Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

If it involved Becks, this trade, I'm glad we said no. I think he's going to have a very bright future with us.

When was the last time we had a youngster just jump right out of the box like that? Not worth losing him.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
If it involved Becks, this trade, I'm glad we said no. I think he's going to have a very bright future with us.

When was the last time we had a youngster just jump right out of the box like that? Not worth losing him.

WE didnt say no....THEY said no

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Heyman's twitter:

SI_JonHeymanaggressive #brewers look like threat for halladay. hearing manny parra's name. but wouldnt escobar/ gamel have to go too?

Who the hell is Manny Parra? Are we talking about the nearly 27-year old "up and comer" with a history of arm injuries who has never had an ERA below 4.30 at the major league level? The same guy who's was so effective earlier this year that he got dispatched to Nashville?

Can someone tell me how he is better/evaluated more positively than Richard? All I know is that we wouldn't be generating any buzz if we were building a package around Clayton.

That's what this is akin to...

QUOTE (TheHolyBovine @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Who the hell is Manny Parra? Are we talking about the nearly 27-year old "up and comer" with a history of arm injuries who has never had an ERA below 4.30 at the major league level? The same guy who's was so effective earlier this year that he got dispatched to Nashville?

Can someone tell me how he is better/evaluated more positively than Richard? All I know is that we wouldn't be generating any buzz if we were building a package around Clayton.

That's what this is akin to...

Well put... If GMs around baseball had any intelligence they would start valuing White Sox youth at a higher level as we almost overnight became stocked with young players with a lot of potential. (Plus, I kind of want Halladay for not that much in return.)

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Well put... If GMs around baseball had any intelligence they would start valuing White Sox youth at a higher level as we almost overnight became stocked with young players with a lot of potential. (Plus, I kind of want Halladay for not that much in return.)

They are. In this economy, you have to balance performance with contract. A guy who might put up superior numbers, but cost $10,000,000 more might not be worth it anymore, because you will leave yourself short somewhere else. It is exactly what happened to the Sox roster this year. With all of the big money players, we have had problems from about the 22nd man at the bottom of the roster on.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Everything he does.

He ripped Keith Law - who was his former assistant.

He makes horrible trades over and over. Then he has this - gift wrapped for him - a 33 year old, 1.5 year contract and he is holding out for a ridiculous offer.

He is just retarded.

Its the other way around. Law has consistently ripped J.P. over the decision to draft Ricky Romero over Troy Tulowitski, in fact, their confrontation in the draft room is pretty famous around sabermetric circles. It's one of the reasons Law left(was fired) from the organization. Also, say what you want about Riccardi's demeanor (and you can say a lot) he's a liar, and a bit of a jerk, but it takes a lot to win 80 games every year in that division.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
It’s the other way around. Law has consistently ripped J.P. over the decision to draft Ricky Romero over J.P. Riccardi, in fact, their confrontation in the draft room is pretty famous around sabermetric circles. It’s one of the reasons Law “left” (was fired) from the organization. Also, say what you want about Riccardi’s demeanor, you can say a lot, he’s a liar, and a bit of a jerk, but it takes a lot to win 80 games every year in that division.

To draft Romero over whom?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
There is no way in hell we should trade an everyday player like Gordon Beckham for Roy Halladay. I wouldn't even do that trade straight up.

agreed. i wouldnt trade him for any pitcher esp a mid 30 yr old pitcher that gets little injuries here and there. well i only would for a pitcher like lincecum and thats about it. beckham is awesome :)

Not much to this but there are a couple of links on MLBTR that the White Sox are minor players on the outside. Not aggresive. Seems Phili rejected an offer that Toronto had put on the table wanting both Happ and Drabek as the center pieces of a package. If he is not traded his value goes way down at the Winter meetings as Halliday is adamant on testing Free Agency. Still no thanks but I never underestimate KW.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Not much to this but there are a couple of links on MLBTR that the White Sox are minor players on the outside. Not aggresive. Seems Phili rejected an offer that Toronto had put on the table wanting both Happ and Drabek as the center pieces of a package. If he is not traded his value goes way down at the Winter meetings as Halliday is adamant on testing Free Agency. Still no thanks but I never underestimate KW.

Toronto will need to lower their asking price before they lose him for nothing in free agency.

Toronto will need to lower their asking price before they lose him for nothing in free agency.

If he is a type A they get 2 picks but that is all. Plus his arm is sure gonna have a ton more mileage on it. He doesn't Mark Buerhle's rubber arm that will last another 10 years.

:lolhitting

According to Gordon Edes of Yahoo! Sports, the Angels "did indeed make a run at Halladay, offering Jered Weaver plus the Blue Jays' pick of outfield or infield prospects" Bottom line, it wasn't enough.

7:53pm: Heyman tweets that the Jays suggested to the Yankees today that it would take Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, and two more for Halladay.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Jared weaver wasn't enough? Are they out of their minds?

They were probably never serious about trading him. They probably wanted to see if they could sucker a team into severly overpaying for Halladay.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
They were probably never serious about trading him. They probably wanted to see if they could sucker a team into severly overpaying for Halladay.

Isn't Jared Weaver + pretty much the definition of overpaying for Halladay?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Isn't Jared Weaver + pretty much the definition of overpaying for Halladay?

Yes, it is. Especially if you're the Angels, and your best pitcher doesn't want to sign an extension, and you've already lost your best pitching prospect (who was also Major League ready) because of a drunk driver. Them even offering Weaver is borderline insane. If Ricciardi rejected that he should be caned. I don't know why anyone would try to beat that, especially considering Halladay's refusal to talk extension.

Yeah the other funny part (reallly funny) is that Ricciardi or Retarded is sending his demands first to some of these clubs before they even offer him a list of prospects. I was just gonna post maybe KW will try one more time to send an offer but I would rather take my chances with what we have and look elsewhere for another starter. I am starting to look at 2009 as a wash and we need to build the team for next year.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:08 AM)
Yeah the other funny part (reallly funny) is that Ricciardi or Retarded is sending his demands first to some of these clubs before they even offer him a list of prospects. I was just gonna post maybe KW will try one more time to send an offer but I would rather take my chances with what we have and look elsewhere for another starter. I am starting to look at 2009 as a wash and we need to build the team for next year.

That may just indeed happen after all. A lot will be decided by the 29th when the Minnesota series wraps up. But if we are 5-6 games back by July 31st, i'd say lets start unloading some of the veterans.

That being said. If KW is going to make a big splash and go for it, today is a must win.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:27 AM)
That may just indeed happen after all. A lot will be decided by the 29th when the Minnesota series wraps up. But if we are 5-6 games back by July 31st, i'd say lets start unloading some of the veterans.

That being said. If KW is going to make a big splash and go for it, today is a must win.

I wonder if the Braves were scouting Dye under the possibility that on July 31st the Sox look to be out and the Braves look to be in it. I can't imagine Kenny pulling off anything even slightly resembling another White Flag trade, but still, the Braves have needed an OF all year even after picking up McLouth, and they have been linked to Dye since the offseason.