Alexei might play in the D.R.

Cubano

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I think it has everything to do with the cold weather. Until last season, I wonder if he ever played a game below about 65 degrees.

It's almost at the stage where you have to consider platooning him with a guy like Nix for the first couple of months IMO, although I think Ozzie would probably just bench him after a while as he did this season for a few games.

I don't mind it. Tons of latin players do this and it doesn't impact them. I just want him to stay out of trouble and be in great baseball shape when the season starts. I don't want him playing all off-season but if he plays for another month to month and a half that is a-ok with me.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
I don't mind it. Tons of latin players do this and it doesn't impact them. I just want him to stay out of trouble and be in great baseball shape when the season starts. I don't want him playing all off-season but if he plays for another month to month and a half that is a-ok with me.

Maybe it will actually have him ready to hit in April this year...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
If his fielding problems were due to inexperience, I would love to see him play. I just think his problems are from a lack of concentration, and positioning, both things that can be fixed immediately. I would think the Sox would want him to take a break and lift some weights, maybe drink a few milkshakes.

Man I wish I could sit around and drink milkshakes!!

So, here is my admittedly paranoid thought on this. I am not sure I like the idea of any of our Cuban defectors playing anywhere near Cuba. If people can escape Cuba to the DR, or Haiti, or wherever, then I am not sure its out of the question that Cuba might not try to take them back. It would create a PR nightmare for Cuba, but I don't think they'd care too much about that.

Probably not worth worrying about, but it came to mind.