6/19 Games

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
There's no doubt in my mind we're going to see Allen up with the big league club sooner rather than later (due to injury or trade).

With the team rapidly playing itself out of contention, I think you’re correct. About a month ago, I’d have given Brandon Allen a 45% of being the big league club this season, at this point, that’s increased to about 65%.

Saw this interesting note in the mlb.com story about the game...

What was the difference on Friday? Maxwell said he found a new pitch before the game.

"I started throwing a new pitch, a cutter," he explained. "The last game, I was coming off my fastball and cutting it a little, and I started working on it in my last bullpen. It started to become a really good pitch for me."

Maxwell, throwing the cut fastball in the mid-80s, also featured his usual off-speed pitches.

"I was getting guys to swing early in the count," said Maxwell, who induced eight fly balls and eight grounders. "But that cutter was how I got all my ground balls."

Chances are the cutter will be sticking around for the rest of the season.

"Everybody was asking about it and I said, 'Hey, I just learned that the other day."