Jason Bay...

JPN366

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
After the last week, I can't imagine what it would take for him to opt-out. Who in their right mind would offer a 37 year old proven juicer a contract worth more than $20 million?

(And GM's aren't going to be as stupid as some of the Fans who still say they support ManRam. They know exactly what the stuff he was on means.)

I'd be curious to know though whether there was a clause which exists in the contract which allows the club to opt out because of some sort of extraordinary circumstance.

Perhaps once the dust clears a bit more we will here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 11, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
I'd be curious to know though whether there was a clause which exists in the contract which allows the club to opt out because of some sort of extraordinary circumstance.

Let's make this as clear as we can make it.

Scott Boras is never going to allow any of his players to sign a contract that would allow a team to terminate them based on a steroid admission or suspension.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)

Scott Boras is never going to allow any of his players to sign a contract that would allow a team to terminate them based on a steroid admission or suspension.

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up then, Mr. Boras's assistant.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
Oh, I would definately consider making 5yrs 75M and stated that much in an earlier post. I thought you were indicating that he'd be had for a deal similar to that of Dunn or Abreu's and that would be shocking since at the very least you'll have the Red Sox interested in bringing him back.

Personally, I think he is almost certainly going to be resigned by the Red Sox, for more money than alot of teams would offer, and he will probably want atleast JD Drew money from them. I just think his value to the Sox isnt that high, as good as he is IMO he isnt worth $15mill plus, and I figured with the market the way it is I would have the Sox at around between 10 and 13 mill a year, basically filling one of Thome or Dye's contracts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 11, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
I really hope Fields figures things out, but I have major doubts about him.

I'm not only having major doubts about Fields, but Viciedo as well. Going into the season, I thought we had 3B for the future set in the hopes of one of Fields or Viciedo would pan out. Right now Fields has exceeded expectations with the glove (I'd rate him as slightly above average, which is solid), but his bat has truly been a disappointment.

Hell, even that one young 3B we got from Atlanta isn't doing much in A ball.

No offense to JPN, but we simply don't outbid other teams for free agents (besides our own PK). With the economy this year, there's not a chance in hell of the Sox getting in a bidding war and winning it against Boston, Yanks, etc.

Thank God Hunter didn't sign here for $18 million a year. People don't think Swisher is worth $6 million a year, what about Torii?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)

Actually that's somewhere in the CBA, a team can't take any kind of punitive action or terminate a contract for a PED-related incident.

With all of the talent the Sox have coming up in the field, there is zero chances they drop nine figures for a long term contract on a hitter. There might be a chance of them chasing pitching, probably through a trade, but I just don't see them signing an OF right now.

I would LOVE Jason Bay here and playing LF for us, but as others have stated, doubtful Boston lets him go. I would be all for aggressively going after him though.

If Fields shows he isn't the answer at 3B and Viciedo hasn't made major improvements, Adrian Beltre might be worth a look, but he's a Boras client. Ankiel is another guy who'd be interesting in CF (especially if we let Thome go, we could use his LH bat), but again, he's a Boras client.

Johnny Damon would be intriguing for LF and leadoff as well, but again, another Boras client who likely demend a lot if his season keeps going the way it has.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 13, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
If Fields shows he isn't the answer at 3B and Viciedo hasn't made major improvements, Adrian Beltre might be worth a look, but he's a Boras client. Ankiel is another guy who'd be interesting in CF (especially if we let Thome go, we could use his LH bat), but again, he's a Boras client.

Johnny Damon would be intriguing for LF and leadoff as well, but again, another Boras client who likely demend a lot if his season keeps going the way it has.

Is Ankiel a FA after this year?

It's worth considering as well that the market could well be even worse next year. Doesn't matter if they're a Boras client if no one will offer more than $5 million for 1 year for these guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Is Ankiel a FA after this year?

It's worth considering as well that the market could well be even worse next year. Doesn't matter if they're a Boras client if no one will offer more than $5 million for 1 year for these guys.

Yep, Ankiel will be a FA, and with Rasmus, Duncan, and Ludwick, Ankiel seems to be the odd man out.

I agree it's not a huge deal for players like him who probably won't command a ton to be Boras clients, but KW has the whole no Boras thing going on, so who knows.

Another guy who could be intriguing for 3B (if we feel he can play it and would be the best option) or maybe even DH is we let both Thome and Dye go would be Hank Blalock. Doesn't walk enough for my liking, but he has cut down on his K's considerably, and always hits well at the cell. I also like his stance and approach.