Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
Bring it on Nashville!!!

NYR-PHI going to a shoot out. You play 82 games, and your entire season rests on a shootout, ridiculous.

I'm not a fan of shootouts but I think this is pretty exciting.

Of course I'm a Bruins fan so I have no rooting interest.

I disagree.

I love the shootout in the regular season.

As many OT as it takes for the playoffs, of course, but a 5-minute OT and shootout in the regular season is just right by me.

If the Rangers are pissed that their season came down to a shootout, they had 81 other games to do something about it.

Boo-hoo.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I disagree.

As many OT as it takes for the playoffs, of course, but a 5-minute OT and shootout in the regular season is just right by me.

If the Rangers are pissed that their season came down to a shootout, they had 81 other games to do something about it.

Boo-hoo.

Ditto. You can't have teams playing 3OT games in the regular season, so that just one can affect their next two or three. I think how the NHL does it makes complete sense, and you're right, if you barely miss the 8th seed and blame a procedural rule, you got some real nerves.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I disagree.

Boo-hoo.

I agree that the Rangers have no reason to complain about not making the playoffs, they had every chance for the extra two points all year. Its still kinda crazy though that the season comes down to a couple of penalty shots.

The shootouts wouldnt bother me as much if they weren't worth 3 total points while regulation games are worth 2. If regulation wins were worth 3 points, I think it would be much better.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
I agree that the Rangers have no reason to complain about not making the playoffs, they had every chance for the extra two points all year. Its still kinda crazy though that the season comes down to a couple of penalty shots.

The shootouts wouldnt bother me as much if they weren't worth 3 total points while regulation games are worth 2. If regulation wins were worth 3 points, I think it would be much better.

I would love to see the soccer style 3-2-1 scoring to recognize regulation wins being worth more than an overtime win. It might actually do away with some of the OT stuff, and stir up the last few minutes of a tied game.

Now if the Hawks beat Nashville which they should, they'd play the winner of the series b/w Vancouver and Los Angeles correct?

If so, then I think the Hawks have got the better playoff route to the Conf. Finals, than if they ended up with the #1 seed (where'd they have to play either Phoenix or Detroit).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
Now if the Hawks beat Nashville which they should, they'd play the winner of the series b/w Vancouver and Los Angeles correct?

If so, then I think the Hawks have got the better playoff route to the Conf. Finals, than if they ended up with the #1 seed (where'd they have to play either Phoenix or Detroit).

NHL reseeds, so it depends on a lot of things. If San Jose blows it in the first round again, the Hawks would guaranteed play Colorado. If they don't, the Hawks play the best seed to win in the first round other than themselves and San Jose, with the Sharks playing the lowest remaining seed after round 1. I personally think odds are high the first round winners will be the top 3 seeds and Detroit, which means the Hawks would play Vancouver and the Sharks would play Detroit. But we'll see.

At any rate, you get the feeling the Hawks are going to have to beat Detroit to get where they want to go. Detroit has been the boogeyman to the Hawks for a long time, and it was seen yet again today. Such demons generally have to be exercised during a championship run.

Losing today actually very well may have helped the Hawks avoid a potential Detroit matchup until the conference finals, but it'd still be better to have the #1 seed and have home ice all the way until the Stanley Cup Finals where only Washington could have it over you. HUGE win for Detroit, having to play Phoenix rather than San Jose or Vancouver really helps them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bulokis @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
A little disappointed we did not win the west but the Stanley cup is the one goal. When does the playoff start?

Game 1 Friday, April 16 7:30 P.M. United Center

Game 2 Sunday, April 18 7:30 P.M. United Center

Game 3 Tuesday, April 20 8:00 P.M. Bridgestone Arena

Game 4 Thursday, April 22 7:30 P.M. Bridgestone Arena

Game 5* Saturday, April 24 2:00 P.M. United Center

Game 6* Monday, April 26 TBD Bridgestone Arena

Game 7* Wednesday, April 28 TBD United Center

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)

The losing team in OT gets a point as well, so once the 60 minutes expire it's a 3-point game.

Before that each team got a point for a tie with no OT, so regular season OT is not "old-time hockey" either.

I'm fine with ending a regular season game after a set amount of time, whether it's no OT and a tie, OT and a tie, or a SO to get an extra point. A regular season game should not go deep into the night. A playoff game should, if it has to.

And again, no team should cry about their season ending on a shootout. Every team plays by the same rules all year, and the Rangers would have been jumping around just as much as the Flyers did if they had won the shootout. Those are the breaks. Win more December and January games and don't let April 11th matter to you.

Full playoff schedule:

2010 EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

#1 Washington vs. #8 Montreal

Thursday, April 15 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Saturday, April 17 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Monday, April 19 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

Wednesday, April 21 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

*Friday, April 23 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Monday, April 26 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Wednesday, April 28 at Washington, TBD TSN

#2 New Jersey vs. #7 Philadelphia

Wednesday, April 14 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

Friday, April 16 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

Sunday, April 18 at Philadelphia, 6:00 p.m. TSN

Tuesday, April 20 at Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m. TSN2

*Thursday, April 22 at New Jersey, 7:00 p.m. TSN

*Sunday, April 25 at Philadelphia, TBD TSN

*Tuesday, April 27 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

#3 Buffalo vs. #6 Boston

Thursday, April 15 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

Saturday, April 17 at Buffalo, 1:00 p.m. NBC, CBC

Monday, April 19 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC

Wednesday, April 21 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC

*Friday, April 23 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

*Monday, April 26 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. CBC

*Wednesday, April 28 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Ottawa

Wednesday, April 14 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Friday, April 16 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Sunday, April 18 at Ottawa, 6:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Tuesday, April 20 at Ottawa, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Thursday, April 22 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Saturday, April 24 at Ottawa, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Tuesday, April 27 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC

2010 WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

#1 San Jose vs. #8 Colorado

Wednesday, April 14 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

Friday, April 16 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

Sunday, April 18 at Colorado, 9:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

Tuesday, April 20 at Colorado, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

*Thursday, April 22 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

*Saturday, April 24 at Colorado, TBD CBC

*Monday, April 26 at San Jose, TBD CBC

#2 Chicago vs. #7 Nashville

Friday, April 16 at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. TSN2, VERSUS (JIP)

Sunday, April 18 at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS (JIP)

Tuesday, April 20 at Nashville, 9:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS (JIP)

Thursday, April 22 at Nashville, 8:30 p.m. TSN2, VERSUS (JIP)

*Saturday, April 24 at Chicago, 3:00 p.m. NBC, TSN

*Monday, April 26 at Nashville, TBD TSN

*Wednesday, April 28 at Chicago, TBD TSN

#3 Vancouver vs. #6 Los Angeles

Thursday, April 15 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Saturday, April 17 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Monday, April 19 at Los Angeles, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Wednesday, April 21 at Los Angeles, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Friday, April 23 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC

*Sunday, April 25 at Los Angeles, TBD CBC, VERSUS

*Tuesday, April 27 at Vancouver, TBD CBC

#4 Phoenix vs. #5 Detroit

Wednesday, April 14 at Phoenix, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Friday, April 16 at Phoenix, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Sunday, April 18 at Detroit, 3:00 p.m. NBC, TSN

Tuesday, April 20 at Detroit, 6:30 p.m. TSN

*Friday, April 23 at Phoenix, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Sunday, April 25 at Detroit, 2:00 p.m. NBC, TSN

*Tuesday, April 27 at Phoenix, TBD TSN

- * denotes if necessary

- All Times are Eastern Standard Time

- (JIP) Game joined in progress

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
As I learned, they reseed after each round, so if SJ wins their opening series, we get the second lowest remaining seed.

When it comes to the Sharks in the playoffs, you can never assume victory, but I would think they would handle Colorado. Last year, Anaheim was experienced and better than your normal 8 seed. The Avalanche have been struggling and their goalie seems to have worn down as well. That would leave the Hawks with Vancouver if they win, or the winner of PHX/DET if the Kings were to pull the upset. If somehow the Sharks were to blow it again, Hawks would get Colorado.