Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peavy has been a ninny about getting traded the entire time, on 670 they said he wants to go to ATL since he grew up in Alabama. Personally, I don't think Peavy will be that successful in the AL and out of his home park in San Diego, the Padres can't ask for too much since (a) he has been on the market for a year with no takers and (B) they need to just hope someone takes on his salary.

The Sox need a quick decision so their offer doesn't get used by other teams to step up, it is a quick take it or leave it. Peavy is also scheduled to start against the cubs tomorrow.

We still have too many holes to fill for Jake Peavy to be a cure-all but it is a step in the right direction, and I will take Peavy to replace Vazquez any day!

In the meantime lets keep winning.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
Exactly! This is similar to the Bears getting Cutler. You don't pass up the chance to get a franchise quarterback in/or entering his prime and you don't pass up the chance to get a former Cy Young winning franchise pitcher. If he says no, hey, you tried. But, I'm not just going to say, "OK, who's next, we have this money slotted to go to Peavy, he didn't want it, I'll give it to the next pitcher available."

But it shows they aren't at or over their salary limit like they have been preaching. I'm not suggesting they just give all that money to the next guy. What I'm saying is their every dollar in goes out isn't accurate. They obviously have some cash laying around.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Our rotation would finally get the long-awaited ACE. We've always had great twos, but never that true ACE (Esteban was that for one year) for a few years. Peavy, Buehrle and Danks is nasty if you get to the playoffs.

Unless he Zito's on us and just turns into a cash sucker.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Good luck with that. The only team in baseball who has been more competitive than the Sox in the current decade is maybe the Yankees, and some people still think KW is a crappy GM.

Boston has been so have the Angels. The White Sox should be competitive. The only teams that cost more to go see are the 2 NY teams, Boston and the Cubs.

Staff of...

Jake Peavy

Mark Buehrle

John Danks

Gavin Floyd

Bartolo Colon

Would be nice....I suppose the plan would be if Contreras has looked as good as they say in AAA put him as the longman I suppose?

I'm really not all that fond of Richard anyways. Would just need our hitting to start hitting a little bit more consistently. I feel we are about to turn the corner but just need couple good gms of hitting to do so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Its a lot more than $10. I'm just thinking this year. KW only has $.50 remember.

Have you ever considered that acquiring a "name" pitcher in Peavy could raise attendances (also due to more wins), which would help the Sox pay for his salary?

But hey, the Sox could have always kept Javier "Big Game" Vazquez now if they had this money right?

The Sox were clearly waiting to acquire a big name guy after they moved salary, and I think after the slow start they've had, KW's pushed ahead with that plan a bit earlier than usual.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
But it shows they aren't at or over their salary limit like they have been preaching. I'm not suggesting they just give all that money to the next guy. What I'm saying is their every dollar in goes out isn't accurate. They obviously have some cash laying around.

You got your perpetual message out... Yes Kenny is cheap, now quit spoiling the thread and move along. :sweep:

Everyone has the right to change their mind. Angelo said he wanted to address the QB situation, but if the whole Cutler thing hadn't made itself available, we would have gone into 2009 with Orton, Basanez, Hanie and whoever else. But, things change. Not to mention, some of the big salaries are coming off the books next year. Also, Peavy, if he pitches well and the Sox are back in contention, will bring in more dollars. So, in this case, it's every dollar out comes in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Right, Danks and Becks COULD be a PTBL, but its not very likely.

That's why this worries me about the PTBL. Hopefully, it's to keep names secret in case the trade doesn't go down, but I am have a sick feeling, Beckham could be part of the deal. Let's hope not, though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
The Pads need a SS, would you give up Alexei?

The White Sox can give up a middle infielder. If the choice is keep Alexei and don't get Peavy or have Alexei at SS and Clayton Richard on the mound, its not that hard of a choice considering the White Sox have other options. Their best prospect is a SS.

So KW has come out in the press and said something, and now done another.

It's not the first time he's ever done it, and I'm sure other GM's on teams have probably done the same in the past.

Enough with the broken record. We've all heard your Kenny is Cheap song hundreds of times now.