Going to the game Wednesday and I have a question about parking

sam785

$23 is a lot better than the hassle of driving past the stadium, finding parking downtown, walking to an El station, then spending 20-30 minutes plus on a crowded El Train doubling back.

Anywhere you park downtown will probably cost $20+ as well.

Drive up to Michigan City, Gary, or East Chicago and take the South Shore in if you want, but two people is still close to $23.

Nope. It costs an arm and a leg to park at the US Cellular. And you STILL have to walk far as hell to get to the stadium. Only the season ticket holders get to park in the actual parking lot now. Single ticket holders have to park off site WAAAAY over by IIT. That sucks big time. You figure if you're paying 23 dollars to park, you would at least get to park convienient next to the stadium. WRONG.

With all that being said though, I took a chance and took the Metra from the suburbs into down town, then took the Red Line to the park. That was the biggest freaking hassle... I'll just go ahead and pay the 23 dollars from now on.

So the parking lot by the church in CF is just for season ticket holders now? Thanks for the advice, I guess ill just pay the $23, even though im really not a fan of paying more to park than for my tickets,

QUOTE (sam785 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
Im driving from Central IN and want to avoid $23 parking without getting my car stolen, where should I park, or where should I park downtown in order to ride the train.

One thing that may work for you is to come in a little early and park at Connies Pizza on Archer Ave. They offer free parking and a "free shuttle" to and from the game. The pluses are its free and why not spend $23 and get a late lunch or early dinner. I will warn that the "shuttles" are actually their delivery vans that can hold about 4-5 people at a time so you may have a little wait after the game. I believe the pick up spot is at the Italian/American Club a few blocks north of the cell.

We actually use this alot when we are taking multiple cars to the game. we all meet there,eat lunch, and then all pile in one car and go to the game. After the game we get a ride back or wait for the shuttle.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Park on Morgan St. Its just west of Halsted. Your car won't get stolen. Its about a half mile walk. Takes about 20 min.

That's a great suggestion. Otherwise you could park on Michigan Ave. between 33rd and 35th. Free parking only a block from CPD headquarters. There is also non-resident street parking on 33rd St. just East of State.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
wow, they raised parking prices at the Cell to $23 dollars???

I could've sworn parking was considerably cheaper last year.

$18 for us season ticket holders....assuming you buy the parking with your tix.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
There is a bar/restaurant (the name escapes me right now) on pershing and 36th or 37th street that I have used. They let you park there for free during the game if you come in and eat or have a drink or two. Food is good too.

I believe you are referring to Cobblestone

Link

QUOTE (SockMe @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Just take the metra then the red line, its very easy.

On the weekdays the trains come every hour, then its like a 6 block walk to the red line (state street) then like a 15 minute ride.

I did this and it sucked. There was way too many people and the red line didn't get back downtown in time for me to catch Metra home. I had to wait almost 2 hours for the next train.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
I did this and it sucked. There was way too many people and the red line didn't get back downtown in time for me to catch Metra home. I had to wait almost 2 hours for the next train.

always easy for me, I get there pretty early so the red line is usually never packed on the way there. And if u really hate the packed red lines on the way back that much u could just walk over to the Green Line which is only like a block away. But I understand how someone wouldn't want to wait 2 hours, booooooooooooooring. I take the Pacific West Line on the way home on weekdays so there is a train every hour, im not sure about the other lines.

Two things u can always just risk it by parking the adjacent neighborhoods (from 35th to 31st St, From Wentworth to Normal Ave) where u are supposed to have a residential permit. I have parked their before and not received a ticket, but its a risk. Also along 31st st and shields there is meter parking which is free after 8pm so u pay till then. Same with halsted about 5 blocks from the stadium, metered street parking. Good luck.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Two things u can always just risk it by parking the adjacent neighborhoods (from 35th to 31st St, From Wentworth to Normal Ave) where u are supposed to have a residential permit. I have parked their before and not received a ticket, but its a risk. Also along 31st st and shields there is meter parking which is free after 8pm so u pay till then. Same with halsted about 5 blocks from the stadium, metered street parking. Good luck.

meters have been changed to 9pm i believe now, with 2 hour max and probably $4/hr. so you'll risk the last 15 min before 9 if you get there at 645, but thats probably not an issue. if you're paying anyways park at one of the bars with a lot that lets you stay and get a couple drinks. otherwise you're hoofing it from outside the residential area. you can also park somewhere along the green or red line, but there not too many places i'd leave the car south. green line at ashland is probably fine, that leaves you just west of the loop in a semi-industrial little area. then just jump on the green to 35th.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
I believe you are referring to Cobblestone

Link

That is the place i was thinking of. Thank you. And I dont think you have to be 21 to get in there. You can just have some food and pop. My little bro has come there with me.

QUOTE (IITsox @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
That's a great suggestion. Otherwise you could park on Michigan Ave. between 33rd and 35th. Free parking only a block from CPD headquarters. There is also non-resident street parking on 33rd St. just East of State.

This was a terrific suggestion, safe, well-lit, very little traffic on the way out, and most importantly FREE, not to mention a White Sox winner.

QUOTE (sam785 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
This was a terrific suggestion, safe, well-lit, very little traffic on the way out, and most importantly FREE, not to mention a White Sox winner.

Glad to help.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Or even Halsted - the walk isn't that bad, and there's good bars over there for afterward.

This is what I do when I am meeting a group of guys. We grab something to eat and few brews before the game and then walk over to The Cell together.