Beckham - 3B

Pierzynski - C

Quentin - LF

Konerko - 1B

Kotsay - RF

Ramirez - SS

Rios - CF

Getz/Nix - 2B

it's not spectacular, but at this point, this is the lineup that gives the team the best chance to win. With that lineup, you get good defense in the outfield, good defense in the infield (outside of Konerko...scooping is nice, but ranging to your right saves hits), and a lineup that may put up some runs. When a pitching staff is struggling, the best thing you can do for it is to save any balls in play that would normally be hits.

JD is relegated to 4th outfielder, meaning when PK needs the day off (knowing Ozzie, and what would atleast be preferable under his lineup management...Kotsay to 1B, Rios to RF, Pods to CF, and Dye to DH on those days that Dye plays and Konerko needs/should have the day off) or Kotsay needs the day off (Dye to RF). Come the 8th inning and later, Wise takes over in RF, Kotsay shifts to 1B, and Konerko is removed...assuming it's extras or the Sox have the lead.

This lineup allows for pinch hitting opportunities within the actual 25-man itself...Nix and Dye will both be available to hit lefties, Getz and Kotsay for righties. If a lefty starts and a good right handed reliever comes in, look for Timo2 (that's Wise) to pinch hit when a lefty comes to bat, and if a righty starts and a lefty comes in, Josh Fields can try and catch up to 88 MPH junk.

just an opinion. I think that is the lineup that allows for the most reward, with an actual bench to use.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
Its hard to bench Dye, but I think you might be right. If the back is as bad as it looks, it is time. Watch Dye's swing on a pitch on the outer half. It is brutal.

Its like Dye is sitting on one type of pitch in one exact spot, and if it isnt there he has no chance to adjust and hit it. Watching him fall apart has been very tough

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 04:16 AM)
Podsednik - DH

Beckham - 3B

Pierzynski - C

Quentin - LF

Konerko - 1B

Kotsay - RF

Ramirez - SS

Rios - CF

Getz/Nix - 2B

it's not spectacular, but at this point, this is the lineup that gives the team the best chance to win. With that lineup, you get good defense in the outfield, good defense in the infield (outside of Konerko...scooping is nice, but ranging to your right saves hits), and a lineup that may put up some runs. When a pitching staff is struggling, the best thing you can do for it is to save any balls in play that would normally be hits.

JD is relegated to 4th outfielder, meaning when PK needs the day off (knowing Ozzie, and what would atleast be preferable under his lineup management...Kotsay to 1B, Rios to RF, Pods to CF, and Dye to DH on those days that Dye plays and Konerko needs/should have the day off) or Kotsay needs the day off (Dye to RF). Come the 8th inning and later, Wise takes over in RF, Kotsay shifts to 1B, and Konerko is removed...assuming it's extras or the Sox have the lead.

This lineup allows for pinch hitting opportunities within the actual 25-man itself...Nix and Dye will both be available to hit lefties, Getz and Kotsay for righties. If a lefty starts and a good right handed reliever comes in, look for Timo2 (that's Wise) to pinch hit when a lefty comes to bat, and if a righty starts and a lefty comes in, Josh Fields can try and catch up to 88 MPH junk.

just an opinion. I think that is the lineup that allows for the most reward, with an actual bench to use.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 06:38 AM)
I'm still not 100% convinced that Ryan Sweeney sucks.

Do you ever read the posts or threads you reply to, or do you just throw out random stream of consciousness in whatever thread is nearest the mouse pointer at that moment?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 04:16 AM)
Podsednik - DH

Beckham - 3B

Pierzynski - C

Quentin - LF

Konerko - 1B

Kotsay - RF

Ramirez - SS

Rios - CF

Getz/Nix - 2B

I'd change the batting order a bit, but I agree on the personnel and their positions.

The rotation should be Freddy and Peavy at the back, and if Peavy isn't ready, go with a four-man rotation for the one week or whatever it takes to get Peavy back. DO NOT start Carlos Torres again, EVER.

The bullpen should go:

Jenks as closer

+/- 2 runs in the 7th-8th: 1. Thornton, 2. Dotel, 3. Hudson

+/- 3 runs in the 7th or 8th: 1. Hudson, 2. Carrasco, 3. Nunez

+/- 2 runs in the 6th: 1. Carrasco, 2. Nunez, 3. Pena

+/- 3 runs in the 6th: 1. Nunez, 2. Pena, 3. Santeliz (when the Barons are done with the playoffs)

+/- 5 runs in the 5th or earlier: 1. Nunez, 2. Pena, 3. Santeliz

If the game is a blowout at any point: 1. Santeliz, 2. Linebrink, 3. Torres, 4. Williams

This should keep everyone fresh and mean that most of the non-closing work goes to, in order:

1. Thornton

2. Dotel

3. Hudson

4. Carrasco

5. Nunez

6. Pena

*Edited down so this post wasn't so long

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
I think if the Sox are going to make a run at this you need a hot Jermaine Dye. If JD, Rios, TCQ and Konerko arent driving in runs, forget about it.

But if all we have is an ice cold, maybe hurting Jermaine Dye, then should we still keep putting him out there?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
But if all we have is an ice cold, maybe hurting Jermaine Dye, then should we still keep putting him out there?

Wite has it right and it should be Kotsay. Kotsay gives us defense, speed, and energy. Jermaine? Not much of anything unfortunately. Maybe having his job challenged and having to come off the bench will get him going like it did for Paulie last year. I can definitely believe that JD is declining, but I have to believe he's got enough left in the tank to be valuable. It's not like this whole slump came on gradually, it was like he jumped off a cliff as soon as the second half started.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Wite has it right and it should be Kotsay. Kotsay gives us defense, speed, and energy. Jermaine? Not much of anything unfortunately. Maybe having his job challenged and having to come off the bench will get him going like it did for Paulie last year.

PK14 was flat out hurting all last year. His improvement towards the end of the year was due to his thumb finally slowly healing.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Oh. I thought the thumb thing had gone away and he had just carried his around slump with him afterwards.

I really don't think his thumb healed until the offseason. IIRC he had a DL stint at one point that helped somewhat, but they kept saying it was bothering him the whole season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)

Im not saying that. Im just saying i dont like our chances if JD cant turn it around the last couple weeks. he has been our best bat the last few years and if he is a bad as he has been, its going to be tough to make up that production.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Its hard to bench Dye, but I think you might be right. If the back is as bad as it looks, it is time. Watch Dye's swing on a pitch on the outer half. It is brutal.

I don't see him being benched. Platooned with Kotsay maybe, but not benched

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Why do you say that? They have both had their share of boneheaded plays. Nix has much, much better range.

Nix has a history of being a plus defender at both middle infield positions, whereas Getz' rep is good but not great at 2B, so going in, Nix looked better. But this season with the Sox, Nix has looked not nearly as good as Getz at 2B. That's not to say it will stay that way, but, that's been the story this year.