Should the White Sox trade Jenks and try to sign Webb, too?

caulfield12

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

The DBacks have an $8.5 million dollar option for next year or a $2 million buyout.

Would guess they would probably keep him and risk that if they're not in contention that they could trade him next year, kind of like the M's did with Bedard this year instead of letting him go and not getting anything back in return (especially when M's fans have to be reminded of how that Bedard trade cost them future contention in the AL West for many years).

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

The DBacks have an $8.5 million dollar option for next year or a $2 million buyout.

Would guess they would probably keep him and risk that if they're not in contention that they could trade him next year, kind of like the M's did with Bedard this year instead of letting him go and not getting anything back in return (especially when M's fans have to be reminded of how that Bedard trade cost them future contention in the AL West for many years).

Yes to Jenks.

No to Webb.

Why to this being tied into the same thread? Jenks gets talked about enough in every other thread.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Yes to Jenks.

No to Webb.

Why to this being tied into the same thread? Jenks gets talked about enough in every other thread.

We probably have to open up an additional bit of breathing room in our payroll...not sure.

Jenks is going to be around $8 million next year. The other options are trading Konerko (unlikely) and/or saving money bringing back Dye and/or Thome ($6-8 million but not $11-13 million as they're currently paid)....don't think we will ever get from out under the Linebrink contract now.

OTOH, if you had THAT historically amazing rotation (Peavy/Buehrle, Webb, Floyd and Danks), it would be a crying shame to risk so many blown saves turning the game over to Thornton or Pena at the end of games.

Someone like Byrd, Doug Davis...Garland, etc., is more likely for the back of the rotation unless they think Hudson and/or Torres are ready.

Duchscherer has been mentioned a lot around here. Who else is rehabbing or struggling with health issues? Smoltz? Glavine? Mulder?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
Miguel Olivo for one year and Flowers' mentor....lol.

I'd actually love to have Olivo's arm back there until Flowers is ready.

Too bad that A. J. is getting paid more coin than today's market dictates.

Edited by WCSox

Presenting the only thing better than AJ throwing....

Victor Martinez in the middle of the White Sox offense, sharing C/1B/DH with Flowers, Paulie and JD.

LH bat problem solved. Victor isn't worth as much at 1B (see Mauer discussion), but if we could trade Jenks and Konerko (sell high again)....wouldn't we be better off with Victor Martinez, Flowers and Dye and using the leftover money for CF/leadoff/LF/RF?

You know Ozzie and KW are very familiar with Victor Martinez. Interesting thought.

Don't think the Red Sox will bring him back...well, depends on what happens with Varitek, I suppose. But don't think Francona wants Martinez as their 60-75% of the PT starting catcher.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
We probably have to open up an additional bit of breathing room in our payroll...not sure.

Jenks is going to be around $8 million next year. The other options are trading Konerko (unlikely) and/or saving money bringing back Dye and/or Thome ($6-8 million but not $11-13 million as they're currently paid)....don't think we will ever get from out under the Linebrink contract now.

OTOH, if you had THAT historically amazing rotation (Peavy/Buehrle, Webb, Floyd and Danks), it would be a crying shame to risk so many blown saves turning the game over to Thornton or Pena at the end of games.

Someone like Byrd, Doug Davis...Garland, etc., is more likely for the back of the rotation unless they think Hudson and/or Torres are ready.

Duchscherer has been mentioned a lot around here. Who else is rehabbing or struggling with health issues? Smoltz? Glavine? Mulder?

Spending real money on a 5th starter is a waste. They don't help you in the postseason.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
Don't think the Red Sox will bring him back...well, depends on what happens with Varitek, I suppose.

Varitek's getting up there in age. I don't know about Victor specifically, but Varitek definitely appears to be on his way out.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Oh, I'd love Victor Martinez. But wouldn't Konerko have veto rights on a trade? And would Kenny even want to deal The Captain?

His new deal calls for him to receive $12 million annually. Chicago agreed to a limited no-trade clause that states he can't be dealt to six specified teams without his permission.

AJP is one of the least appreciated players on this board. As far as Jenks, unless he's lights out the rest of the season and the Sox have no other options, I looked for him to be shopped. I don't think KW wants to pay him his next arb number. As far as Webb goes, absolutely look to sign him if the surgery is a success and he can start throwing fairly soon, but I doubt it. Look at all the guys with shoulder problems. They are always out longer than first thought and usually don't have much. Garcia, Prior, Mulder, didn't Smoltz have shoulder issues? He's batting practice.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
His new deal calls for him to receive $12 million annually. Chicago agreed to a limited no-trade clause that states he can't be dealt to six specified teams without his permission.

I'm pretty sure Boston and NY are 2 of those teams.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
But NOT having a fifth starter can keep you out of post-season, surely.

I'd rather pay Jenks (or another accomplished closer) for 2010 than pay Webb to be a 5th starter. Having a great #5 doesn't mean much if your 'pen consistently blows the lead later in the game.

Assuming that Peavy's healthy later this summer, our rotation is in pretty freaking good shape. But our bullpen's going to have some serious holes this winter.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
I'd rather pay Jenks (or another accomplished closer) for 2010 than pay Webb to be a 5th starter.

Assuming that Peavy's healthy later this summer, our rotation is in pretty freaking good shape. But our bullpen's going to have some serious holes this winter.

Mike Gonzalez (32)

Kevin Gregg (32)

Trevor Hoffman (42)

Fernando Rodney (33)

Rafael Soriano (30)

Jose Valverde (30)

Billy Wagner (38) - $8MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Pretty sure Franklin will be back with STL, and wouldn't want him in the AL anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Mike Gonzalez (32)

Kevin Gregg (32)

Trevor Hoffman (42)

Fernando Rodney (33)

Rafael Soriano (30)

Jose Valverde (30)

Billy Wagner (38) - $8MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Pretty sure Franklin will be back with STL, and wouldn't want him in the AL anyway.

Wagner's done, Gregg sucks, and Rodney's injury-prone. Not sure if I'd want Hoffman at his advanced age. Are Soriano and Valverde seriously going to be available and cheap?