Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
That's what I don't understand. If he's willing to play for the Cubs or Brewers, why would he even have to think about the White Sox. It makes you wonder if he truely is an "ace". If he says yes, its KW's best trade IMO. If he says no, good riddance. I'm actually shocked that they have agreed to a deal if they actually have.

If Peavy says no, KW is going to have to do a lot of backpedaling when talking about finances. I'm sure he'll give the line JR was willing to bust the budget by $10 million to get the "right guy". The right guy being a guy who is hesitant to pitch in the AL.

Is he supposed to add $10M for the wrong guy?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Maverick0984 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
About a dozen people have posted that the trade is "done" and we're waiting for Peavy to agree, we get it....stop posting the same info :P

Wait. Hold Up. Did someone just say that this trade is done and we're waiting approval from Peavy. WHATTTTTTT!!!! :o

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
The reporter on the SCORE was very interesting. He basically said that Peavy will do what is in the best interest of the Padres and does not want to leave. He sounds even more low key than Buerhle.

What's in the best interest for the Padres is for them to receive some prospects and help them for the future.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
That's what I don't understand. If he's willing to play for the Cubs or Brewers, why would he even have to think about the White Sox. It makes you wonder if he truely is an "ace". If he says yes, its KW's best trade IMO. If he says no, good riddance. I'm actually shocked that they have agreed to a deal if they actually have.

If Peavy says no, KW is going to have to do a lot of backpedaling when talking about finances. I'm sure he'll give the line JR was willing to bust the budget by $10 million to get the "right guy". The right guy being a guy who is hesitant to pitch in the AL.

Was there any guy in FA FWIW that you would have given $10M to?

Peavy's a franchise pitcher. You don't get the chance to acquire a pitcher like him, especially when you consider how much a team like the Yankees would have given him if he hit free agency in the past off-season (think Sabathia money).

I love it when everyone analyzes and looking at some of these posts and all the othr trade speculation when it started out as Jake Peavy. Wow! That's al I can say. Maybe we should calm down here and think one thing through at a time. Peavy doesn't like Ozzie Guillen for some reason so that is going to be the possible hang up on this deal. We are giving up a lot of talent, but can get one of the best so I think it might be worth it. Maybe to entice Jake to come to the Southside we can Ozzie though? :lol:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
So if they've agreed, why cant we hear who the players are?

Poreda

Richard

Alexei?

Getz?

Allen?

Flowers?

We know Flowers was a player they wanted from the Braves.

I would hope they could spare the hitting prospects, but if they had to I would give up Allen. First baseman are easier to find than catchers (even though I think Flowers moves). I think Getz, Allen, Poreda, Richard would be a lot to give up, but wouldn't set us back at all.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
What's in the best interest for the Padres is for them to receive some prospects and help them for the future.

Exactly, and I hope the Pads ownership sits down with him, says this is the best deal they could get and pack his bags.

I still want to see who is included because I know the names are going to sting to alot of people on here. And when I say sting, im not talking about watching Cunningham rob fly balls in the outfield sting, but a top prospect, how could they let him go type of sting.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
I would hope they could spare the hitting prospects, but if they had to I would give up Allen. First baseman are easier to find than catchers (even though I think Flowers moves). I think Getz, Allen, Poreda, Richard would be a lot to give up, but wouldn't set us back at all.

The Pads need a SS, would you give up Alexei?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Is he supposed to add $10M for the wrong guy?

My whole point being if the guy is even moderately hesitant to pitch in the AL, is he the guy you want to give all this money to? As I said, if he comes here, IMO its KW best move, if he doesn't he obviously wasn't the "right guy" which is the spin KW is going to put on the White Sox willing to add payroll, because IIRC KW was talking about playing day games to save on the electric bill when he was crying about being broke.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
The Pads need a SS, would you give up Alexei?

No. He is cheap and controlled for awhile. He also, as we have seen, has all the talent in the world and is going to start hitting soon. He will be fine, but he is too talented and way too cheap to trade, IMO.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)

Peavy's a franchise pitcher. You don't get the chance to acquire a pitcher like him, especially when you consider how much a team like the Yankees would have given him if he hit free agency in the past off-season (think Sabathia money).

Exactly! This is similar to the Bears getting Cutler. You don't pass up the chance to get a franchise quarterback in/or entering his prime and you don't pass up the chance to get a former Cy Young winning franchise pitcher. If he says no, hey, you tried. But, I'm not just going to say, "OK, who's next, we have this money slotted to go to Peavy, he didn't want it, I'll give it to the next pitcher available."

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)

Its a lot more than $10. I'm just thinking this year. KW only has $.50 remember.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
If KW gets Peavy, i want a Mea Culpa from all the posters who were talking s*** about KW's desire to compete. Their's no doubt that he's made mistakes, but the guy hates to lose.

+1

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
If KW gets Peavy, i want a Mea Culpa from all the posters who were talking s*** about KW's desire to compete. Their's no doubt that he's made mistakes, but the guy hates to lose.

Good luck with that. The only team in baseball who has been more competitive than the Sox in the current decade is maybe the Yankees, and some people still think KW is a crappy GM.