The 2009 Chicago White Sox

JohnCangelosi

I don't have any stats to suggest this is real, however, my opinion about this team after watching this game:

1) We're a terrible defense team

2) We're very slow

3) We're an above average offensive club, could be very good if TCQ gets back into shape

4) We have slightly above average pitching including the bullpen despite their woes of late

I am not sure what this means for us, but certainly with points 1&2, we basically have no shot even if we were lucky enough to make it to the post season.

Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:30 AM)
I am not sure what this means for us, but certainly with points 1&2, we basically have no shot even if we were lucky enough to make it to the post season.

Thoughts?

I hate this line of thinking. You make it there, and anything can happen. We could have easily won the first 3 games against Tampa last year, and we have 3 strong starting pitchers this year that have shown the ability to shut down good hitting teams.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
I don't have any stats to suggest this is real, however, my opinion about this team after watching this game:

1) We're a terrible defense team

2) We're very slow

3) We're an above average offensive club, could be very good if TCQ gets back into shape

4) We have slightly above average pitching including the bullpen despite their woes of late

Thoughts?

nice to see you're a sox fan and have faith in the team. How long have you been a fan since 2006 on?

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
nice to see you're a sox fan and have faith in the team. How long have you been a fan since 2006 on?

Welcome to soxtalk. Come here after a loss and this is what you get, seems like people expect this team to go 162-0 and that no other team in baseball goes through anything we do.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:49 AM)
Welcome to soxtalk. Come here after a loss and this is what you get, seems like people expect this team to go 162-0 and that no other team in baseball goes through anything we do.

Every post you make seems to be criticizing posters on this site. From what I gather, you're an excellent baseball person. I think you could really contribute to the board by posting about actual stuff on the field.

The defense certainly didn't help today.

One of those "close" losses....but not a heartbreaker. Danks isn't quite as good or consistent as he was the last two months in 2008. Quentin's ball goes out in 2008 at the end of the game. Konerko makes those scoops or at least stops the ball from getting past him. Ramirez also made a sloppy throw.

We're 2nd or maybe now last in errors committed in the AL.

We have a bright future, still, but it doesn't seem this is the year...just frustrating with how beatable both the Twins and Tigers are...both teams are begging to be wiped out by a massive trade (Haren/Halladay), but there are so many potential flaws and weaknesses in this team.

Our offense and pitching really came together for about a month, but now both have slipped, especially the offense recently.

We're barely hitting .240 at home, there's simply no excuse for that at all...or explanation even. The home field advantage we enjoyed last year has disappeared almost completely.

KW is in a very tough position....if we are swept by the Twins and lose to the Yankees Thursday, he should hold off or maybe trade Dotel and then ride out the season, trying to find out what Getz and Fields can do everyday. Maybe put Ramirez in CF and rest Quentin a lot and see if Pods can hold up over a full season of play.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Every post you make seems to be criticizing posters on this site. From what I gather, you're an excellent baseball person. I think you could really contribute to the board by posting about actual stuff on the field.

I only do it cause its true, I love this site. But honestly, coming to this site after ANY loss and its exactly the same every time: "this.team.is.dead., season is over, we're a terrible team, etc etc". Seriously, its gotten to a point where this board can't be rational if anything goes wrong in a game. The site is a great source of info, analysis and general chat...but after every single loss it takes a massive nose dive and all reason from otherwise intelligent posters goes out the window.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
The defense certainly didn't help today.

One of those "close" losses....but not a heartbreaker. Danks isn't quite as good or consistent as he was the last two months in 2008. Quentin's ball goes out in 2008 at the end of the game. Konerko makes those scoops or at least stops the ball from getting past him. Ramirez also made a sloppy throw.

We're 2nd or maybe now last in errors committed in the AL.

We have a bright future, still, but it doesn't seem this is the year...just frustrating with how beatable both the Twins and Tigers are...both teams are begging to be wiped out by a massive trade (Haren/Halladay), but there are so many potential flaws and weaknesses in this team.

Our offense and pitching really came together for about a month, but now both have slipped, especially the offense recently.

We're barely hitting .240 at home, there's simply no excuse for that at all...or explanation even. The home field advantage we enjoyed last year has disappeared almost completely.

KW is in a very tough position....if we are swept by the Twins and lose to the Yankees Thursday, he should hold off or maybe trade Dotel and then ride out the season, trying to find out what Getz and Fields can do everyday. Maybe put Ramirez in CF and rest Quentin a lot and see if Pods can hold up over a full season of play.

KW won't sell now, if anything he'll try to buy. If we were 6 games out plus then I can see him selling but unless we go winless the rest of the week I just don't see that happening.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:56 AM)
I only do it cause its true, I love this site. But honestly, coming to this site after ANY loss and its exactly the same every time: "this.team.is.dead., season is over, we're a terrible team, etc etc". Seriously, its gotten to a point where this board can't be rational if anything goes wrong in a game. The site is a great source of info, analysis and general chat...but after every single loss it takes a massive nose dive and all reason from otherwise intelligent posters goes out the window.

Maybe it's me, but there's less activity on this board after losses than at any time in the past 5 years (besides for when we went into the tank in 2007). Hell, there's not even White Sox Loser threads anymore.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:58 AM)
KW won't sell now, if anything he'll try to buy. If we were 6 games out plus then I can see him selling but unless we go winless the rest of the week I just don't see that happening.

What do people think about Dye being able to clear waivers in two weeks or so?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
Maybe it's me, but there's less activity on this board after losses than at any time in the past 5 years (besides for when we went into the tank in 2007). Hell, there's not even White Sox Loser threads anymore.

I see that as a good thing. Either way, we get some sort of thread after every loss, usually regarding one of the reasons we lost the game.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
Ramirez is not going to be put in CF. You're wasting your time if you actually think that's going to happen.

Well...knowing KW, and since Erstad was the last guy we brought in for the position (not counting Swisher or Griffey), do you really think that KW dares to go into 2010 with Pods and Quentin as his starters with nobody else in the mix for those positions as "insurance"?

Just very frustrating to go for 4+ years now without a legitimate, everyday, above-average MLB CFer, when the division has Granderson and Sizemore to show our ineptitude every series. Even Crisp and Gomez/Span are All-Stars compared to our production from that position.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Well...knowing KW, and since Erstad was the last guy we brought in for the position (not counting Swisher or Griffey), do you really think that KW dares to go into 2010 with Pods and Quentin as his starters with nobody else in the mix for those positions as "insurance"?

Just very frustrating to go for 4+ years now without a legitimate, everyday, above-average MLB CFer, when the division has Granderson and Sizemore to show our ineptitude every series. Even Crisp and Gomez/Span are All-Stars compared to our production from that position.

This season, our CF have hit .225 with a .285 OBP and a .598 OPS. 3 HR and 20 RBI combined.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:04 AM)
Just to see if they could get a player like a young Ethier to replace him via trade?

But probably pull him back after the offer has been made?

Well yeah, with the intent to trade him. I really think you could get a team to overpay for him if we fall out of it.