Rays to trade Upton or Crawford

son of a rude

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
Konerko for Justin Upton would work, except they have THEE Brandon Allen. Honestly, I'd do Flowers and Jenks for Upton with fillers mixed in on both sides.

Arizona would laugh, then cry from laughter, then laugh some more. Justin Upton is a freaking stud in the making. Unless your talking Lincecum/King Felix, Zona probably ain't doing it. I feel sorry for B.J. though I'm sure he loves his little brother. Kinda sucks when your younger brother will be better in baseball than you are, not to mention is already more mature, better I.Q., and plays better D. Though that happens all the time in baseball as alot of younger brothers were better than their big brothers. Well.. I would get jealous as an older brother. :D

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
Realistically Jenks and Flowers for Crawford, Sonnenstine and Navarro. Long term it hurts the catcher position but you get three years of AJ if you give him an extension and Navarro as a back-up.

or you move Jenks for the parts Tampa wants.

Crawford doesn't need to play center for the Sox.

yeah that's a pretty terrible trade for both teams and they both would get way worse. The White Sox have absolutely no use for Sonnanstine, Navarro is garbage, the Sox weaken the hell out of their bullpen, the Rays don't lose any salary, and don't get near the talent they could.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
I assumed he was talking about BJ, but I think i may be wrong. -_-

Why in gods name would the dbacks do that trade?

Because some rattlesnakes have developed a hybrid toxin that is both a neurotoxin and a hemotoxin. They must have some of the neurotoxins killin' brain cells.

You could maybe get them to do Upton for Beckham + 1.

In terms of cost in players/prospects that it would take in order to acquire Crawford or BJ Upton, I think I would have to pass.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love having either of those guys on the Sox, but I think we're at a crucial moment right now where we ought to be conservative with trading away our prospects.

If it'd be cheaper, I'd rather have the Sox look into getting a guy like Lastings Milledge, Elijah Dukes, Jeremy Hermida, Josh Willingham, or even Rajai Davis like someone mentioned in another thread. I think all these guys can be had for a fraction of the price of what it would cost to get the likes of Upton/Crawford.

I wouldnt mind upton if he didnt take a whole lot to get. We could then have an outfield of CQ, Rios, Upton. I would prefer Crawford but I am going to assume that he would cost a lot to get and since he is a free agent after 2010 I wouldnt give up talent just for 1 year of his service.

IF any of this is true (and this has been reported nowhere besides the Tribune), we won't be in the running. The Rays are in a very enviable position right now. This is what happens when your minor league system is overflowing with premium prospects. It doesn't matter that Crawford is a FA after 2010. They can and probably will demand a big haul. If they can't get what they want, they can go ahead and let him play out 2010, and you know he'll be super motivated with it being his FA year. They can attempt to resign him, of course. If they can't, no big loss for them. They'll just slide Desmond Jennings, who has all the makings to be even better than Crawford, right in. They'll also obviously get compensation for him signing with another team. They'd be fools to even dangle Upton. I don't care what he's done to this point. With his combination of youth/skill/athleticism, you just don't give up on a guy like that. And as has been mentioned, he's not a FA for a few years. Again, this hasn't been brought up anywhere except the Tribune. So it could be nothing. Honestly, I was looking forward to a Crawford, Upton, Jennings OF next year. That would have to be undoubtedly the most athletic OF combination ever.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 06:41 AM)
IF any of this is true (and this has been reported nowhere besides the Tribune), we won't be in the running. The Rays are in a very enviable position right now. This is what happens when your minor league system is overflowing with premium prospects. It doesn't matter that Crawford is a FA after 2010. They can and probably will demand a big haul. If they can't get what they want, they can go ahead and let him play out 2010, and you know he'll be super motivated with it being his FA year. They can attempt to resign him, of course. If they can't, no big loss for them. They'll just slide Desmond Jennings, who has all the makings to be even better than Crawford, right in. They'll also obviously get compensation for him signing with another team. They'd be fools to even dangle Upton. I don't care what he's done to this point. With his combination of youth/skill/athleticism, you just don't give up on a guy like that. And as has been mentioned, he's not a FA for a few years. Again, this hasn't been brought up anywhere except the Tribune. So it could be nothing. Honestly, I was looking forward to a Crawford, Upton, Jennings OF next year. That would have to be undoubtedly the most athletic OF combination ever.

Why wouldn't we be in the running? This is the type of deal Kenny specializes in. He loves to load up his prospects to get a guy on the verge of greatness.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Why wouldn't we be in the running? This is the type of deal Kenny specializes in. He loves to load up his prospects to get a guy on the verge of greatness.

Yeah cuz Nick Swisher, Alex Rios, and Tony Pena are all on the verge of greatness. Hell you might as well throw Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett in there too huh.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
Yeah cuz Nick Swisher, Alex Rios, and Tony Pena are all on the verge of greatness. Hell you might as well throw Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett in there too huh.

Swisher was a bust, but we don't know what we have in Pena and Rios yet. I know it is the cool thing to do to give up on Rios, but he is so far away from his norms, you have to think this season is an aberration until proven otherwise.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
Another note is that the Rays more than likely would not be willing to move them to the Red Sox or Yankees, who tend to be the teams to get players such as this... I whomever moves will wind up in the NL, and that'll probably be Upton.

Good point. You have to imagine that they will look to the NL and the NL west first of all. The last place they want to send these guys is where they will be playing 18/19 games a year against Tampa.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 06:39 AM)
Good point. You have to imagine that they will look to the NL and the NL west first of all. The last place they want to send these guys is where they will be playing 18/19 games a year against Tampa.

The NL West is pretty loaded with young guys too. San Fran as a destination sounds like a really solid fit. Dodgers less so. You know who needs a corner OF who brings offense? The Diamondbacks. Upton for Upton? Or an Upton Upton OF?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)

see, as you can quite clearly see, ss2k said load up on prospects to get these guys. Yeah, he gave up quite a bit to get Swisher (and really only Sweeney has produced at all), but he got Rios and Pena for Brandon Allen, and that's it. He got Roberto Alomar for Andrew Salvo, Edwin Almonte and Royce Ring, none of whom were MLB quality players. He traded for Everett twice and gave up 3-4 quality relievers, depending on how you view Josh Rupe. And in both cases of Everett and the first for Alomar (they only gave up cash the second time, and he bombed hardcore), it worked out pretty damn well.

He also gave up Jeremy Reed, Miguel Olivo, and Mike Morse for Garcia. How'd that work?

Aaron Rowand, Gio Gonzalez, and Daniel Haigwood for Jim Thome?

Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin?

Poreda, Richard, Russell, and Carter for Peavy?

You could mention Griffey too, but I'm not just because neither were really prospects and Griff was a real short-term thing. Point blank, Williams knows how to make these deals, and then he knows when to jump ship too. He got Floyd and Gonzalez back for Garcia, and that has worked out wonderfully for the White Sox. He dealt Young, Vizcaino, and El Duque for Javier Vazquez, and then got Flowers, Santos, and Gilmore back in return (I'm trying to forget about Lillibridge). He knows what he's doing.

Tampa will likely move Crawford this winter and I could easily see KW going hard after him. We still have pretty good depth in the farm to go after this guy and should come a lot cheaper than Upton because of his contract situation.

KW seems to aqcuire his guys via trade and not free agency. With Konerko and AJ off the books after 2010, the Sox should be in a great position to offer Crawford a long term extension during the 2010 season.

My perfect 2010 lineup:

Crawford LF

Beckham 3B

Abreu DH

Quentin RF

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Rios CF

Getz 2B

(This team should lead the majors in SB's)

My perfect 2010 lineup:

Sign Abreu or Damon, trade for Cody Ross, send Paulie out, sell the farm for Adrian Gonzalez

L Getz 2B

R Beckham 3B

L Adrian Gonzalez 1B

R Quentin LF

L Bobby Abreu or Johnny Damon DH

R Ramirez SS

L Pierzynski C

R Rios CF

R Cody Ross RF

Nix UT

Kotsay 1B/OF

Backup C for minimum

Backup SS/CF for minimum (bring in some guys to compete with Lillibridge)

A nice L/R mix of speed, power, OBP, contact, and bat-handling skills, plus a much better defense 2009