FIRE OZZIE

shago

At the very least, we should accord Jose the respect he deserves for coming back so quickly from an Achilles' injury when he could have pulled a David Wells and just sat out the season or came back only in the 2nd half of the season to market himself to other teams for a new contract.

Then, there's 2005 and 2006. You will never convince me otherwise that we could have won anything that year without him on the roster. He was the most dominant pitcher in baseball for 4-5 months stretching across those two seasons.

He also signed a below market value contract (at the time) which later became similar to Konerko's (a bad contract), but was really a combination reward/pat on the back for good work for 2005, just like Konerko's deal in that offseason.

The fact is, Torres, Garcia and Hudson probably won't give us solid results either, or they would be the "clearcut" choice to be starting, and they're not....nor is DJ Carrasco.

Jose had "mini-runs" in 2009 and 2008 (first half) where he looked very very good, especially the first 2-3 months of 2008 before he started trying to pitch through injuries. And he's 40+ still throwing a 95 MPH fastball....he's gotten himself into remarkable physical condition, it's just that the pitching game for Jose is 95% mental and that's always been his bugaboo.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
Kenny put together a solid team. I agree 100% with him in saying that this team is one of the best we've had in recent years. It's just not translating from paper to the field.

I'm not sure if that is on Ozzie or the players. My guy tells me if you can't gel with Ozzie as your manager, you ain't never going to.

Going into the season with Fields at 3B, Getz and Nix at 2B, Brian f***ing Anderson in CF, and then having the balls to throw Contreras and Colon out there as our 4-5 SP's is not putting a solid team out there.

Ok so you fire Ozzie, who replaces him then?

Joey Cora? Would that be more of the same type of manager we've seen from Ozzie over the past few years?

If anything, the blame lies with Greg Walker, and well, we've all complained about him over the years.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:02 AM)
Going into the season with Fields at 3B, Getz and Nix at 2B, Brian f***ing Anderson in CF, and then having the balls to throw Contreras and Colon out there as our 4-5 SP's is not putting a solid team out there.

Thome, Dye, Konerko, Quentin, Alexei, A.J., Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Jenks, and Thornton are pretty solid, no? You can't have All-Stars at every position.

The problem is that the first three of those are declining, the fourth is playing through plantar fascitis, and the fifth is having a bad season.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)

We all know this was supposed to be a bit of a rebuilding year. The team shows some life so he goes out and adds Peavy and Rios. A rotation of Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/Peavy along with an offense featuring Dye/Quentin/Thome/Konerko/Rios/AJ/Beckham/Ramirez....yes, on paper, I view that as a very good team. This team has enough talent to beat anyone. They just can't sack it up and do it.

No manager will ever please the fans with his in-game decisions. No manager is ever 100% correct, they're human too.

Ozzie is by no means a good in-game manager. But if you ask Twins fans, Ron Gardenhire's also a horrible in-game manager.

Just because the team is underachieving (like it always does) doesn't mean Ozzie should be fired. If anyone has to go, it's Walker.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
In which scene?

He's one of the bad cops - guy with the big nose and kind of balding head. He's in the car with Al Pacino about 30 or so minutes in? And again in a few scenes later. Hell, I haven't watched it so long I don't remember.

He was in Scarface too - he worked with Al Pacino in 3 or 4 films. In Scarface, he's the cop that busts him when they're counting money.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
... and how did we feel today? Again, at the stadium, again, embarrased. Did PHT fans agree with the Williams call? Yeah, neither did I...

Again, no one sitting on the rail. Packing for Florida...

Ok, so who would you have pitched? Ozzie's been burning out the bullpen lately trying to win some games. You've been posting a lot lately without backing up your opinions with fact or at least what you would have done.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
Ok, so who would you have pitched? Ozzie's been burning out the bullpen lately trying to win some games. You've been posting a lot lately without backing up your opinions with fact or at least what you would have done.

Disco72, first of all, you are taking this very personally for some reason. More importantly, people can post whatever they like. You keep Freddy going because he was pitching well. If you replace him, you let your relief pitcher warm-up sufficently... That's purely managerial, nothing to do with Williams.

How else would you like me to 'back-up' my opinions on qualitative issues like managing? I'll give you a lay-up, how many managers in MLB have started more different line-ups than Ozzie over the past two years? He over-manages. We can get to some of the harder ones, like fundamentals, after you nail that one smart guy.

Oh, and btw, Disco still sucks.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
Disco72, first of all, you are taking this very personally for some reason. More importantly, people can post whatever they like. You keep Freddy going because he was pitching well. If you replace him, you let your relief pitcher warm-up sufficently... That's purely managerial, nothing to do with Williams.

How else would you like me to 'back-up' my opinions on qualitative issues like managing? I'll give you a lay-up, how many managers in MLB have started more different line-ups than Ozzie over the past two years? He over-manages. We can get to some of the harder ones, like fundamentals, after you nail that one smart guy.

Oh, and btw, Disco still sucks.

I'm not taking it personally at all. You can post whatever opinion you'd like, but this is a discussion forum. If you say that it was a bad decision, I'm interested in why you think it was a bad decision. Otherwise, it's just a complaint forum! :D

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
I'm not taking it personally at all. You can post whatever opinion you'd like, but this is a discussion forum. If you say that it was a bad decision, I'm interested in why you think it was a bad decision. Otherwise, it's just a complaint forum! :D

This is a complaint forum now.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
He's one of the bad cops - guy with the big nose and kind of balding head. He's in the car with Al Pacino about 30 or so minutes in? And again in a few scenes later. Hell, I haven't watched it so long I don't remember.

He was in Scarface too - he worked with Al Pacino in 3 or 4 films. In Scarface, he's the cop that busts him when they're counting money.

Damn, I wish I didn't already send it back. I'd like to have found that scene.