Jeter

RoyHobbs

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
It would be hilarious if Jeter juiced, just to hear the media excuses for him.

It will be just like this season when Sutcliffe was doing a Yankees game on ESPN and Jeter made a routine play into a stretch and his jump throw... Sutcliffe then babbled on for roughly 5 minutes about the article that came out in the offseason about how Jeter was the worse defensive everyday player in the majors and how the evil people were using stats in that article etc... Except he and ESPN's entire production staff failed to mention that article was based on a group of scouts watching video!!! not stats!!!

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:00 PM)
It will be just like this season when Sutcliffe was doing a Yankees game on ESPN and Jeter made a routine play into a stretch and his jump throw... Sutcliffe then babbled on for roughly 5 minutes about the article that game out in the offseason about how Jeter was the worse defensive everyday player in the majors and how the evil people were using stats in that article etc... Except he and ESPN's entire production staff failed to mention that article was based on a group of scouts watching video!!! not stats!!!

Sutcliffe is the worst analyst on tv

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042008/sport...jors_136772.htm

OK, i was going to just edit my original post, but since it wasn't the last one up I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to bury my correction.

Seems I was a little strong in saying no stat heads were involved, it appears they were, but as this article explains they used tons and tons of video to analyze things and they did have a panel vote.

Awesome NY based article too, it also then mentions the purely statitical Penn study that said he's terrible then uses Gold Gloves and a quote from Jeter himself!! Excellent!! Apparently that one year Palmero played like 20 games at 1b then DH'd the rest and won the Gold Glove legitimized that award!

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
As far as saying "oh if Jeter juiced then I'm done"...that's just stupid.

No kidding. This articles goes to show how obnoxiously provincial ESPN is. Does anybody not living in the Northeast think that Cardinals fans, Cubs fans, Astros fans, Dodgers fans, or Mariners fans would stop watching baseball if Jeter was found guilty of using PEDs? Do they not realize that we don't really give a crap about the overrated players that they put on a pedestal? And, hey, I like Jeter and all, but he represents the game to me about as much as Bud Selig does.

FWIW, I've also heard rumors that Jeter indeed did use PEDs. Yet, I have no plans to boycott MLB.

This "sanctity of the game" stuff really gets annoying after a while because so often it seems brutally disingenuous. When f***ing trash like Bud Selig and Jay Hineybird talk about the game having a sacredness, and how records and historic performances in baseball hold more significance than they do in other sports, they don't really mean that s***. They're complete liars. Pro sports = $$$$$$ and not much else for a lot of these guys whose records are supposed to be sacred. For instance, Manny Ramirez was making like $22M per year or whatever to lope around LF like a f***wad, and challenge clubhouses attendants to fights, and load up on roids, and skip games, and quit on his team, etc. Meanwhile Ernie Young has spent practically his entire career playing hard in the minors helping young prospects learn and just waiting for another shot. I guarantee Manny's records mean a lot more to Ernie Young than to Manny himself as a result. But what I'm getting at is this sanctity of the game s*** really doesn't apply to many people - and many if not most of the people who crow on and on about it are only lying to themselves and trying to be part of the "in-crowd" that places an absurd level of importance upon any sport and any athlete. I mean, just considering abandoning the sport over an esteemed player roiding is childish - it's like if you don't get what you want, you just cry and go home. What adult thinks like that? What adult actually considers Derek Jeter - or any athlete - a f***ing hero? That is ridiculous. This guy wouldn't quit watching baseball over Jeter roiding, and if for some reason he did, it would be either because he's a complete p**** who is WAY too close to Jeter's nutsac or it would be because he never loved the game as much as he preached to begin with.

Look, it f***ing blows that Bonds* broke Aaron's record. It f***ing blows that Roger Clemens' entire career numbers will be viewed as tainted. But to me, what really f***ing sucks about it is not where their numbers rank with or without the asterisk, but it's the fact that I know they cannot appreciate where they stand. Barry Bonds cheated because he wanted to reach a number only, same with Clemens. If Bonds for example gave two s***s about Hank Aaron's career he would have tried to pass it with honor and as a result wouldn't have taken anything. Bonds, by cheating and out of total selfishness, put himself one peg higher in the record books than a man who dealt with rampant racism and whose home runs came in an era of larger ballparks and without the juiced ball and who also played in an era where players didn't make the same kinds of salaries they do now and therefore would have viewed playing the game of baseball for a living as more of a privilege than a job. That's what gets me about the roiders. They have so much in today's game that gives them an advantage naturally just through improved medicine and a more powerful union, and they make so much more money, that they should at least try to respect the game somewhat. So when they cheat to break a major record they're just doing it for personal satisfaction and they don't care about the player whose record they're usurping.

Fifty years from now none of this will matter. Most all of these roiders are going into the HOF, if not by the same journalists who are b****ing now (and who will suddenly have a change of heart when it comes to someone like ARod) then the roiders will be elected by the veterans committees. Most of the old players' records will all be broken and the new ones will appear artificial anyway, and future generations aren't going to remember who cheated when and where, nor will they care. Ultimately as a fan it sucks that this has gone on, but the problem isn't irreparable so long as Commissioner Sweepitundertherug actually does what he should do and release all the names to protect those who were NOT caught using and do whatever it takes to come up with a system for testing for HGH. But although that's not going to happen anytime soon, it could happen in the future. Either way, looking down on the game itself and giving up on the game itself because of the selfish actions of some overpaid celebrity just because you feel victimized for stupidly idolizing him is only something a p**** would do.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 06:28 AM)
This "sanctity of the game" stuff really gets annoying after a while because so often it seems brutally disingenuous. When f***ing trash like Bud Selig and Jay Hineybird talk about the game having a sacredness, and how records and historic performances in baseball hold more significance than they do in other sports, they don't really mean that s***. They're complete liars. Pro sports = $$$$$$ and not much else for a lot of these guys whose records are supposed to be sacred. For instance, Manny Ramirez was making like $22M per year or whatever to lope around LF like a f***wad, and challenge clubhouses attendants to fights, and load up on roids, and skip games, and quit on his team, etc. Meanwhile Ernie Young has spent practically his entire career playing hard in the minors helping young prospects learn and just waiting for another shot. I guarantee Manny's records mean a lot more to Ernie Young than to Manny himself as a result. But what I'm getting at is this sanctity of the game s*** really doesn't apply to many people - and many if not most of the people who crow on and on about it are only lying to themselves and trying to be part of the "in-crowd" that places an absurd level of importance upon any sport and any athlete. I mean, just considering abandoning the sport over an esteemed player roiding is childish - it's like if you don't get what you want, you just cry and go home. What adult thinks like that? What adult actually considers Derek Jeter - or any athlete - a f***ing hero? That is ridiculous. This guy wouldn't quit watching baseball over Jeter roiding, and if for some reason he did, it would be either because he's a complete p**** who is WAY too close to Jeter's nutsac or it would be because he never loved the game as much as he preached to begin with.

Look, it f***ing blows that Bonds* broke Aaron's record. It f***ing blows that Roger Clemens' entire career numbers will be viewed as tainted. But to me, what really f***ing sucks about it is not where their numbers rank with or without the asterisk, but it's the fact that I know they cannot appreciate where they stand. Barry Bonds cheated because he wanted to reach a number only, same with Clemens. If Bonds for example gave two s***s about Hank Aaron's career he would have tried to pass it with honor and as a result wouldn't have taken anything. Bonds, by cheating and out of total selfishness, put himself one peg higher in the record books than a man who dealt with rampant racism and whose home runs came in an era of larger ballparks and without the juiced ball and who also played in an era where players didn't make the same kinds of salaries they do now and therefore would have viewed playing the game of baseball for a living as more of a privilege than a job. That's what gets me about the roiders. They have so much in today's game that gives them an advantage naturally just through improved medicine and a more powerful union, and they make so much more money, that they should at least try to respect the game somewhat. So when they cheat to break a major record they're just doing it for personal satisfaction and they don't care about the player whose record they're usurping.

Fifty years from now none of this will matter. Most all of these roiders are going into the HOF, if not by the same journalists who are b****ing now (and who will suddenly have a change of heart when it comes to someone like ARod) then the roiders will be elected by the veterans committees. Most of the old players' records will all be broken and the new ones will appear artificial anyway, and future generations aren't going to remember who cheated when and where, nor will they care. Ultimately as a fan it sucks that this has gone on, but the problem isn't irreparable so long as Commissioner Sweepitundertherug actually does what he should do and release all the names to protect those who were NOT caught using and do whatever it takes to come up with a system for testing for HGH. But although that's not going to happen anytime soon, it could happen in the future. Either way, looking down on the game itself and giving up on the game itself because of the selfish actions of some overpaid celebrity just because you feel victimized for stupidly idolizing him is only something a p**** would do.

Very nicely put.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)

I love this rant

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 04:28 AM)
Fifty years from now none of this will matter.

Yep, just as the Black Sox scandal and the throwing of countless other games prior to the 1919 WS is just an afterthought now.

In the sagely words of John Popper, "It won't mean a thing in a hundred years."