Cowley: Sox Interested in Haren/Lee

Chisoxfn

By Jason Gage

SoxNet

Joe Cowley, Sun Times, reported in a radio interview that the Chicago White Sox might be interested in acquiring Indians ace Cliff Lee or Diamondbacks ace Dan Haren. Cowley went on to say that Octavio Dotel mentioned he might be part of a "3 team deal" which would send Lee to the White Sox. Gavin Floyd is the name Cowley through out as the potential "centerpiece" of a Dan Haren Deal...Click to Read Our Take

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't make sense to me. As I said, I only trade prospects for Haren. Plus we all know I have a major man crush on Floyd. Cliff Lee is actually pretty intriguing. I"d trade Dotel, Poreda, Richard for Cliff Lee. I don't know if Cleveland does that or not but that isn't a bad package considering they could get spects for Dotel (get the Dodgers or Angels involved).

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Honestly, I'd leave out Floyd and give up Jordan Danks(since we have Jered Mitchell), Flowers(I see him as a 1B/DH with Viciedo already there) Poreda(still am waiting for that 97mph fastball) and two lower level prospects for Haren.

Trading Jordan Danks still causes major league difficulties. We have to hold him and give him a shot unless we're dealing both Danks.

I'd be willing to part with Floyd in a Haren deal. But really...not much more than Floyd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Trading Jordan Danks still causes major league difficulties. We have to hold him and give him a shot unless we're dealing both Danks.

I'd be willing to part with Floyd in a Haren deal. But really...not much more than Floyd.

Dealing Floyd pretty much defeats the purpose of adding Haren.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)

Haren has simply been better than Floyd and there's no real reason to think he'll stop being better than him. He's also more expensive than Floyd, so you don't give up much more than Floyd to get him. But if you have the salary flexibility it's a trade you consider.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
Haren has simply been better than Floyd and there's no real reason to think he'll stop being better than him. He's also more expensive than Floyd, so you don't give up much more than Floyd to get him. But if you have the salary flexibility it's a trade you consider.

Considerably better and he's only 2 years older.

Is this Oz blowing smoke??

Guillen: "Everything Quiet With The White Sox"

By Drew Silva [July 25 at 4:45pm CST]

According to MLB.com's Scott Merkin, the White Sox aren't likely to add "a major piece to their playoff puzzle" before the trade deadline.

As usual, manager Ozzie Guillen did the talking: "To be honest with you, we haven't even talked about that. What we have is pretty good. We got six, seven starters right now."

"Obviously, people have talked about (Roy) Halladay, but we've got something going good right now, and for the future very good," added the manager. "To break that up now, that's a chance you would have to take if you break that up. Right now, everything is quiet with the White Sox. Unless something crazy happens in the next couple hours, we're going to go with what we have."

The White Sox stand 50-47, two games behind the Tigers in the American League Central.

Haren is an elite pitcher. Floyd is not. Haren gives us a much better chance to win a game than Floyd does. If Floyd is the only guy on our 25 man roster we'd be giving up (with the exception of Pena and Wise,) I'd pull the trigger. It's a better deal than going after Halladay

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)

By Jason Gage

SoxNet

Joe Cowley, Sun Times, reported in a radio interview that the Chicago White Sox might be interested in acquiring Indians ace Cliff Lee or Diamondbacks ace Dan Haren. Cowley went on to say that Octavio Dotel mentioned he might be part of a "3 team deal" which would send Lee to the White Sox. Gavin Floyd is the name Cowley through out as the potential "centerpiece" of a Dan Haren Deal...Click to Read Our Take

Trading Floyd/Danks is counter-productive. The Sox are not going to be trading these guys, not only because of their worth on the current team heading into the stretch run, but also because of their cost certainty.

Another observation - the Sox might be interested in Cliff Lee or Dan Haren????? They might be????? How about, of course they would be, if they are truly available. I heard they may have an interest in Albert Pujuols as well.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
I'd prefer to avoid going after Lee. Lee is a bit overrated and I'd rather avoid sending Cleveland a bunch of prospects that could haunt us in the long run.

As for Haren, I'd love to get him, but don't see it happening.

How is Cliff Lee overrated?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
Haren is an elite pitcher. Floyd is not. Haren gives us a much better chance to win a game than Floyd does. If Floyd is the only guy on our 25 man roster we'd be giving up (with the exception of Pena and Wise,) I'd pull the trigger. It's a better deal than going after Halladay

I agree. Haren and Floyd are both locked in for for 3 more yrs after '09, with the 4th a team option yr. The difference is IIRC, $25 mill. Is Haren $6 mill a yr better SP than Floyd? Yes.

If this debacle in Detroit has taught me anything, it’s that we can’t afford to sacrifice our future for a whim of a chance at making the playoffs. This rules out Halladay in my mind, and while it does not rule out Haren due to his youth and quality, it does lessen his intrigue to me.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Haren >>>>>> Floyd

I'm all for this move if it doesn't cost one of the untouchable prospects in the system (such as Flowers), which I kind of doubt. The difference between him and Floyd is massive though, and Haren would be a fantastic upgrade to our rotation.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Haren >>>>>> Floyd

I'm all for this move if it doesn't cost one of the untouchable prospects in the system (such as Flowers), which I kind of doubt. The difference between him and Floyd is massive though, and Haren would be a fantastic upgrade to our rotation.

If the Sox dealt Floyd and the farm for Haren, I would certainly hope that in the future the Sox spend a LOT more money internationally as well as raise the budget for the draft. You can't cry poor after you've just picked up an ace long-term for a price that is probably 40-50% of his actual worth.

And actually, I'd probably do that deal with the reasoning being that in the short-term while the Sox restock the farm they'll be able to fill some holes with veteran bargains who want to play for a contender. Players like Abreu, Johnny Damon, Thome, etc. should be available at a very reasonable cost over the offseason, so if we can pick up a few bargains and put some more money into the farm, we might be able to run out some good teams while the Mitchell's and Phegley's are developing in the minors.

Haren is about the only one I'd deal that much for however. Looking around baseball, there's nobody else I can think of who would be a better fit. He's cheap salary-wise, under team control for a long time, young, awesome, has had success in the AL, has a great package of stuff and mental makeup, and doesn't come with all the injury concerns.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
I'm not too fond of finesse pitchers and his success has only come when the Indians have sucked.

How the heck is Lee a finesse pitcher? Lee has very good stuff for a lefty. He might not throw 96 but he's got great stuff. Dan Haren doesn't throw super hard, Mark Buehrle doesn't. Give me a break. The guy won the Cy Young in the AL, you don't do that by sucking.