Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
If the administration is smart, they know 100% that failing to pass a health care bill destroys them in next year's elections. Eventually, they will do whatever it takes to get a bill through. It may be such a bad (aka Lieberman authored) bill so as to just make everything worse, but they'll get something passed.

Yea...and this sort of politics bothers me. Pass something...pass anything...just pass it! Either way I think they get destroyed in next year's elections.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
they will do whatever it takes to get a bill through. It may be such a bad (aka Lieberman authored) bill so as to just make everything worse, but they'll get something passed.

i was thinking this today.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
i was thinking this today.

So, basically, it looks like President Lieberman is going to get a bill that will fine everyone $2000+ a year if they don't buy health insurance, but at the same time counts on insurance companies to control costs on their own and be nice to everyone. Oh, and they've put back in the possibility of lifetime benefit caps. And I'm sure they're going to have to cut back on the subsidies to get the numbers under the $900 billion mark, since either a Medicare buy-in or a public option would save money. It seems like they're even going to drop the requirement that the "Medical loss ratio" move back to 90%, from the numbers below 80% right now (That's the %age of insurance company revenue actually spent on medical care)

And I'm sure no one can see where this could go wrong.

How they can't do the reconciliation option at this point, I just don't know.

Its a political grenade, and once they pull the pin it'll be a game of hot potato to see who gets caught with the thing once it goes off. A lot of people are going to erroneously call it a cheap trick that skirts our principles.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
Its a political grenade, and once they pull the pin it'll be a game of hot potato to see who gets caught with the thing once it goes off. A lot of people are going to erroneously call it a cheap trick that skirts our principles.

It can't be worse than the result this bill is going to wind up with. (Politically speaking, it's going to leave the Dems 100% unmotivated and beaten and the Republicans still 100% motivated because Obama's going to kill grandma). And the insurance industry's dollars aren't going to start flowing to Dems enough to make up for it.

Lieberman Flop-Flops and Madicare in under3 months... he's a real piece of work:

Here's a clip from an interview Joe Lieberman (I-CT) did with "The Connecticut Post" newspaper in September of 2009. He flat out says that he supports a Medicare buy-in for those in their 50's and strengthening public options that already work.

Now, Lieberman is 100% against the Medicare buy-in for those 55 and older. This would seem to suggest that Liberman has flip-flopped on the issue outright. His support comes at about 1:04 into the video.

Here's the response from Lieberman's office:

S
enator Lieberman ha
s
long been concerned about ma
k
ing health care more affordable, e
s
pecially for tho
s
e over the age of 55 and not yet eligible for Medicare. One idea that ha
s
been di
s
cu
s
s
ed for year
s
i
s
expanding Medicare to people younger than 65.
S
enator Lieberman'
s
comment reported by the Connecticut Po
s
t in
S
eptember wa
s
made before the Finance Committee reported out the Baucu
s
Bill, which contained exten
s
ive health in
s
urance reform
s
, including a more narrow age rating for pricing health in
s
urance premium
s
and exten
s
ive affordability credit
s
that would benefit thi
s
s
pecific group of individual
s

The
s
e health in
s
urance reform
s
and affordability credit
s
have been
s
trengthened in
S
enator Reid'
s
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and will provide even greater relief for tho
s
e 55-65 year
s
old. Any inclu
s
ion of a Medicare buy-in for that
s
ame age group would be duplicative of what i
s
already in the bill, would put the government on the hoo
k
for billion
s
of additional dollar
s
, and would potentially threaten the
s
olvency of Medicare, which i
s
already in a perilou
s
s
tate. The
S
enator al
s
o ha
s
concern
s
that thi
s
provi
s
ion would re
s
ult in co
s
t-
s
hifting that would drive up premium
s
for other
s
, including tho
s
e with employer-ba
s
ed coverage.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
huh? what did I miss?

You're not supposed to call anyone douche's. Or assholes. Or s*** for brains.

Unless you're an admin. ;)

Naw, I understand why you'd say what you did. I equate Harry Reid to the same standard you all do Lieberman.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
You're not supposed to call anyone douche's. Or assholes. Or s*** for brains.

Unless you're an admin. ;)

Naw, I understand why you'd say what you did. I equate Harry Reid to the same standard you all do Lieberman.

My apologies. I must have completely missed that. I'll rephrase my previous post.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)

Lieberman: Liberal Enthusiasm Convinced Me To Oppose Medicare Buy-In

n the interview, Mr. Lieberman said that he grew apprehensive when a formal proposal began to take shape. [...]

And he said he was particularly troubled by the overly enthusiastic reaction to the proposal by some liberals, including Representative Anthony Weiner, Democrat of New York, who champions a fully government-run health care system.

"Congressman Weiner made a comment that Medicare-buy in is better than a public option, it's the beginning of a road to single-payer," Mr. Lieberman said. "Jacob Hacker, who's a Yale professor who is actually the man who created the public option, said, 'This is a dream. This is better than a public option. This is a giant step.'"

Howard Dean: Kill the Senate Bill

This is essentially the collapse of health care reform in the United States Senate. Honestly the best thing to do right now is kill the Senate bill, go back to the House, start the reconciliation process, where you only need 51 votes and it would be a much simpler bill.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Well there was a time when people actually thought he took his job as a senator seriously and that statement more or less applied.

But...at the time that statement was made...it was already factually incorrect, if you'd paid attention to his behavior the previous few years. The only reason that he could make that statement at the time (pre 2006 election) was that the Dems couldn't push anything of their own that Lieberman would matter on. But he was simultaneously undermining this country in other ways well before that.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Another reason he should be booted from the caucus. He's not even pretending to be part of the party anymore, why should he get the benefit of party seniority?

Yet, you all love Arlen Spector. Whatever. They're all (yes, NSS, ALL) pieces of s*** who get paid by the highest bidder whenever they are on the "fringe" of any issue.

Lieberman saw what Landfill (Landreiu (sp)) got and now he wants his state paid as well, while mentioning that CT is hugely insurance based.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Yet, you all love Arlen Spector. Whatever. They're all (yes, NSS, ALL) pieces of s*** who get paid by the highest bidder whenever they are on the "fringe" of any issue.

Lieberman saw what Landfill (Landreiu (sp)) got and now he wants his state paid as well, while mentioning that CT is hugely insurance based.

Arlen Specter is voting 100% with the Dems because otherwise he'll be slaughtered in a Dem primary.