Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
for all the differing Huet/Campbell sucks factions, being at the UC the last week, I think there is one player all Hawks fans love to yell at/laugh at.........Brent Sopel

And boy is he ugly!

20070227024754157_1.jpg

Though he's got nothing on Mike Ricci...

ricci_60664.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Just suggesting something else for people to gripe and fret about over a team that's 4-1-1 and tied for its conference lead in points.

Some people seem to really like that here.

No, you were suggesting that we are jumping the gun on huet and it could be like getting on Toews for his slow starts. Then I laughed because Huet will never be close to the player that Toews is. Huet is terrible, his weaknesses are well known in the league and i see nothing but a drop in production as he stays the way he is going forward. He has shown no ability to adjust to the way teams attack him, which is death between the pipes in the NHL.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
I guess "disappointing" is a term that's relative to your individual expectations, so I can't really argue with you there; for the money and the resulting cap problems for the team, he has been a disappointment..

But check out these stats from last season:

Goalie A: 2.67 GAA .912 SV%

Goalie B: 2.53 GAA .909 SV%

Any guesses here?

Hint: If either one is "beyond bad," its still more than "good enough."

strawman.jpg

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
No, you were suggesting that we are jumping the gun on huet and it could be like getting on Toews for his slow starts. Then I laughed because Huet will never be close to the player that Toews is. Huet is terrible, his weaknesses are well known in the league and i see nothing but a drop in production as he stays the way he is going forward. He has shown no ability to adjust to the way teams attack him, which is death between the pipes in the NHL.

Yes, that's exactly what I suggested because its absolutely true. Look, I've read the thread. You hate Huet and think he's terrible. He's not, although I certainly agree that he's played terribly so far this year over the whopping span of 3 games. Over his career, he has proven to be a league average to slightly better than average goal-tender, which given this team's speed and firepower, is all they need. He is vastly overpaid and I wish his skill matched his salary, but it doesn't and that sucks. But that's not his fault, its Tallon's. Ripping on Huet is already getting old and accomplishes nothing.

Furthermore, as I've cited, career-wise, Huet's body of work is much more extensive than Toews' and statistically equal to Khabibulin's, so if you're going to ignore all that and condemn him as terrible based on his slow start, than the comparison to Toews is absolutely valid. I don't dispute that Huet will never come close to being the elite player we all hope Toews will be, but that's wasn't even close to my point.

The team is kicking ass with Toews not scoring and Hossa not skating. Can we at least wait until a losing streak until we get our undies all in bundle over Huet? This is like reading a "Fire Greg Walker" thread when the Sox are on a roll.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Yes, that's exactly what I suggested because its absolutely true. Look, I've read the thread. You hate Huet and think he's terrible. He's not, although I certainly agree that he's played terribly so far this year over the whopping span of 3 games. Over his career, he has proven to be a league average to slightly better than average goal-tender, which given this team's speed and firepower, is all they need. He is vastly overpaid and I wish his skill matched his salary, but it doesn't and that sucks. But that's not his fault, its Tallon's. Ripping on Huet is already getting old and accomplishes nothing.

Furthermore, as I've cited, career-wise, Huet's body of work is much more extensive than Toews' and statistically equal to Khabibulin's, so if you're going to ignore all that and condemn him as terrible based on his slow start, than the comparison to Toews is absolutely valid. I don't dispute that Huet will never come close to being the elite player we all hope Toews will be, but that's wasn't even close to my point.

The team is kicking ass with Toews not scoring and Hossa not skating. Can we at least wait until a losing streak until we get our undies all in bundle over Huet? This is like reading a "Fire Greg Walker" thread when the Sox are on a roll.

Clearly if you think I am super biased against Huet and wont listen to reason then you are misinformed. Huet is well known across the league as a guy with a huge hole in his game. Since he's played for the Hawks, he's shown no ability to correct this flaw. Since you are so adept at trying to show he's the same as Khabby I am guessing that you have actually taken a look at his statistics. In his full seasons of play his save PCT hasnt improved ONE bit since he came into the league. Why? Because he isnt good at adjusting to the way the league is playing him. I also find it pretty hilarious that you call him statistically equal to Khabby. Khabby has logged over 17k saves in the NHL over 683 games. Huet hasnt even played or saved a third of that. So "Career-wise" it isnt even close. I, for one, dont want the Hawks to just make the playoffs, I want them to win the cup, and an "average" goaltender like you mentioned above wont get it done in the playoffs, you need a goalie capable of being shut-down, and at this point Huet doesnt appear to be that guy.

Also that was a good effort to try and pigeonhole me into the category of someone who would make a fire greg walker thread when the Sox are winning, but as everyone knows, I dont do that s***.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
Huet with a nice bounce back game, albeit against a POS team. I guess some of the credit should go to Q for putting his goalies in the best position to succeed. Either way, Huet did come up with a few big stops, so give credit where credit is due.

The first save of the game really set the tone for him.

Like everyone has said, Nashville is bad, and we have two more games vs. them in the next two weeks, which is nice

Hjalmarsson is an underrated key to the team, and I think he has helped Campbell play better

Our offense has looked awesome, have been outshooting everybody, and Hossa gets added to the lineup in a month...wow

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
Like everyone has said, Nashville is bad, and we have two more games vs. them in the next two weeks, which is nice

Hjalmarsson is an underrated key to the team, and I think he has helped Campbell play better

Our offense has looked awesome, have been outshooting everybody, and Hossa gets added to the lineup in a month...wow

Agreed...as long as no opposing teams' shots are going off his skates and into the net.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
Huet with a nice bounce back game, albeit against a POS team. I guess some of the credit should go to Q for putting his goalies in the best position to succeed. Either way, Huet did come up with a few big stops, so give credit where credit is due.

If there was any time to play Huet it was last night. I havent seen Nashville that bad in awhile. I kept expecting them to turn it on at some point, but it never happened.

Kaner continues to be on fire, that kid is everywhere. He had a ridiculous redirect that was saved but just him getting his stick in position was impressive. Buff is just pouring in goals, I like that he has figured out his role on this team. Also my largest criticism of Skille has always been that he looks slow, but I think the game has slowed down for him a bit which has allowed him to speed up. He looks like a good Burish replacement.