AAA All-Star Game, ESPN2 or MiLB.tv at 9 Central

BearSox

AAA All-Star Game. Tune in at either ESPN2 or MiLB.tv (I think it's free, not sure though) at 9:00 pm Central. I bet espn360 will also be streaming the game online.

Only Cole Armstrong and Carlos Torres will be representing our AAA affiliate. Carlos Torres is the interesting one to keep an eye out for. He's been putting up great numbers this season and has had a real solid minor league career thus far. Hopefully he'll get in at some point and we can see what type of stuff he has. He was a 15th round pick back in 04 out of Kansas St. University. He's getting almost to the age where he might become a non-prospect, so he's got a lot to prove.

Cole struggled to begin this year, but has been hot recently and good enough to represent the IL as the reserve catcher. He should probably 4 IP behind the plate, as well as at least 2 AB's. He didn't look good at all in ST, but maybe he's changed his approach.

The full rosters are here:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...b&fext=.jsp

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
How did Armstrong even make the team? He's been hot lately, but there have to be better options somewhere in the IL than Cole.

I'm not so sure. The other catcher on the team isn't much better.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
is the gun hot or does he routinely sit in the 92-94mph range? Also i like his slider? its a very tight break.

He was doing that in B'ham last year. He moves his fastball all over the place and keeps the hitters off balance. His fastball is the real deal.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
He was doing that in B'ham last year. He moves his fastball all over the place and keeps the hitters off balance. His fastball is the real deal.

thank you, so we have a 26yr old RHP that sits in 92-94, cuts and sinks his fastball and has an average change that is more than a show me pitch and an above average curve, and he has great command and can locate? Did i get that all right?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
thank you, so we have a 26yr old RHP that sits in 92-94, cuts and sinks his fastball and has an average change that is more than a show me pitch and an above average curve, and he has great command and can locate? Did i get that all right?

I'm not sure about the change-up, but the rest is correct. He has a fastball, a cutter, and can throw a tight curveball or more of a looper, and he can throw them all for strikes. He's a legit prospect.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
I've now seen Carlos Torres pitch a total of one inning of baseball, and I can already tell I'd rather see him pitch every fifth game than Clayton Richard.

To top it all off, he's also hysterical.

Edited by JPN366

Torres looked real good out there. Quite a pleasant surprise, I was preparing myself for another soft tossing pitcher, but that was not the case. Eric Young said he talking to someone with the White Sox Organization and they said his best pitch was the cutter. Got some good pop on his fastball and a nice tight breaking pitch. Also, EY said that he was a great competitor, pitched with no fear, and has a lot of confidence. He's now a legit prospect in my book.

The one negative I'd say is that he doesn't have all that great of a frame. He looks really skinny. However, at the very least, I think he could be a solid bullpen arm.

Charlie Haeger in the game for the PCL.

Oops... that's what happens when a knuckleball doesn't knuckle.

As Crash Davis said, "Anything that travels that far ought to have a stewardess on it." :P

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
Torres looked real good out there. Quite a pleasant surprise, I was preparing myself for another soft tossing pitcher, but that was not the case. Eric Young said he talking to someone with the White Sox Organization and they said his best pitch was the cutter. Got some good pop on his fastball and a nice tight breaking pitch. Also, EY said that he was a great competitor, pitched with no fear, and has a lot of confidence. He's now a legit prospect in my book.

The one negative I'd say is that he doesn't have all that great of a frame. He looks really skinny. However, at the very least, I think he could be a solid bullpen arm.

He always pitches from the stretch by the way, never from a wind up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)

Yeah at the very least i think he could develop into a linebrink type pitcher out of the backend of the bullpen. Which would be a huge asset; not having to pay someone 4-5.5M a year to set up.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
He always pitches from the stretch by the way, never from a wind up.

I didn't notice that, probably because the first batter got a hit. Interesting. EY did say Torres started out as a relief pitcher. Hmm. I wonder what the White Sox see Torres' future as...

As far as non-white sox prospects go, I really liked Bud Norris. I think he'll eventually have to move to the pen due to some command issues and I'm not sure if he has a change, or at least a good one. However, he's got a really good power fastball-slider combo, and EY was saying he's a fiery guy and a competitor.