giants (4th round, 117th overall)

Crawford’s swing-and-miss tendencies left the toolsy shortstop still available in the fourth round, but the 22-year-old has already reached Double-A Connecticut. Crawford opened in the high Class A California League, where he put up a .371/.445/.600 line in 25 games with San Jose before his promotion. Some of Crawford’s flaws have already begun to get exposed in the Eastern League, where Crawford is hitting .261/.313/.348 in 23 games with six walks and 25 strikeouts.

I was all about Crawford last year and really wanted the Sox to get him. Still pissed we didn't nab him and instead made a serious overdraft with our 3rd round selection.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Still stand by my statement that Jared Mitchell will be our first pick. I also see the Sox taking Storen, the reliever out of Stanford, with a 2nd round pick.

After actually watching this kid play a couple times now, I'd be extremely disappointed with that pick. I don't want him at all actually. His batting stance is almost IDENTICAL to that of Jerry Owens'. He's a supposed leadoff type hitter but bats 7th for LSU.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:01 AM)
After actually watching this kid play a couple times now, I'd be extremely disappointed with that pick. I don't want him at all actually. His batting stance is almost IDENTICAL to that of Jerry Owens'. He's a supposed leadoff type hitter but bats 7th for LSU.

Watching him a couple times was enough for you to decide you don't want him? C'mon now. He's got the best athleticism/speed combo in the draft. He can flat go get it in the OF. His bat appears to be a work in progress. But his tools are undeniable. And shame on you for the Jerry Owens comparison. And where he hits in LSU's order is pretty irrelevant.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:14 AM)
Watching him a couple times was enough for you to decide you don't want him? C'mon now. He's got the best athleticism/speed combo in the draft. He can flat go get it in the OF. His bat appears to be a work in progress. But his tools are undeniable. And shame on you for the Jerry Owens comparison. And where he hits in LSU's order is pretty irrelevant.

I couldn't disagree with any single point in your post more.

Yes, watching him a couple times is enough. Actually, I'll retract the statement that "I don't want him at all." I wouldn't mind him in our system due to the potential there, but there are far better options there with our first round pick. I won't be disappointed if we pick him, but I will if it's with our first.

If he can flat out go get it in the OF, why did they move him from CF to the corner and replace him with a freshman? I haven't seen enough to judge the routes he takes on balls or the jumps he gets, but I'm going to guess make-up speed has a lot to do with it.

Look at his stance and look at Jerry Owens' stance. Damn near identical.

And yes, where he bats at LSU is pretty relevant to me. If this guy is supposed to be something special, he'd be hitting 1st or 2nd or somewhere higher. He's batting 7th.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:25 AM)
I couldn't disagree with any single point in your post more.

Yes, watching him a couple times is enough. Actually, I'll retract the statement that "I don't want him at all." I wouldn't mind him in our system due to the potential there, but there are far better options there with our first round pick. I won't be disappointed if we pick him, but I will if it's with our first.

Well we won't know who those "far better options" are until the day of the draft and it's time for us to pick. And the general consensus is that he's a legitimate first round pick. So I don't know why you think we'd be nuts to take him at #23. I could see if we had the #10 pick or something.

If he can flat out go get it in the OF, why did they move him from CF to the corner and replace him with a freshman? I haven't seen enough to judge the routes he takes on balls or the jumps he gets, but I'm going to guess make-up speed has a lot to do with it.

Last year, the LSU coach, Paul Mainieri, had issues with Mitchell. He thought that he wasn't focusing on baseball as much as he should (as I'm sure you know, he's a WR for LSU as well). So his PT had diminished. During that time, Leon Landry, who's now a sophmore, proved to be a damn good defensive CF. One of the best in the country, actually. So when Mitchell got regular PT again he was put in LF. Mainieri has said that on more that one occasion that Mitchell's pro position will be that of a CF.

Look at his stance and look at Jerry Owens' stance. Damn near identical.

So if he had Grady Sizmore's stance he'd have a chance to be Grady Sizemore?

And yes, where he bats at LSU is pretty relevant to me. If this guy is supposed to be something special, he'd be hitting 1st or 2nd or somewhere higher. He's batting 7th.

Don't know why he's hitting 7th. And I don't think it matters that much as far as his pro career goes. Just because a guy played a certain position or hit in a certain spot in the order in college doesn't mean that's what will automatically happen in the pros. Hell, we've got Gordon Beckham, a lifetime SS, playin' 3B now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
And the draft talent pool just got a little bit thinner. Kyle Gibson has a stress fracture in his forearm and won't be able to throw for 6 weeks.

I would pick him with our first pick. Since we have more picks than usual, I wouldn't be afraid to take the risk and draft him with our first pick. I still don't think he drops to us, but I think he is worth the risk. Granted, these types of injuries lead to elbow problems, but he is a top 10 talent, no doubt, and could really improve our pitching depth. He is a Cubs fan, though, but also from Indiana, so would be a good situation for him close to family. Also, a side note on Gibson, which I find hilarious is that his GF is a 5-foot nothing gymnast and he is 6-6, they just look funny together.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I would pick him with our first pick. Since we have more picks than usual, I wouldn't be afraid to take the risk and draft him with our first pick. I still don't think he drops to us, but I think he is worth the risk. Granted, these types of injuries lead to elbow problems, but he is a top 10 talent, no doubt, and could really improve our pitching depth. He is a Cubs fan, though, but also from Indiana, so would be a good situation for him close to family. Also, a side note on Gibson, which I find hilarious is that his GF is a 5-foot nothing gymnast and he is 6-6, they just look funny together.

I read that his FB was 83-86 last week. That could be just the injury. Still kinda scary.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
I'd be fine with the Trout pick except for the Rowand comparisons we'll have to hear. I don't have near the sources I used to, but one of my remaining sources tell me they don't expect the Sox to spend much on their top picks.

Fantastic...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Just want to play it close to slot and take some signable guys.

I have no problem going into the draft wanting signable guys. BUT, if people drop, then you take the higher money players. That's how good minor league systems are built, not on cheapness.

Nothing wrong with that. Someone like Chad Jenkins, A.J. Pollock, Tim Wheeler, Tony Sanchez... all those guys should be easy signs.

However, it'd be nice if we took more risks with tough signs from the 2nd round on. Danks is a bit of a different situation, but it'd be nice if we took 1 or 2 guys like that every year in the top 10 rounds in hopes of signing them.

Well, close to slot is fine. But over-drafting guys to sign them for less than slot money would be unacceptable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 03:26 AM)
Well we won't know who those "far better options" are until the day of the draft and it's time for us to pick. And the general consensus is that he's a legitimate first round pick. So I don't know why you think we'd be nuts to take him at #23. I could see if we had the #10 pick or something.

Last year, the LSU coach, Paul Mainieri, had issues with Mitchell. He thought that he wasn't focusing on baseball as much as he should (as I'm sure you know, he's a WR for LSU as well). So his PT had diminished. During that time, Leon Landry, who's now a sophmore, proved to be a damn good defensive CF. One of the best in the country, actually. So when Mitchell got regular PT again he was put in LF. Mainieri has said that on more that one occasion that Mitchell's pro position will be that of a CF.

So if he had Grady Sizmore's stance he'd have a chance to be Grady Sizemore?

Don't know why he's hitting 7th. And I don't think it matters that much as far as his pro career goes. Just because a guy played a certain position or hit in a certain spot in the order in college doesn't mean that's what will automatically happen in the pros. Hell, we've got Gordon Beckham, a lifetime SS, playin' 3B now.

Come on now, I never said he was going to be as bad as Jerry Owens, but his stance is extremely similar. That's the last of the reason's I wouldn't want him at 23.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Come on now, I never said he was going to be as bad as Jerry Owens, but his stance is extremely similar. That's the last of the reason's I wouldn't want him at 23.

I completely agree. Mitchell has 61 Ks in 203 ABs. There may be a player who had as poor of a K rate in college who went on to have a successful major league career, but off hand I can not think of one. For comparison, in their senior seasons Joe Borchard had 57 Ks in 255 ABs, Josh Fields had 45 in 243, Jordan Danks had 50 in 234, and Brian Anderson had 42 in 232. When you consider that Mitchell is supposed to be a top of the lineup guy...no thanks. There are plenty of other players who will be available at 23 with less question marks. In fact, I wouldn't take Mitchell before round 3 and only if you knew he would sign for slot or near-slot money. College hitters with that many Ks just do not translate into successful big leaguers often enough to justify that high of a pick.