The best Cuban pitching prospect, Aroldis Chapman, defected

Cubano

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Throws over 100? Nice. What kind of security does Cuba have on the ballplayers when they're out of Cuba?

How's his control?

Not good, I'm assuming.

When you throw that hard, control might not be necessary. Although Joel Zumaya can't say the same.

Looking at his stats...

He had a 3.57 ERA throwing 102. That's not that good.

He also walked 141 in 209 innings. That's not good control.

Edited by chw42

Remember, he started in Cuban ball when he was 18. He has improved his control. I do not think security in the Nederlands was tight because nobody had defected there and it is in Europe. The same thing in tournaments in Asia.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
Not good, I'm assuming.

When you throw that hard, control might not be necessary. Although Joel Zumaya can't say the same.

Looking at his stats...

He had a 3.57 ERA throwing 102. That's not that good.

He also walked 141 in 209 innings. That's not good control.

Those are some Mike MacDougal type numbers right there.

I beat Cubano to this scoop and for our Spanish speaking users the link is:

http://www.cubaencuentro.com/es/deportes/n...-holanda-190890

It indicates that while on tour with the Cuban National team in Holland Chapman has decided to defect and wants to play in the bigs. Great stuff from this kid, he is 21 and has a 100 MPH fastball!! Plus I believe he has good command of a couple of secondary pitches (To be confirmed). It would be great if the Sox could pick him up via agent Jaime Torres. I think he would be MLB ready in one year. Start him in AAA and season him. It will take all year to sort out the immigration paperwork so I think he will be ready for next year's ST. Go get him KW!! The Cuban Connection ROCKS!!! He is suposed to be either the best or 2nd best lefty SP in Cuba. Will post stats later.

:headbang :headbang

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
Nobody beats Cubano regarding Cuban players defection news. Ha, ha, ha.

I wish the Nats sign him to join forces with our number one pick in the draft.

Nats are gonna have to save all their money to sign Strasburg this year and Harper next year.

Now the Sox are going to have a lot of payroll flexibility this coming off-season.

I'd like to see some of that money put towards signing Chapman, if the reports are indeed true about him.

With his velocity, he could even be a closer to replace Bobby Jenks perhaps.

Saw this post on Minorleagueball;

If he were in the draft I think he would have gone 2nd, behind Strasburg. I’m guessing he gets around a 10 million dollar deal. Obviously needs to improve FB command, but I don’t think it is unreasonable to see him in the majors this September or next opening day.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
Now the Sox are going to have a lot of payroll flexibility this coming off-season.

I'd like to see some of that money put towards signing Chapman, if the reports are indeed true about him.

With his velocity, he could even be a closer to replace Bobby Jenks perhaps.

we'll see, this is the type of player that just screams NYY, NYM and Red Sox crazy bidding war. If history is any indication I am 100% OK with the White Sox sitting out of those

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
we'll see, this is the type of player that just screams NYY, NYM and Red Sox crazy bidding war. If history is any indication I am 100% OK with the White Sox sitting out of those

That's the same things people were saying about Viciedo

I want this guy in the Sox' system, bad. It's hard to imagine that he wouldn't have been the 2nd or 3rd best pitching prospect after Strasburg, if he'd been in the draft.

Time to utilize that payroll flexibility you've maneuvered towards so well Kenny!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
His delivery looks so...awkward.

It doesn't look fluid.

CCFH

The guy has a huge and still "projectable" frame, which, IMO, makes him less an injury risk, long-term, than a guy like Strasburg.