2009 AL Cy Young Race

High Mileage

Sporting News names Zack Greinke, Tim Lincecum AL, NL pitchers of the year

One former Royals ace describes current K.C. ace Zack Greinke(notes) as a "complete pitcher."

Kansas City Royals right-hander Zack Greinke and San Francisco Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum(notes) are Sporting News' 2009 pitchers of the year, as selected by a panel of 31 major league general managers and assistant GMs.

The two aces dominated the major league leader boards this season, though a lack of run support prevented each from making a run at the 20-win plateau.

Greinke went 16-8 with a major league-best 2.16 ERA in 33 starts and finished second in the American League with 242 strikeouts. His six complete games ranked second in the majors behind Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay's(notes) nine. And only Halladay (four) had more shutouts than Greinke (three).

"He's a complete pitcher—great flow, command of all his pitches and he pitches inside—the best I've seen in a long time at that," former Royals ace Bret Saberhagen told Sporting News. "If he got better run support, he'd have 20 wins."

Last 14 winners of this award have also been named the A.L. Cy Young Award winner...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
The only award that is even relatively difficult to figure out is the NL Cy Young, and there are quite a few deserving candidates in that race. The MVP winners have to be Mauer and Pujols.

I still have this horrible feeling that Jeter will steal the MVP away from Mauer.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
I still have this horrible feeling that Jeter will steal the MVP away from Mauer.

I feared Sabathia taking it over Greinke more than I do of anyone taking it over Mauer, and the voters were right about that. They only thing they can even begin to look at is the fact that he missed the first month, but he was still like far and away the best player in the AL.