John Calipari is a dirty coach?

Yeah, no kidding. I wish Calipari would take any sanctions against Memphis with him to KY, but that obviously isn't how this type of situation works with the NCAA. That's how it should work, though, since you know he knew everything "dirty" that was going on. I hate Calipari more than any other coach in all of sports. He's one smug jackass.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
Yeah, no kidding. I wish Calipari would take any sanctions against Memphis with him to KY, but that obviously isn't how this type of situation works with the NCAA. That's how it should work, though, since you know he knew everything "dirty" that was going on. I hate Calipari more than any other coach in all of sports. He's one smug jackass.

The coach can be sanctioned if it's bad enough, Kelvin Sampson is an example

NCAA apparently informed Kentucky that Calipari isn't in any trouble. The NCAA is such a f***ing joke.

Dumbass has been caught at two different programs so far and escaped unscathed. Yeah I bet he's going to learn his lesson yet again.

Edited by Palehosefan

Honestly, this stuff is still widespread. It's just like steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in baseball. A few schools have dirty programs, and then others become dirty because it is the only way to compete for the best recruits.

It was Rose. He was the only other player who started their career at Memphis in 07-08 besides Mr. Robinson. The name blurred out is much shorter than Robinson. It's also in the Sun-Times. I still don't believe how people will absolve Derrick for this but give Coach Cal all the flack for it. Rose went to Memphis because of the money from Addidas and from the boosters there. Coach Cal made it an easy process for him. It's a two way street and they were extremely happy to meet each other on the same street courtesy of Reggie Rose.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 28, 2009 -> 07:46 AM)
It was Rose. He was the only other player who started their career at Memphis in 07-08 besides Mr. Robinson. The name blurred out is much shorter than Robinson. It's also in the Sun-Times. I still don't believe how people will absolve Derrick for this but give Coach Cal all the flack for it. Rose went to Memphis because of the money from Addidas and from the boosters there. Coach Cal made it an easy process for him. It's a two way street and they were extremely happy to meet each other on the same street courtesy of Reggie Rose.

The logic for absolving the athlete for certain transgressions is pretty simple; these guys make millions for the schools and for the coaches, if the kids who actually are playing get a little extra back, no one really feels that bad.

The logic for absolving Rose is that Rose should have never had to go to the NCAA in the first place.

If Rose could have entered the NBA draft there wouldnt be so much pressure on him to get a good SAT score, so that he can then quit college to go to the draft.

I doubt it was about going to Memphis, my guess is that if his SAT score was so low that he couldnt get into Mephis, he could not have gotten into any Division I program.

If he cheated the system, it was so that he could go on to play in the NBA. Cal cheated the system so he could get a competitive edge.

Some one taking the SAT for Rose didnt make him a better basketball player.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
The logic for absolving Rose is that Rose should have never had to go to the NCAA in the first place.

If Rose could have entered the NBA draft there wouldnt be so much pressure on him to get a good SAT score, so that he can then quit college to go to the draft.

I doubt it was about going to Memphis, my guess is that if his SAT score was so low that he couldnt get into Mephis, he could not have gotten into any Division I program.

If he cheated the system, it was so that he could go on to play in the NBA. Cal cheated the system so he could get a competitive edge.

It'll still be a very small blow to an otherwise good-boy persona that he has been worshiped with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
The logic for absolving the athlete for certain transgressions is pretty simple; these guys make millions for the schools and for the coaches, if the kids who actually are playing get a little extra back, no one really feels that bad.

Okay, so let's blame the coaches and give them crap for "rightfully" giving back to the kids? It's a two way street. If Cal is dirty for giving Rose money, Rose is dirty for taking it. If Cal gave a way out for Rose to qualify on his SAT's, Rose is dirty for taking it.

Either you believe Rose and Cal are guilty, or they are not because they made the university and NCAA a lot of money. There's no seperating them as much as people want to because Rose is a humble kid.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)

He could've gone to Europe and made money.

Fact is, both guys cheated the system to get what they wanted, period. If this was Beasley we were talking about, there would be so many guys saying, "Oh, I'm glad we didn't draft him. What a knucklehead, etc." The only difference between Rose and Beasley is that Rose is quiet and Beasley is cocky.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
He could've gone to Europe and made money.

Fact is, both guys cheated the system to get what they wanted, period. If this was Beasley we were talking about, there would be so many guys saying, "Oh, I'm glad we didn't draft him. What a knucklehead, etc." The only difference between Rose and Beasley is that Rose is quiet and Beasley is cocky.

Why should he have to travel to Europe to play?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Why should he have to travel to Europe to play?

No one is saying he has to. He could go work at McDonald's if he wanted to. If he wanted to play basketball in the states he could play in the USBL, ABA, CBA etc...

He has options. Playing basketball in the NBA is a privilege, not a right.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 28, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
No one is saying he has to. He could go work at McDonald's if he wanted to. If he wanted to play basketball in the states he could play in the USBL, ABA, CBA etc...

He has options. Playing basketball in the NBA is a privilege, not a right.

Bingo. He had other options. Fact is he wanted to do it his way and get everything he could. Calipari did everything to give him what he wanted to win. Fact is, if one is guilty in this case, both are. If you don't think Rose is guilty, then why the hell is Cal guilty?

I understand if your views are that players in NCAA make a billion dollars for them, so why aren't they allowed to receive anything back? Well he received kick back from Coach Cal. So let's not blame the taker, only the giver and let's go take stakes to him. SMH.

Im not saying Rose is innocent.

I am saying that what Rose did, did not give him an advantage as a player in NCAA. So at the end of the day, why do I really care?

I guess I dont, because I dont care about NCAA players as "student" athletes. Everyone knows they are held to a different standard, so why not just get rid of the arbitrary bulls*** like how high your SAT score has to be ect. If Rose graduated high school and a college accepts him, let him go to college. Its the college's reputation that suffers.

Im just tired of the ridiculous rules instituted by the NCAA and NBA to create a farm system where players are entirely at risk for thousands of dollars in scholarships.

Playing in the NBA is not a right, employment is not a right. But age discrimination is against the law, and unfortunately for the NBA and its players, it is seen as a "thug" league, so it is held to different standards than say, MLB, NHL and MLS (Adu played when he was like 14 professionally. (Changed because Adu was drafted at 14))

Some times I catch this show called "World's Deadliest Catch" you see 18 year olds going on ships in the Bering Strait to make a few thousand dollars. They are risking their lives, yet there is no rule that stops them from doing it.

Yet basketball players at 18 cant enter the NBA draft?

Its all about money and in this case its about the NCAA and NBA trying to make the most off of the player, while paying them the least.

So personally, Im glad that Rose screwed the system.

Now Calipari, he is a different type of cheater. Because his job is to coach a basketball team against other basketball teams. Having Rose on his team made his team better, and therefore made him better at his job.

Rose's SAT score made no difference in whether or not he was a good player or not.

And its not a good argument to say: "Oh he could play in Europe."

Because otherwise we could say that for everything.

(Edit was to correct Adu's age when first playing in MLS, I thought it was 16 but was actually 14.)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Im just tired of the ridiculous rules instituted by the NCAA and NBA to create a farm system where players are entirely at risk for thousands of dollars in scholarships.

Playing in the NBA is not a right, employment is not a right. But age discrimination is against the law, and unfortunately for the NBA and its players, it is seen as a "thug" league, so it is held to different standards than say, MLB, NHL and MLS (Adu played when he was like 14 professionally. (Changed because Adu was drafted at 14))

Some times I catch this show called "World's Deadliest Catch" you see 18 year olds going on ships in the Bering Strait to make a few thousand dollars. They are risking their lives, yet there is no rule that stops them from doing it.

Yet basketball players at 18 cant enter the NBA draft?

You can work at a gas station at 16. You can work at a restaurant at 16. But you can't be a stripper until you're 18.

You can be a mayor at 18, you can't be a senator until 30 or president until 36.

Guess what? Some things have age limits.

Why are there "18 year olds going on ships in the Bering Strait to make a few thousand dollars"? Because they are willing to do so and their employers are willing to hire them.

And why does it have to be 18? You can legally drop out of HS at 16 with parental consent so why shouldn't kids be allowed to enter the NBA Draft at 16 then?

I love how you mention MLB, NHL and MLS and conveniently forget that the most popular sport in the country does the same thing as the NBA.

Look, at the end of the day, professional basketball players play basketball as their job. Where they play has a rule stating that to be eligible to play in the league you must be 19 years old or one year removed from your HS graduation.

The whole age discrimination argument is such bulls*** too. Say someone in a wheelchair wants to play but can't because they are in a wheelchair. Is that discrimination against the handicapped? Remember when that golfer wanted to use a cart and all the grief that caused? Or maybe we should look into filing lawsuits against the US government for age discrimination b/c they won't allow people under 30 to run for Senator?

If kids graduate HS and don't want to go to college, no one is making them. The NBA isn't making them either.

I think you are missing the point.

I dont agree with age restrictions past the age of 18. I dont agree with them on Senators, I dont agree with them on basketball players, I dont agree with them on any job.

If an employer is willing to hire you, you should be able to get the job.

The problem with the NBA, and why its different than your examples, is that some NBA employers would hire players at the age of 18. They just have colluded to make it so that they can unfairly limit the market.

The whole age discrimination argument is such bulls*** too. Say someone in a wheelchair wants to play but can't because they are in a wheelchair. Is that discrimination against the handicapped? Remember when that golfer wanted to use a cart and all the grief that caused? Or maybe we should look into filing lawsuits against the US government for age discrimination b/c they won't allow people under 30 to run for Senator?

In a word no.

The ADA requires "accommodation" at the work place.

I remember the Casey Martin, the argument was based on "accommodation" that Casey Martin was just as good of a golfer, but due to disability could not walk (which is not part of the game). This is far different than an person who is not qualified to be a player, getting special treatment.

An example of a similar accommodation would be:

An NBA player has a strange condition that he has to wear pants when he plays. The NBA rules state all players must have similar uniforms. It is likely that a court would say that player is allowed to wear pants and play in the NBA, because it has no impact on the game.

I guess at the end of the day I dont think the NBA has a legitimate argument for why it should be allowed to discriminate by age.

I think that the NFL has a much better one, and as such while I disagree with the NFL rule, I understand that it is most likely for the best interest of the player.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 28, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
I think you are missing the point.

I dont agree with age restrictions past the age of 18. I dont agree with them on Senators, I dont agree with them on basketball players, I dont agree with them on any job.

If an employer is willing to hire you, you should be able to get the job.

The problem with the NBA, and why its different than your examples, is that some NBA employers would hire players at the age of 18. They just have colluded to make it so that they can unfairly limit the market.

In a word no.

The ADA requires "accommodation" at the work place.

I remember the Casey Martin, the argument was based on "accommodation" that Casey Martin was just as good of a golfer, but due to disability could not walk (which is not part of the game). This is far different than an person who is not qualified to be a player, getting special treatment.

An example of a similar accommodation would be:

An NBA player has a strange condition that he has to wear pants when he plays. The NBA rules state all players must have similar uniforms. It is likely that a court would say that player is allowed to wear pants and play in the NBA, because it has no impact on the game.

I guess at the end of the day I dont think the NBA has a legitimate argument for why it should be allowed to discriminate by age.

I think that the NFL has a much better one, and as such while I disagree with the NFL rule, I understand that it is most likely for the best interest of the player.

I'm going to ignore the 18 year old argument because that's something completely different.

I'll say this though. You say it didn't help Rose's game at all not to have to worry about an SAT or school for that matter. I disagree. Worrying about school work means less time to spend in the gym, less time in the weight room, and less time studying a playbook which is something you shouldn't underestimate a freshman PG. So yes, it did not only benefit Rose off the court, but on as well.

I'll say this though. You say it didn't help Rose's game at all not to have to worry about an SAT or school for that matter. I disagree. Worrying about school work means less time to spend in the gym, less time in the weight room, and less time studying a playbook which is something you shouldn't underestimate a freshman PG. So yes, it did not only benefit Rose off the court, but on as well.

He took the SAT before he went to college.

As for worrying about school, I guess I dont even see why some one who is leaving after 1 semester would care about school. Its not like he was going to flunk out, all he had to do was worry about academic eligibility and if the coach is willing to cheat on the SAT, hell make sure that his grades work out as well.

I guess I really just dont care about atheletes and their grades. They arent going to school for a degree, they are going to school for sports. It would be like me getting a grade for a Saturday pick up football game.

Edited by Soxbadger