Why did we trade Jim Thome?

DaTank

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Jim Thome. I think he's exactly what the White Sox doesn need: a player who's only strenght is the long ball.

On-base percentage was one of JT's strengths as well, and is something that the rest of the team is sorely lacking. At the time that he was traded, JT was the only Sox player with an OBP ov .350 or higher.

As much as I don't like players who are too fragile to do anything other than DH, I'd love to have Thome and his really solid OBP back again in 2010.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
He can't stay off the DL. i would rather not have him.

That's also while playing in the NL and playing the field though. His injuries the last couple years could make him a serious bargain-steal candidate. And frankly, I think our trainers are better than those other teams have working for them, based on the fact that we're always at the top of the league in keeping people healthy/off the DL.

I'll buy into the theory that Nick Johnson could get 400+ ABs if he were relegated to a DH role.

We're talking a .900 OPS if this guy could somehow manage to stay healthy, and there's no question that he'll come cheap given his history of injuries.

Sounds like a f***ing plan, and then some.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
I'll buy into the theory that Nick Johnson could get 400+ ABs if he were relegated to a DH role.

We're talking a .900 OPS if this guy could somehow manage to stay healthy, and there's no question that he'll come cheap given his history of injuries.

Sounds like a f***ing plan, and then some.

Assuming he doesn't go down this month, he'll have had 450+ at bats this year in the NL.

How bout Mike Sweeney for DH and Joe Crede for utility infielder?

The bad back brigade.

This thread didn't need to be so long.

The answer to the thread's question: "So he could pinch hit for the Dodgers and bat once a game til the WS when he DHs against righty pitching."

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Nick Johnson is an OPB machine. We could put him near the top of the order, and he could actually set the table for some of the other guys.

I think he'd be perfect in the #3 slot. In 2006, dude had a .950 OPS, 70 extra-base hits, and 110 walks. That's what he can provide w/ upwards of 500 AB.

He'll turn 31 later this month, so it would be nice to have him during the Peavy era, especially if it'll only cost us 5 MIL per year.

I think he'd be perfect in the #3 slot. In 2006, dude had a .950 OPS, 70 extra-base hits, and 110 walks. That's what he can provide w/ upwards of 500 AB.

He'll turn 31 later this month, so it would be nice to have him during the Peavy era, especially if it'll only cost us 5 MIL per year.

Really, we're using 2006 stats?

Freddy Garcia was 17-9, 4.53 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 216.1 IP and nearly threw a perfect game in 2006. Perhaps we should make him our #3 starter after Peavy and Buehrle next season?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 01:19 AM)
Really, we're using 2006 stats?

Freddy Garcia was 17-9, 4.53 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 216.1 IP and nearly threw a perfect game in 2006. Perhaps we should make him our #3 starter after Peavy and Buehrle next season?

2006 was Nick Johnson's last healthy season. He was 28 at the time, and he's 31 as of now, so theoretically, his '06 line should offer a pretty good indication as to what he could provide if he were to stay relatively healthy over the next couple of seasons. A hitter generally peaks in between the ages of 27 and 33, or at least it seems like it.

And if Nick were relegated to a DH role, he'd have a much better chance of getting 400 to 500 AB. That's the whole key.

Now, for coming at me like that, I'm gonna personally attack you via the PMs.