Matt Holliday...

JPN366

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. A little early for trade winds or even the rumor mill?

2. Scott Boras

3. Look at how he is doing in Oakland, and before someone gives me some BS "Well the Cell is just like Coors Field," I must ask why pay premium dollars to a guy that you will KNOW will suck for 81 road games? Makes zero sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
With either Viciedo or Fields making the shift to LF in the near future and TCQ going to right, we are not going to pay 8 figures for an OF. It just isn't going to happen.

The only reason this is being discussed is that no one believes any OF's are making 8 figures this offseason.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
1. A little early for trade winds or even the rumor mill?

2. Scott Boras

3. Look at how he is doing in Oakland, and before someone gives me some BS "Well the Cell is just like Coors Field," I must ask why pay premium dollars to a guy that you will KNOW will suck for 81 road games? Makes zero sense.

He just isn't deserving of a mega contract or of a trade that involves major prospects. If you could get him for the right price I wouldn't be opposed because he is a solid ballplayer but I wouldn't give him big mega bucks and thats probably what he and Boras will be asking for.

If the A's were desperate to deal him, again, I'd be happy to call and hope to buy low, but otherwise, no thanks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
With either Viciedo or Fields making the shift to LF in the near future and TCQ going to right, we are not going to pay 8 figures for an OF. It just isn't going to happen.

I think you might be speaking far too quickly on Josh Fields.

But, but, the cell is Coors East!!! Let's spend $20 million a year on him!

I think Holliday's dad was talking about how great it would be if he could play in Yankee stadium. As if Boras as the agent wasn't enough, you can toss out the "comes at the right price" crap right out the window.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
He's just not worthy of a big time contract until he puts up big time numbers outside of Coors.

That's my point. Until he's putting up an OPS a lot higher than .800 somewhere other than Coors, he should be paid like an .800 OPS player.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
I think you might be speaking far too quickly on Josh Fields.

Even if you don't believe in Fields, we still need to make a spot for Beckham as well, not to mention a Brandon Allen, Jordan Danks, etc. We just aren't going to spend a lot of money or prospects on an OF at this point.

The road numbers aren't bad though and he's a solid player still in his prime. He's just not worthy of a big time contract until he puts up big time numbers outside of Coors.

Jim Thome currently has .352 OBP and .477 SLG for a .830 OPS and you want him ran out of town. So how is it Holliday's lesser numbers aren't "bad." Ultra :rolly

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 14, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Jim Thome currently has .352 OBP and .477 SLG for a .830 OPS and you want him ran out of town. So how is it Holliday's lesser numbers aren't "bad." Ultra :rolly
Thome strikes out a lot? I dunno.

I feel strongly both ways about pursuing Matt. But, reality is that we probably won't spend big dollars. I actually see us bringing up our own talent as long as KW doesn't trade everyone away again. Look at the potential for Jordan Danks! An OF of Quentin-Danks -Anderson wouldn't be bad

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Even if you don't believe in Fields, we still need to make a spot for Beckham as well, not to mention a Brandon Allen, Jordan Danks, etc. We just aren't going to spend a lot of money or prospects on an OF at this point.

And that would be a big mistake, since the Sox only have one prospect in the minors that projects to play in the outfield, Jordan Danks. Shelby is another guy but you don't not sign someone because of John Shelby. Allen is a 1B/DH. Beckham is a middle infielder. Quentin is an outfielder, so bottom line the Sox will most likely need to add an outfielder if they want to compete.

If they don't, sure they can stick and hope every prospect pans out, but it wouldn't be the smart way to quickly rebuild.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)

Holliday has been awful this year. I was referring to the career numbers. Holliday also plays a good outfield and is in his prime. And you'd be talking about significant less money. Different skill-sets, so you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Plus nowhere did you see me saying the Sox should give Holliday 10+ million that they are giving Thome. Not at all. Thome isn't worth what he's getting now and I continue to say that I'd build my team in other ways but he's not horrible. He's certainly not an all star either though.

Call me crazy, but if Fields doesn't pan out at 3B and Viciedo looks like a move to LF or DH will be neccessary, it would not surprise me to see a move of Beckham to 3B. This also depends on how Alexei, Nix, and Getz do for the rest of the season, but I think it's safe to say come next year, Beckham will be starting at either 3B, SS, or 2B for us.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 14, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Call me crazy, but if Fields doesn't pan out at 3B and Viciedo looks like a move to LF or DH will be neccessary, it would not surprise me to see a move of Beckham to 3B. This also depends on how Alexei, Nix, and Getz do for the rest of the season, but I think it's safe to say come next year, Beckham will be starting at either 3B, SS, or 2B for us.

I don'tk now if Beckham will hit enough to stick at 3B, but he might. Still, his value is at his highest if he can stick in the middle infield. We just have to hope that his defense improves and he can turn into a Michael Young type defensive player at SS.

I realize that doesn't mean he's great, ie, in the upper echelon (despite Young's GG from last year) but it does mean he sucks up everything hit to him and I'd be content with that if he hits like he's projected to do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Holliday has been awful this year. I was referring to the career numbers. Holliday also plays a good outfield and is in his prime. And you'd be talking about significant less money. Different skill-sets, so you aren't comparing apples to apples.

Plus nowhere did you see me saying the Sox should give Holliday 10+ million that they are giving Thome. Not at all. Thome isn't worth what he's getting now and I continue to say that I'd build my team in other ways but he's not horrible. He's certainly not an all star either though.

Even with that said, I wouldn't be oppossed to bringing back Thome next year at around 5 million or so.