It was only a matter of time

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)

This isn't something to blame anyone for other than the out of touch, out of their mind hicks who did this. SE Kentucky isn't exactly a bastion of rational thought. I am sure there are smart people there, but also a lot of scary people. But you seem to hint that this was somehow born of the general anti-government sentiment currently prevalent among the right wing, and I wouldn't make that leap.

This isn't something to blame anyone for other than the out of touch, out of their mind hicks who did this. SE Kentucky isn't exactly a bastion of rational thought. I am sure there are smart people there, but also a lot of scary people.

Exactly. And when Glenn Beck or Michelle Bachmann give these already unstable people the impression that the census bureau is going to put their family in a concentration camp this is what you get. Violence was inevitable.

"If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the census bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations, at the request of President Roosevelt, and that’s how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps. I’m not saying that’s what the Administration is planning to do. But I am saying that private, personal information that was given to the census bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up." - Michele Bachmann

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
"If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the census bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations, at the request of President Roosevelt, and that’s how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps. I’m not saying that’s what the Administration is planning to do. But I am saying that private, personal information that was given to the census bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up." - Michele Bachmann

Well to be fair, in the 40's we were at war with the Japanese.

And right now Obama is at war with white people, right?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
This isn't something to blame anyone for other than the out of touch, out of their mind hicks who did this. SE Kentucky isn't exactly a bastion of rational thought. I am sure there are smart people there, but also a lot of scary people. But you seem to hint that this was somehow born of the general anti-government sentiment currently prevalent among the right wing, and I wouldn't make that leap.

SE Kentucky isn't usually the bastion of anti-government rhetoric, either.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Perhaps you should tell that to Glenn Beck, Ron Paul, and anybody who actually believed Ronald Reagan when he said "Government is the problem."

Again, I'm a radical extremeist! Woot!

GMAFB, people. When you say s*** like this, it's quite ignorant.

The Beckists aren't really republican as much as just completely anti-establishment. Bachmann is republican, and talking about how census workers will kill us all.

This part time census worker was just hung with the words "Fed" scrawled on his chest.

The conclusion that this somehow might be related is not completely insane.

The fact that kapkomet and other republicans seem to take us saying it is personally is.

This man/woman who did this is insane. He/She is not rational. He/She is not you. It doesn't mean the hysterical rhetoric from Bachmann/Beck could not have fueled this murder.

It doesn't mean I want to throw them in jail for hate speech. But the voices who cry out against these lunatics should not be seen as illegitimate if stuff like this turns out to be true.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
The Beckists aren't really republican as much as just completely anti-establishment. Bachmann is republican, and talking about how census workers will kill us all.

This part time census worker was just hung with the words "Fed" scrawled on his chest.

The conclusion that this somehow might be related is not completely insane.

The fact that kapkomet and other republicans seem to take us saying it is personally is.

This man/woman who did this is insane. He/She is not rational. He/She is not you. It doesn't mean the hysterical rhetoric from Bachmann/Beck could not have fueled this murder.

It doesn't mean I want to throw them in jail for hate speech. But the voices who cry out against these lunatics should not be seen as illegitimate if stuff like this turns out to be true.

Yep, Glenn Beck and Michele Baughmann should be on trial for the condoning of this murder. That's pretty much what you all are trying to propgate here, and it's ridiculous. f***tards are f***tards. I seriously doubt these people even know who the hell Beck and Baughmann are.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Again, I'm a radical extremeist! Woot!

GMAFB, people. When you say s*** like this, it's quite ignorant.

No it's not. The brand of Reaganism that's being thrown around by the Glenn Becks and neocons of the world is a bastardization of the conservatism that Reagan ever preached. I'm no fan of his domestic policy choices - and some of his foreign policy, but Reagan may have said it, but his actions proved the opposite. Case in point, his tax hikes in 1982 and 1987. Case in point, the war on drugs. Case in point, increased defense spending. Hell, didn't he even work to preserve social security?

If "Fed" scrawled on his chest turns out to be a nickname, then I'll take it back. BUt a census worker being killed with "Fed" written on his chest while high profile politicians/media personalities are making patently ridiculous, false statements about the census program, it's not insane to connect the two.

Did this murderer, if it turns out to be murder, act on his own accord? Yes. Would he have killed on his own? Maybe/probably. Should Bachmann/Beck continue to be called out for making incredibly ignorant, stupid, hateful and borderline inciteful comments? Yes, period.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
kap, i don't understand what you read, if you read, who you argue against, what you are talking about...don't quote me if you are going to place my argument exactly the opposite of what I'm talking about.

You said:

Then you said that the murder and the quote above very well could be linked.

And then I said to you that IMO that's a pretty ignorant statement and a lot of how this hate crap gets thrown around and perpetuated.