It was only a matter of time

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
No it's not. The brand of Reaganism that's being thrown around by the Glenn Becks and neocons of the world is a bastardization of the conservatism that Reagan ever preached. I'm no fan of his domestic policy choices - and some of his foreign policy, but Reagan may have said it, but his actions proved the opposite. Case in point, his tax hikes in 1982 and 1987. Case in point, the war on drugs. Case in point, increased defense spending. Hell, didn't he even work to preserve social security?

MMMMMMkay. That's taking an inch and running a mile. He did think that government was the problem and was trying to streamline it but repeatedly got knocked down by Congress. And the last time I checked, the executive is EXPLICITLY to defend this country. Unlike the IMPLICIT million other pet projects that the current governent everything is the way crowd (auto, health care, banks, environment controls, social security, medicaid, medicare, war on poverty, etc. etc. etc.)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
If you'd like to concede the same thing for those army recruiters who got shot earlier this year then yeah sure.

First of all, I don't know anything about that story and second, what does that have to do with this case?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
And then I said to you that IMO that's a pretty ignorant statement and a lot of how this hate crap gets thrown around and perpetuated.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

is that what you actually think you are writing when you write :

Yep, Glenn Beck and Michele Baughmann should be on trial for the condoning of this murder. That's pretty much what you all are trying to propgate here, and it's ridiculous. f***tards are f***tards. I seriously doubt these people even know who the hell Beck and Baughmann are.

Your hands typing and what you think you are writing are completely different.

Where did I say that Glenn Beck and Bachmann should be on trial? I said the EXACT opposite of this. If you think hate speech can't fuel some nasty violence, check out Rwanda.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Where did I say that Glenn Beck and Bachmann should be on trial? I said the EXACT opposite of this. If you think hate speech can't fuel some nasty violence, check out Rwanda.

I know you didn't SAY that but what's the next step in saying that "they're responsible" for whoever this f***tard was that killed this guy? That's more or less what you were (perhaps unclearly) perpetuating when you wrote what I repeated.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
If you'd like to concede the same thing for those army recruiters who got shot earlier this year then yeah sure.

No, no, no, no. I suggest you read this book or one like it before attempting to draw any conclusions like that or trying to insinuate one. Although I'm really not even sure what you're trying to say, who is there in this country that is actually even remotely supporting terrorist networks on TV?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
I know you didn't SAY that but what's the next step in saying that "they're responsible" for whoever this f***tard was that killed this guy? That's more or less what you were (perhaps unclearly) perpetuating when you wrote what I repeated.

At some point isn't there a moral responsibility for those that antagonize people that are easily manipulated?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)

when I write "It doesn't mean I want to throw them in jail for hate speech. But the voices who cry out against these lunatics should not be seen as illegitimate if stuff like this turns out to be true."

Meaning, people should start paying attention and give legitimacy to the voices saying bachmann/beck are saying dangerous things,

and you infer that what I'm saying that they should go on trial for this...that means you shouldn't infer things anymore.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
when I write "It doesn't mean I want to throw them in jail for hate speech. But the voices who cry out against these lunatics should not be seen as illegitimate if stuff like this turns out to be true."

Meaning, people should start paying attention and give legitimacy to the voices saying bachmann/beck are saying dangerous things,

and you infer that what I'm saying that they should go on trial for this...that means you shouldn't infer things anymore.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
i find it funny that bmags is going out of his way to unambiguously say that he thinks the murderer acted on his own account but he is still being accused of trying to subtly imply that Beck and Bachmann are responsible for it.

Exactly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was only a matter of time before Godwin's Law hit this thread.

In a general sense it is amazing. All of the hate speech that was directed for eight years at the previous administration was held up as patriotic. Now the next administration hears the same sort of stuff, and somehow the right wing is going to go out and commit an ethnic slaughter of a few million people. Yeah, I wonder why political discourse in this country is no where to be found.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
It was only a matter of time before Godwin's Law hit this thread.

In a general sense it is amazing. All of the hate speech that was directed for eight years at the previous administration was held up as patriotic. Now the next administration hears the same sort of stuff, and somehow the right wing is going to go out and commit an ethnic slaughter of a few million people. Yeah, I wonder why political discourse in this country is no where to be found.

Are you replying to the wrong thread?

I don't know why anyone is suprised by this. The far right has a long history in this country of being violent. It's not like it just started.

I think what Bachmann said was stupid, but extreme right wing violence was around before her and will be around long after she is retired.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I don't know why anyone is suprised by this. The far right has a long history in this country of being violent. It's not like it just started.

I think what Bachmann said was stupid, but extreme right wing violence was around before her and will be around long after she is retired.

For s***s and giggles I wonder if someone can tell me what the political views/goals of far right extremists are.

(disclaimer: in no way am I trying to link conservatives to far right extremists so don't try to act like I'm going there).

Wow, there is some bizarre s*** being thrown around in this thread.

Some small-minded asshole from an area of the country that has a history of having a large amount of anti-government sentiment, NOT as part of the Republican party and WELL BEFORE the recent increase in GOP tea baggers, kills a cencus worker. And people here think that, in any way shape or form, the Republicans are responsible for it? Really?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Wow, there is some bizarre s*** being thrown around in this thread.

Some small-minded asshole from an area of the country that has a history of having a large amount of anti-government sentiment, NOT as part of the Republican party and WELL BEFORE the recent increase in GOP tea baggers, kills a cencus worker. And people here think that, in any way shape or form, the Republicans are responsible for it? Really?

Nobody said anything like that.

However, I'm going to say this - certain mainstream voices strike a chord/nerve with the extreme right. It's like dog whistles.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
For s***s and giggles I wonder if someone can tell me what the political views/goals of far right extremists are.

(disclaimer: in no way am I trying to link conservatives to far right extremists so don't try to act like I'm going there).

No, you're not, but there's some people in here that are.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Nobody said anything like that.

The below quotes from this very thread say otherwise...

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
I wouldn't completely rule it out though.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Exactly. And when Glenn Beck or Michelle Bachmann give these already unstable people the impression that the census bureau is going to put their family in a concentration camp this is what you get. Violence was inevitable.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
"If we look at American history, between 1942 and 1947, the data that was collected by the census bureau was handed over to the FBI and other organizations, at the request of President Roosevelt, and that’s how the Japanese were rounded up and put into the internment camps. I’m not saying that’s what the Administration is planning to do. But I am saying that private, personal information that was given to the census bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up." - Michele Bachmann

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
Lately the distinction between the two has become a lot more blurred.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
You really couldn't see any possible connection? I'm just saying there might have been a link.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
At some point isn't there a moral responsibility for those that antagonize people that are easily manipulated?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)

Beck isn't a Republican, Bachmann is already established to be mildly psychotic so I'm not sure why people would defend her. A few months ago she stopped just short of calling for an armed revolution and she tried to backtrack shortly after. And yes Beck and Bachmann have said some ridiculously inacurate things about the census where Beck does his usual "I'm not saying, I'm just asking questions" routine. I was trying to defend bmags because he is saying it's not completely ridiculous to assume there might be a connection and it shouldn't automatically be dismissed out of hand.

But no, nobody, at least directly, is saying "look what the Republicans did." That's just a lazy conclusion to draw, even lazier than assuming anyone who wonders where the murderer got their ideas from is accusing the GOP of domestic terrorism.

Edited by lostfan

If people on this forum identified with Beck/Bachmann then maybe they should be offended.

But otherwise to assume that because we are pointing out the crap they were spewing may have spurred a violent act we are condemning all republicans, and all conservatives, is just not showing the respect, or at least it shows indignant contempt, for the posters who have showed no such tendencies in the past.

nobody is new here, we all know each other. Bachmann is saying really inciteful s*** to dumb people who might believe it. Beck as well. If you don't think this kind of speech has an effect on people, see mid nineties abortion clinic bombings. And THAT was from people with SMALLER influence than Bachmann AND beck.