Dayan's Career Offense

Marky Mark

Viciedo Can be compared to...  

65 members have voted

1. 1. In the peak of his career, who do you think Dayan Viciedo's offense will be compared to?

• Juan Uribe - Some pop, bad average, bad contact, bad walk rate
    • Adrian Beltre - Decent pop, moderate average, low-moderate walk rate
    • Howie Kendrick - Hits for great average, zero pop, does not really ever walk
    • Sammy Sosa - Major pop, hits above average, pretty good walk rate
    • Andruw Jones - Great pop, can't hit for much average, moderate to good walk rates
    • Miggy Cabrera - Good pop, batting title candidate, moderate to good walk rates
    • He will not have a major league career
    • None of these

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Although I hope I'm wrong, I don't see Viciedo being more than a combination of Uribe and Beltre.

You need to see him hit. He loves to hit it to the opposite field, much more often than pulling the ball. He has the ability to be a major RBI producer.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
You need to see him hit. He loves to hit it to the opposite field, much more often than pulling the ball. He has the ability to be a major RBI producer.

Since you've had the opportunity to see him more than anyone else on here, what would be your best guess at what kind of hitter he'll turn into?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
Since you've had the opportunity to see him more than anyone else on here, what would be your best guess at what kind of hitter he'll turn into?

Long term peak projection...I'd seriously say .285 to .300 average, 30 to 35 HR, 100 to 120 RBI. He really isn't trying to swing for the fences all the time, which is good for such a young player. He just wants to hit the ball. He's on pace for 10 HR and 72 RBI this year at age 20. As he develops more patience at the plate, his numbers will go up. He has incredible bat speed, so all he needs to work on in the minors is pitch recognition. He'll be deadly once he locks that in. He may always be a slow starter, he's warmed up at the plate along with the weather. I really think Dayan's as good as advertised, his home run numbers don't jump out at you. But, like I said, he isn't swinging for the fences, he hardly pulls at all. He seems to always be trying to hit it to the gaps. He tattoos balls to the right/center gap frequently. In a nutshell, he's got a major league bat.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
How does Viciedo react to tailing sliders? I remember him overswinging in spring.

He'll usually bite and miss. That's his big weakness at this point, pitch recognition.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
He is Carlos Lee in the making.

I like that one. Carlos never really walked a lot, but he also didn't strike out like Dayan. Dayan is a little bigger at the same age. I could def. see the same career path. Does that mean we will trade Dayan for the future spark plug to our next WS team?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
From what you've seen, is this Danks problem also?

As a lead off hitter, he's supposed to look at a lot of pitches. He hasn't looked foolish at all when he's struck out. I wouldn't be concerned with his K's, they're mostly looking. Patience is not an issue for Danks.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
I like that one. Carlos never really walked a lot, but he also didn't strike out like Dayan. Dayan is a little bigger at the same age. I could def. see the same career path. Does that mean we will trade Dayan for the future spark plug to our next WS team?

I'd keep Dayan, he came from a modest background, so he wants to produce, otherwise he's not happy with himself. I also think he could be much more special than Carlos Lee.

In my opinion, the ETA's for the Barons players should be as follows...

Tyler Flowers - Now

Brandon Allen - start 2010

C.J. Retherford - middle 2010 or start 2011

Dayan Viciedo - start 2011

John Shelby III - start 2011

Jordan Danks - start 2010

David Cook - NOW NOW NOW

Stefan Gartrell - start 2010 or middle 2010

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)

Tyler Flowers - Now

David Cook - NOW NOW NOW

By "start 2010," do you mean they should be starting on the big league club in 2010?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
That they should be gunning for a roster spot at those points.

Gotcha. That's encouraging that so many guys are so close. I really need to get to Birmingham sometime soon this summer! Somehow I've made it to Charlotte which is twice as far but not B-ham!

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Gotcha. That's encouraging that so many guys are so close. I really need to get to Birmingham sometime soon this summer! Somehow I've made it to Charlotte which is twice as far but not B-ham!

Let me know, and I'll get you in for free.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
He's only got 45 K's on the season, which isn't bad in my opinion.

I can live with some K's in the lineup if the lineup is more balanced in terms of OBP, contact, and power.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Let me know, and I'll get you in for free.

Will do. Thanks!

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)

Tyler Flowers - Now

David Cook - NOW NOW NOW

I know there is a lot of Cook love on this board and he is solid ball player, but I have a hard time believing he is a major league baseball player. He'll be 28 years old in a month and still is in AA. To me, maybe he is a 4th OF in case of injury, but he is not a good enough player to be considered for a major league roster spot for more than a 15 days. He hit in AA last year, but didn't in AAA (65 Ks in 228 ABs last year, too). This year, he is only hitting .247 in AA, that to me, at almost 28 years of age, says not a ML player. Plus, he isn't a good enough defender to be used in CF in the majors. All he is is organizational fodder.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
I know there is a lot of Cook love on this board and he is solid ball player, but I have a hard time believing he is a major league baseball player. He'll be 28 years old in a month and still is in AA. To me, maybe he is a 4th OF in case of injury, but he is not a good enough player to be considered for a major league roster spot for more than a 15 days. He hit in AA last year, but didn't in AAA (65 Ks in 228 ABs last year, too). This year, he is only hitting .247 in AA, that to me, at almost 28 years of age, says not a ML player. Plus, he isn't a good enough defender to be used in CF in the majors. All he is is organizational fodder.

I'm not sure Cook would be any worse than Wise. Seems to have better OBP skills and power than Wise. Like you said, he's probably a 4th-5th OFer and suffers since all the Sox starters in the OF are righties except Pods.