Boos for Bobby? Really?

greg775

''He will be my closer until he can't do it anymore,'' Guillen said. ''It's a shame how short a memory people have. A real shame. I grew up in this city, and when you blow one game, not two, just one, obviously that broke their heart. There's nobody in this room that feels worse than him. All of a sudden people treat him like a piece of garbage, and the way they treat him is not fair.

''This guy since we got him has been great. He will continue to be great. He's a human being, he had a bad night. I know he will turn the corner and continue to have success. But that hurt and made me really upset and pissed when a kid has a bad night and we treat him like that. That's really a shame. It's sad ... that's pretty, I want to say, pretty embarrassing. Wow, what did this kid do to this town to make people treat him like that?''

If this has been discussed, by all means kill the thread. I haven't scoured all the Bobby threads.

But boos? I mean, my god. People booed Bobby after the Rays' game? I know people pay good money, but at what point do people give these guys a break? Oz's quotes were great. Too bad there's not another way fans can express bitter disappointment. It used to be you shut up and walked out the stadium sad. Booing Bobby this year and Paulie last year is dumb.

Maybe Oz was overreacting or were the boos really loud for Bobby?

Edited by greg775

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
Bobby’s pitched erratically this entire month, he blew a game that we should have won yesterday, boos are absolutely understandable.

From ignorant fans that don't follow the team, yes.

Its funny talking to "fans" that watch 2-3 games a month then want to talk shop about the team. "Many Paulie is the most overrated player in the history of the Sox" etc.

Ozzie's been around the game long enough to know that some people are gonna boo. I wouldn't personally though. In all my years of going to Sox games I've never booed the Sox, but some people will. It's the same thing (kinda) with the Wise-booing situation. Just some people showing their displeasure, unfortunate maybe but it will always happen now and then. Now if Bobby is booed the next time he enters a game that ain't right.

Im sry but im with Ozzie on this one...give the guy a break, he's going through his typical rough patch. Lets not forget he is 22/25 in save chances, thats not terrible. This isn't Billy Koch on the mound who just serves fastballs on a platter to hitters (ala Mike Sweeney, I still remember that damn game n ball thats never landed).

As you can probably guess from my screen name, my dad was a Sox fan and lived his life, growing up in Bridgeport with Mayor Daley #1, without ever experiencing a World Series championship. These are my thoughts, based on how I was brought up to behave as a fan. I hope that I can pass them, as I have passed my love of the Chicago White Sox, on to my children.

There are 2 ways to look at cheering/booing, from the "I need to express my feelings." point of view and the "What will support my team?" point of view. In addition, and I think it still matters, is the idea of good sportsmanship. I think that the latter two thoughts (team support and sportsmanship) trump the first (the need to express feelings). I try to control myself accordingly.

Does anybody think that Bobbie and Ozzie and the team aren't equally frustrated and disappointed? Does anybody think that they don't know the fans won't be happy with serial poor performances? Does anyone doubt Bobbie's effort or his desire to win? Is booing going to help him get better? Don't we really "owe" him the support inherent in accepting a bad spell? It's very difficult to be a player in the MLB. What is the boing except a lack of the ability to control when and how emotions are expressed? It is a game. It's fine to get hugely angry at the events as they unfold, but it is wrong to direct booing at the player when the outcome is bad. I think it is only OK to boo when there is a lack of complete effort and when there is an example on the field of poor sportsmanship or cheating. Silence while exiting the game is fine, as noted in a post above. Obviously, this is America and fans do pay a lot of money to see these game, so there is a "right" to boo, but I think it is wrong and we, as fans, need to control ourselves.

Sorry for the long post. This is just, as you can tell, at "hot button" issue for me. Thank you to those who've gotten through this.

Steve

Don't we really "owe" him the support inherent in accepting a bad spell?

Yes.

It's Bobby Jenks who has a serious track history of excellence. Somebody said his erratic month makes the booing understandable. Give me a f***ing break. How do "normal" fans react at the Cell when the few morons boo? I'd guess those who boo are drunk so probably not much is said lest you get punched.

Show some loyalty and class. Bobby blows a save at home, we lose. So you can just exit the ballpark sad and quiet, shaking your head. Why boo him? I guess tonight one more base hit and Matt gets booed as well.

I myself wouldn't participate in booing and I wouldn't encourage others. But, like others, I do understand where they are coming from. My justification for this is that Sox fans are all a 'family'. You can talk about your own family all you want because you still support them, no matter what happens. We can call out a player for not performing and criticize them, but at the end of the day we still love them (exception for D Wise). But if someone else talks trash about your family (i.e. a Cubs fan says Bobby sucks) you WILL defend them.

People were booing the Count earlier this season,some folks are just lacking in the class department especially after downing a few brews...

Of course I was pissed and dissappointed after he blew last night's game but he's human,it's gonna happen once in a while,nobody is perfect.

The boos were loud on Tues. night for Bobby. Why? I don't know. Maybe the fools hadn't checked Bobby's stats lately. Or watched many baseball games and know that all players are going to screw up once in a while.

Maybe it was too many drunks like the fool behind me in LF who was making fun of Quentin for throwing wide of home plate, even though Carlos has missed almost two months--obnoxious guys who never had the talent to play the game, but think that they are experts because they have the eyes to watch.

IMO, booing is the idiot's version of yelling. It takes a little bit of thinking to yell, "Throw a strike!". It takes no brain power to simply open your mouth and let out a "Booooooooo!"

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
Who cares, I'm pretty sure a good amount of people watching at home were cursing their heads off yelling at bobby through the TV.

He sucked, fans were pissed. Get over it.

exactly. i was at that game. the whole stadium was booing,including myself. that makes me ignorant? i wasnt booing jenks,i was booing bcuz i was mad about what was going on. and as they say,if u pay to get in, u have the right to cheer or boo or whatever

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
So sad when a major league player making millions of dollars playing a game for a living gets booed.

It truly breaks my heart

Could not agree more. If Bobby is so upset then I would be more than happy to switch jobs with him. He can sell copiers, and I can suck in the 9th and make millions doing it.

Shouldn't there be some sort of credit for past work? I think his performance lately has been boo-able. No way he deserves it because he has earned some leeway because of his years of good play and a World Series Championship. Booing Bobby Jenks was a crappy thing to do and I was ashamed to hear it. Destroying our closers confidence by booing him off the field is just stupid.

Ozzie needs to understand that those crowds of 25,000 that sound like 35,000 are because many of those fans are into every pitch. When you cheer strikes in the 2nd inning, you have a passionately enthusiastic crowd almost willing the team to win. I remember when the bases were loaded, the camera showed one woman who looked like she was praying. When something like that crushes that passionate of a crowd, they will react. Booing Bobby was the wrong reaction, but it was an emotional response from people who fanatically love the Sox. They will make it up to Bobby next time he succeeds by cheering extra loud.

Somebody tell Jenks the Sox fans are sorry and we are pulling for him.

Man.

It would take a whole heckofa lot for me to boo a player on the Sox. See: Dewayne Wise.

But Bobby??! He's been an absolute stud, and is running a little cold right now. I'd have been a hellofa lot disappointed, but i wouldnt boo him.