Are the Sox a bunch of losers???

Jbrown

T19. Chicago White Sox (77, unchanged)

General manager Kenny Williams must be kidding if he thinks he's inculpable here. Williams' suggestion that the talent he's assembled is playoff-caliber is part of the general malaise that washes over this team. The clubhouse is filled with non-winners. Some might even call them losers. Jerry Manuel deserves blame, but Williams is also part of the problem.

This is from the CNNSI rankings and the ones on ESPN aren't more favorable. I was pissed when I first read this but then it got me wondering. The idea that the clubhouse is filled with non- winners is a bit of a slap in the face but in reality I can see the validity in that statement. We have good players but something always seems to be missing. Does anyone on this team even have a ring? That could be one of the reasons this team loses focus so often, because they don't know any other way. They're just used to making excuses and getting away with it. :huh:

General manager Kenny Williams must be kidding if he thinks he's inculpable here. Williams' suggestion that the talent he's assembled is playoff-caliber is part of the general malaise that washes over this team. The clubhouse is filled with non-winners. Some might even call them losers. Jerry Manuel deserves blame, but Williams is also part of the problem.

This is from the CNNSI rankings and the ones on ESPN aren't more favorable. I was pissed when I first read this but then it got me wondering. The idea that the clubhouse is filled with non- winners is a bit of a slap in the face but in reality I can see the validity in that statement. We have good players but something always seems to be missing. Does anyone on this team even have a ring? That could be one of the reasons this team loses focus so often, because they don't know any other way. They're just used to making excuses and getting away with it. :huh:

No, no rings on this team. The closest, I believe, was probably Colon and both Alomars when he went to the WS with Cleveland in 1997 and they lost to Florida. The only other guy that's ever been on a consistent winner is Tony Graffanino when he was on the Braves in the 90's. For the most part, we have guys that have been with the Sox (in the majors, at least) for the bulk of their careers...

Lee, Thomas, Olivo, Konerko, Crede, Magglio, Harris, Buehrle, Garland, Porzio, Wunsch, Sanders. Nobody on that list has ever won anything more than a division title. Nor has Valentin, White, Gordon, Everett, Loaiza, Daubach, and whoever else I'm forgetting.

We ARE a team of non-winners, and until we win, that's what we will remain.

Well, i think that's one reason Robbie Alomar (has a ring) was brought in

A good point made about the leadership and experience factor

.... where did Alomar win a ring? With Toronto?

1992 and 1993 with the Jays

Hmmm...good call. Hopefully he can instill some winning spirit in these guys. It's not a matter of knowing how to win -- it's a matter of going out and doing it.

WTF? Magglio's arm sucks. That throw to 3rd base from RF 3 hopped to 2nd base. Hopefully he wasn't trying to get the runner.

Hmmm...good call. Hopefully he can instill some winning spirit in these guys. It's not a matter of knowing how to win -- it's a matter of going out and doing it.

WTF? Magglio's arm sucks. That throw to 3rd base from RF 3 hopped to 2nd base. Hopefully he wasn't trying to get the runner.

I have noticed that the Sox infielders run plays on throws from the OF where the IFers get about halfway between a base and if the throw is on, or if they have a chance to get someone going to another base they cut if off, if it is good they let it go through

Don't dare forget those great Toronto teams. Hell, one of em knocked out the sox in the ALCS

just b/c some haven't been on a team that won it all, does not make them losers.

this idea is "BS", you have teams that has no ring winner and doing well. ana, twins, kc. an experience player who has been around is good, a person who has leadership quality is good. that is the ingrident for a successful team good leadership and players who want to win, who will back each other up. not a player who is a "me" first person

Some?? :huh: Try almost all of the guys on this team (Frank, Maggs, CLee, Buerhle, etc). All they have ever known is mediocrity and our vocal leader Jose was on the Brewers, nuff said. Alomar may have gotten there, but he is no leader. The one taste of the playoffs they had in 2000 against Seattle was a pathetic attempt and the team looked like they didn't feel like they belonged. Regular season is one thing but the post season is what seperates the real winners, and even if by some magic winning steak they do get there this year, it'll happen again. This team just doesn't have the swagger of the top teams that know every night they should win and there is a reason for that. These are the teams that will win it all (not KC, Minnesota, White Sox etc), and we should be aspiring to that level.

Rank Team Rec. Comment

1 Giants 55-34 Barry Bonds needs just 22 homers to move past Willie Mays on the all-time HR list. All we can say is, look out Hank Aaron.

2 Mariners 56-32 With a victory by Freddy Garcia on Thursday, the M's will lay claim to having four 10-game winners on their staff.

3 Braves 57-31 Javy Lopez has more than double the amount of home runs already this season (23) than he had all of last year (11).

4 Yankees 54-34 If Mariano Rivera (1.67 ERA and 15-of-16 in save opportunities) isn't an All-Star, call us crazy. What a joke that he's not on the AL team.

5 Diamondbacks 50-39 Rookie Brandon Webb is 6-2, 2.18 and hasn't allowed more than three runs in any of his 13 starts.

Yeah but they had that damned Rally Monkey ;), and a good coach in Scoicia who had won two as a player and is a good motivator. It may not be about having rings, but having a confident winning swagger that these teams feel like they should win games. Even though they have the talent, I just don't see that in the Sox for whatever reason.