U of I

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
former U of I dining hall worker here!

woot woot

The food wasn't all that bad there, I went to visit my brother at bradley U in peoria and that was way worse.

Yea Bradley U tried to sell me on the food there when I went to visit saying it was rated as one of the best in the country and its about the same as U of I. U of I is pretty ordinary, trick is to make your own creations of food from what they serve. That way its not so boring.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
If there is any hypocrisy, it is the NCAA trying to find anyway for teams to keep their mascot instead of just unilaterally banning all tribal mascots.

Totally agree, but that's kind of what I've been saying since my first post in the thread.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
I do not think one person for or against will make much of a difference. When established tribal leaders, the elected officials for the tribe, come out and say, this is offensive, I believe the right thing to do is ask, what are we trying to do here and is it worth being offensive?

So what is the Chief trying to do?

I guess it depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Some might say it is morally offensive and is doing nothing to promote awareness. Some might say it is one of, if not the last, remaining reminder of the Illini tribe that once called Illinois home and gave it the name.

Not being a Native American: I thought the Chief was about as respectful a symbol as possible considering there were no Illini tribesmen/women to take that role. Just my .02.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
It's not really honoring or respecting the Illini tribe(s) when its based off of non-Illini tribes, though.

Agreed...but if there's no opportunity to learn more because they don't exist anymore, is the next best thing good enough? I don't know the answer to that.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I guess it depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Some might say it is morally offensive and is doing nothing to promote awareness. Some might say it is one of, if not the last, remaining reminder of the Illini tribe that once called Illinois home and gave it the name.

Not being a Native American: I thought the Chief was about as respectful a symbol as possible considering there were no Illini tribesmen/women to take that role. Just my .02.

Somewhere in the debate, IMHO, is the purpose of the mascot. I wonder if it is ever really appropriate to take someone's image and use it as a sports mascot to help your team.

"I have an idea! If we dress up like Indians, we may just beat OSU!"

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Agreed...but if there's no opportunity to learn more because they don't exist anymore, is the next best thing good enough? I don't know the answer to that.

I do not see the education element with most mascots. See above.

I'm currently attending right now.

They're going to open one of the largest dinning halls in the country here next year.

That's definitely going to be a treat. The food here is alright I guess. Not everything tastes as good as it looks or seems to be.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)

They're going to open one of the largest dinning halls in the country here next year.

That's definitely going to be a treat. The food here is alright I guess. Not everything tastes as good as it looks or seems to be.

Yea the whole new Ikenberry Commons will be awesome.

But Im not a fan of the new dining halls they are opening, such as PAR (where I lived last year). Its a good idea with poor execution. I love the fact that you have so many stations to choose from, but everything they make is fried and they usually serve the same food at lunch and dinner, so your options are actually pretty limited (unless you want hamburgers or pizza twice a day, every day).

Im not terribly excited about the food at ISR (where Im an RA) but you can live with it while eating relatively healthy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)

But Im not a fan of the new dining halls they are opening, such as PAR (where I lived last year). Its a good idea with poor execution. I love the fact that you have so many stations to choose from, but everything they make is fried and they usually serve the same food at lunch and dinner, so your options are actually pretty limited (unless you want hamburgers or pizza twice a day, every day).

Im not terribly excited about the food at ISR (where Im an RA) but you can live with it while eating relatively healthy.

Just because Frosted Flakes have corn in them doesn't make them healthy.

People can argue until they are blue in the face, but the chief is dead and not coming back, no matter what is said. In addition, getting other mascots (like FSU) taken away would be a waste of time seeing as the chief would still be dead even if that occurs. I have always like U of I and their athletic teams and thought the chief was a cool mascot, but it's over no matter how anybody feels.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)

Oh nice dude. I live in Wardall right now. Where are you the RA at?

PAR is kinda plain and it's crowded as hell right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Oh nice dude. I live in Wardall right now. Where are you the RA at?

PAR is kinda plain and it's crowded as hell right now.

4 South, are you Wardall 8 or 9? I know both of those RAs pretty well. Theyre both cool. We should watch some Sox games on the new TV over in Townsend A.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
4 South, are you Wardall 8 or 9? I know both of those RAs pretty well. Theyre both cool. We should watch some Sox games on the new TV over in Townsend A.

I'm on 9 and yeah sure, that'd be cool.

Just shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can make it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)

Where is that huge dining hall gonna be? Graduated a couple years ago, never heard anything about it

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Where is that huge dining hall gonna be? Graduated a couple years ago, never heard anything about it

Replacing all of Ikenberry Commons (6-Pack) with new buildings and the dining hall will be huge there. Should be open within a year, and it looks fantastic so far.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
Replacing all of Ikenberry Commons (6-Pack) with new buildings and the dining hall will be huge there. Should be open within a year, and it looks fantastic so far.

Wow, just looked it up, looks awesome. Definitely a bit better than the old Illini Orange McDonalds that was there when I lived there.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)

What part of a kid doing gymnastics moves in front of a crowd at a sporting event while wearing tribal garb is respectful?