Peavy claims to be ready

PeavyTime

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Lets rush our cy young award winner to the bump during a season that doesn't matter!! Yeah Bro!!!~

If that's you're thinking, then WHY run out one of the best three starters in the AL in Buerhle, Floyd and Danks? They lead the league in quality starts, while playing nicked up. Danks has 8 consecutive quality starts alone. Wonder what his Win/loss record would be in Boston, NY or LAA? No one ever talks about Floyd or Danks being Cy Young winners because of the W/L record. Danks was steady in the top 5 AL pitchers last yr for ERA. Floyd had 17 wins!! Why hasn't Mark won the CY Young award? Perfect game (only 18 in HISTORY!!!), no-hitter and 200 innings pitched for YEARS and YEARS. Hope Peavy does well cuz he's wearing Sox uniform. Just sick and tired of our PROVEN starters not getting the props deserved.

Again with the extremes. A couple starts aren't ruining anything for him, but the idea that he HAS to start is also silly.

I think the benefit of getting back into a couple games, just to get the feel back, and to keep the fan base interested, makes it worth it. But its not a huge deal either way. He doesn't have an arm injury or something, its a busted ankle - if its healed, there is so little risk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I'm big on the season Mark and Danks has had. Educate me on Floyd. Has he been just as nasty? I know his record is something like 12-12. The games I've watched he hasn't been as good as Mark/Danks.

Floyd has alternated between really, really, ridiculously nasty and not so good. He was terrible in April and for the better part of May. Just hammered every time out. Then June rolled around and suddenly he was on a roll, and he had an ERA around 1 for about a month and a half.

He's struggled a bit on the road, notably, especially these last couple weeks. But there have been some magnificent performances from Floyd this year. If you could knock off that April/May, his name would legitimately be up there in the top 5 in the Cy Young voting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
Floyd has alternated between really, really, ridiculously nasty and not so good. He was terrible in April and for the better part of May. Just hammered every time out. Then June rolled around and suddenly he was on a roll, and he had an ERA around 1 for about a month and a half.

He's struggled a bit on the road, notably, especially these last couple weeks. But there have been some magnificent performances from Floyd this year. If you could knock off that April/May, his name would legitimately be up there in the top 5 in the Cy Young voting.

The hip injury explains a lot of that. It makes it hard to get a solid torque during the wind up meaning you aren't getting full velocity and/or break.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 02:14 AM)
I have a feeling Floyd could be our best pitcher next year. All 4 of his pitches are nasty, and when his curveball is on, he is unhittable.

I really enjoy watching Gavin pitch he is something special and he has the stuff to throw a no-hiiter IMO

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
I have a feeling Floyd could be our best pitcher next year. All 4 of his pitches are nasty, and when his curveball is on, he is unhittable.

Gavin Floyd has the highest ceiling of anyone who started on the Sox in April 2009. To me, that isn't a big limb you are walking out on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
Not a bad outing. You could tell he wasn't very crisp, and had some control issues, but the guy throws nothing straight. If he can spot that slider, it's on.

He has some nasty on those pitches and like you said he plays with a fire inside. We need that

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Just seen this on MLBTR....I wouldn't do this deal.

The latest from John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus:

Seems like pure speculation, but a Jake Peavy for Carlos Zambrano deal this offseason would not surprise some in Chicago.

That is just dumb. We aren't trading a better pitcher, for a nutcase with a worse contract.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
I wonder if the Milton Bradley thing is going to be like what happened with the Sox and Swisher. Wherein, they'll give up the guy for anything. Bradley can hit, he's a DH in the NL, but he is an On-Base Machine.

He didn't exactly "Hit" this year. Injuries sure, non-DH sure, but blah