Healthcare reform

kapkomet

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
Didn't it take you longer to type this post than to actually do the googling?

And I just assumed that a guy who has a mortal kombat avatar would know what an astral plane was.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
I don't think a lot of us "defend the insurance companies". I do, however, staunchly oppose my government being my health care mandator/provider.

I work for an insurance company and in some cases (not all cases), I don't defend them. Shady practices like dropping coverage or using technicalities to not pay, etc, I find ZERO excuse for. And while some of that is very bad, it's not all their fault, either. The biggest problem right now is they're the ones being blamed for EVERYTHING, not some things, but EVERY LITTLE THING.

Take note that the insurance companies aren't the ones who set the price of that 1 tablet you need to take at 200$ a pop, despite the fact it costs 13 cents to make. Pharma does that. The insurance companies aren't the ones making out the hospital bills and sending them in chock full of unnecessary testing and unapproved practices (which the hospital knows better than to administer as depending on what you are diagnosed with insurance companies only cover certain types of testing), which happens A LOT more than most of you could imagine. There are so many factors that go into this, all left unchecked, and all resting on insurances shoulders...while the hospitals, the pharmaceuticals and many others in between share the blame.

So far this bill has been nothing but a witch hunt against insurance companies. Meanwhile, hospitals and pharma got a cake walk pass, a sweet deal as some would call it, just to 'go with the flow'. In the end, I can tell you right now, it solves nothing. Rather than charging the insurance companies 200$ a tablet or performing unapproved tests and requesting payment for them, they'll simply charge the taxpayers. For hospitals and pharms, it's a hell of a deal...give up a little now and gain MILLIONS of customers. In the end, it doesn't matter to them, they're still making the money...they're just getting it from the public coffers instead.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Does the bill expand Medicaid eligiblity? And if it does, how will states pay for it? And how can the Feds pay for it and have it remain deficit neutral? Repeat after me:..... Unfunded Mandate!!

Because the feds have also added 2 taxes; a tax on cadillac health care plans (which is one possibly very solid means of creating a financial incentive for cost control) and returning to the Clinton era tax rates on the top tax bracket. Can't say exactly how large each is because we currently don't know.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
I don't get it -- if they have the 60 votes, why did they remove the public options and the expanded medicare options? Sounds like they only have 60 IF those things remain removed.

The last part is spot on. They only have the 60 votes if there is no public option (there are co-ops though) and no medicare buy-in.

The public option will be back, just not this round of heathcare reform. baby steps.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
The last part is spot on. They only have the 60 votes if there is no public option (there are co-ops though) and no medicare buy-in.

The public option will be back, just not this round of heathcare reform. baby steps.

I'd prefer the public option never come back.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
I've said it from the very beginning, this is a multi-step process. I'm a bit surprised the public option got pulled, but not shocked.

I'd be ecstatic with the Senate version of the bill....if I were the CEO of Aetna. No wonder insurance stocks were through the roof.

Edited by BigSqwert