Who should the Sox trade for this winter?

GreatScott82

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (cornball @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
Depends on the budget for next year. You have basically 70M tied up in MB, JP, GF, Garcia (4/5 of the rotation for 2010), PK, AR, AJP, Thorton, Linebrink, and Rios. With arb for Jenks, CQ, Danks, and Carrasco.

If you think the team is going to get a new SS with AR under contract for 1.1 for the next 2 years, this is highly unlikely. AR problems are more mental than physical and he will improve defensively. Hopefully he will put 2 halves together at the plate.

They have money to make a splash and would have more if PK or Jenks are moved.

The Sox are in great shape heading into next year, with help needed at the corner outfield, DH and pen. The infield and rotation are set. It should be fun to see.

Welcome aboard! :gosox3:

I agree with that statement. I personally want a SS who isn't making mental errors--and not many physical ones either. So if Alexei is moved, he'd likely bring back 2 players who could be on the sox 25 man roster. Jenks could bring back two players as well.

I could also see Konerko being moved-as long as it was a team on the west coast, that he'd waive his NTC for.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
*JJ Hardy [prob. for Bobby Jenks] and a bullpen arm/ SP from AAA, AA; with acquiring him to play SS, it would allow the sox to trade Alexei Ramirez for:

*1] Josh Reddick from the Red Sox; he's another Georgia boy a few months younger than Gordon; Yet he's a LHB who hits w/ power, and is a great defender in the OF-could play all 3 spots, though projects best in RF; hit .277/.352/.520 in AA; didn't hit well in AAA, though;

*and 2] a bullpen arm.

Reddick's K rate this year went up a ton and over a full season at the same levels he'd have been on pace to K about 130 times or more, and that's just at AA and AAA. Against MLB pitching that would raise even further, so I don't think he's ready for 2010, and I don't see Kenny dealing a major piece for someone who will not play in 2010. And I'd never, ever deal a player like Alexei for a prospect like Reddick. Probably 70% of the time or more that would result in us losing a very productive player while gaining nothing.

Hardy would be another bad choice. We'd again be giving up a productive Alexei for a guy who got demoted to AAA at the age of 26 for putting up an OPS of .657 while supposed to be a power hitter. Hardy makes $4.65M this year while Alexei makes $2.2M through 2011. If Hardy were to return to form in 2010 it is even conceivable that through arbitration Hardy will make more in 2010-11 than Alexei will make for us from 2010-2014. Because unlike Hardy who is only under team control through 2012, Alexei is under team control through 2014. And furthermore, if Alexei gets hurt for some reason his contract still wouldn't be an albatross. If Hardy got hurt, or if he just failed to have a rebound season in 2010, then his deal would be immovable as he'll get at least his same $4.65M in arb this year.

If Kenny traded Alexei for either of these players he should be strung up. If we trade Alexei we need to get a superstar in return. But if we did trade Alexei for a superstar and SS opened up in the process, then I'd target a lot of players before I'd go after JJ Hardy. I'd look for a low-risk, low-cost defensive solution at SS and I'd probably go hard after Maicer Izturis or something.

Reddick's K rate this year went up a ton and over a full season at the same levels he'd have been on pace to K about 130 times or more, and that's just at AA and AAA. Against MLB pitching that would raise even further, so I don't think he's ready for 2010, and I don't see Kenny dealing a major piece for someone who will not play in 2010. And I'd never, ever deal a player like Alexei for a prospect like Reddick. Probably 70% of the time or more that would result in us losing a very productive player while gaining nothing.

Hardy would be another bad choice. We'd again be giving up a productive Alexei for a guy who got demoted to AAA at the age of 26 for putting up an OPS of .657 while supposed to be a power hitter. Hardy makes $4.65M this year while Alexei makes $2.2M through 2011. If Hardy were to return to form in 2010 it is even conceivable that through arbitration Hardy will make more in 2010-11 than Alexei will make for us from 2010-2014. Because unlike Hardy who is only under team control through 2012, Alexei is under team control through 2014. And furthermore, if Alexei gets hurt for some reason his contract still wouldn't be an albatross. If Hardy got hurt, or if he just failed to have a rebound season in 2010, then his deal would be immovable as he'll get at least his same $4.65M in arb this year.

If Kenny traded Alexei for either of these players he should be strung up. If we trade Alexei we need to get a superstar in return. But if we did trade Alexei for a superstar and SS opened up in the process, then I'd target a lot of players before I'd go after JJ Hardy. I'd look for a low-risk, low-cost defensive solution at SS and I'd probably go hard after Maicer Izturis or something.

He had one off year. Part of the reason he got demoted was becausae they have a great SS prospect that they are investing in. The two previous years, he was on of the best shortstops. He put up great numbers for a shortstop and was a beast on defense. Of course it would be a risk, but if he produced closer to career normals, it would be a HUGE benefit.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
He had one off year. Part of the reason he got demoted was becausae they have a great SS prospect that they are investing in. The two previous years, he was on of the best shortstops. He put up great numbers for a shortstop and was a beast on defense. Of course it would be a risk, but if he produced closer to career normals, it would be a HUGE benefit.

Why would you take a risk on an unproductive player getting paid well in arb when you already have someone who is currently productive, is under control for longer, and is making a fraction of what the risky player is currently making to be unproductive? I don't see how that would be a smart idea.

Besides, JJ Hardy will be available in trade for a hell of a lot less than what Alexei Ramirez could fetch. And also, Alexei is just one year older and in his second season in the Majors, despite a horrific start to the season, he's already cut his K rate and dramatically increased his BB rate. The only complaints about Alexei this year should be the mental mistakes on defense, the bad start of the season, and the lack of power in the second half. None of those things should be a reason to give up on 2 years of Alexei at $2.2M combined, plus two more years under team control, to go after a reclamation project making $4.65M this year to hit .228/.300/.356.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (beck72 @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
Welcome aboard! :gosox3:

I agree with that statement. I personally want a SS who isn't making mental errors--and not many physical ones either. So if Alexei is moved, he'd likely bring back 2 players who could be on the sox 25 man roster. Jenks could bring back two players as well.

I could also see Konerko being moved-as long as it was a team on the west coast, that he'd waive his NTC for.

Wasnt last year's SS this guy and everyone couldn't wait to get rid of him because he was selfish. I do not believe Kenny will trade Alexi for 2 guys who will make the 25 man roster. I say that because he's mentality is to fill the roster with players that will win a championship, not just fill the roster. Alexi will be fine defensively in time, is cheap and is productive at the plate. He also gives KW flexibility, but he would have to be overwelmed to trade him. IMO

Thanks been reading this board for many years, but never joined before this year.

Why would you take a risk on an unproductive player getting paid well in arb when you already have someone who is currently productive, is under control for longer, and is making a fraction of what the risky player is currently making to be unproductive? I don't see how that would be a smart idea.

Besides, JJ Hardy will be available in trade for a hell of a lot less than what Alexei Ramirez could fetch. And also, Alexei is just one year older and in his second season in the Majors, despite a horrific start to the season, he's already cut his K rate and dramatically increased his BB rate. The only complaints about Alexei this year should be the mental mistakes on defense, the bad start of the season, and the lack of power in the second half. None of those things should be a reason to give up on 2 years of Alexei at $2.2M combined, plus two more years under team control, to go after a reclamation project making $4.65M this year to hit .228/.300/.356.

Exactly. Trade Alexei in some seperate trade. He has a lot of value.

There's good reason to believe Hardy will bounce back. He just turned 27. He simply had an off year. Hardy is already showing signs of being back. He has hit safely in 13 of the last 15 games. He is a much better player than Alexei normally. I really don't think we can win it all with Alexei at shortstop. We need somebody who is solid on defense. Sure, it is a risk, but I say take it. He won't command that much in a trade, and I think he can be a difference maker and make us a world series team. 25 home runs and gold glove type defense at SS is great.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Exactly. Trade Alexei in some seperate trade. He has a lot of value.

There's good reason to believe Hardy will bounce back. He just turned 27. He simply had an off year. Hardy is already showing signs of being back. He has hit safely in 13 of the last 15 games. He is a much better player than Alexei normally. I really don't think we can win it all with Alexei at shortstop. We need somebody who is solid on defense. Sure, it is a risk, but I say take it. He won't command that much in a trade, and I think he can be a difference maker and make us a world series team. 25 home runs and gold glove type defense at SS is great.

JJ Hardy is a reliable, sure handed shortstop with a fairly strong, very accurate arm. But his range is quite limited and he is so damn slow it makes your eyes water. As a hitter he is extremely streaky. And the Brewers aren't going to trade him (as some suggested in another thread) for Bobby Jenks...if their pitching has any strength at all, it's in the bullpen. I'm sure that the only pitcher the Brewers would want from the Sox, in exchange for Hardy, would be Dan Hudson. So I'm guessing that there's no fit here.

JJ Hardy is a reliable, sure handed shortstop with a fairly strong, very accurate arm. But his range is quite limited and he is so damn slow it makes your eyes water. As a hitter he is extremely streaky. And the Brewers aren't going to trade him (as some suggested in another thread) for Bobby Jenks...if their pitching has any strength at all, it's in the bullpen. I'm sure that the only pitcher the Brewers would want from the Sox, in exchange for Hardy, would be Dan Hudson. So I'm guessing that there's no fit here.

The stats say he has above average range

2007 UZR - 14.8

2008 UZR - 8.2

2009 UZR - 7.6 (in only 110 games)

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
The stats say he has above average range

2007 UZR - 14.8

2008 UZR - 8.2

2009 UZR - 7.6 (in only 110 games)

We have your standard issue SABR vs. scouting disagreement here, which leads no where. But let me take a step in your direction. I've always felt the extreme outer edges of an infielder's range isn't where a player proves his defensive worth - rather his ability to turn a variety of difficult plays that are within his range into outs on a regular basis is what earns a player the right to be called an excellent fielder. JJ Hardy makes all those plays (mostly...)

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)

A few things:

*So Reddick doesn't impress you? Granted he might K a bit. But his .871 OPS in AA, along with possessing a cannon of an arm, having 41 career OF assists in the minors, and having LH power, and can play RF and CF, would fit in well next to Gordon for the next 5 years or so. Reddick probably isn't ready to start 2010 but would prob. sometime later in the year. Yet a stopgap for the OF like a 1 year deal for either Pods or Coco Crisp [Crisp because he could allow the sox a lot of defensive versatility, and Pods isn't likely to repeat this years numbers] would probably be the smart move regardless if the sox try and acquire a foundation piece.

*Alexei isn't going to net the sox a superstar. Mostly because he isn't one. Yet he could possibly net the sox a player who could turn into one, or be a foundation piece for the sox on offense. IMO, the sox need a LH bat who hits for power and is an asset on defense. That kind of bat is only available via trade, and would come from the minors. Alexei has that kind of value. Reddick is possibly that kind of player. I also said a trade for Reddick would involve another player at least. A pitcher like Manny Delcarmen-though you could go with more upside like a Felix Doubront, Stephen Fife or Stolmy Pimentel, and a lower level prospect. I don't know the market for Alexei-I'm just trying to be realistic.

*I didn't say to trade Alexei for Hardy. But if it took Jenks to land Hardy, then the sox could get additional players who could help-say a bullpen arm for 2010 and another prospect in addition to Hardy.

*Hardy is another likely guy to bounce back offensively. The sox have been big on buying low [Pods in '05; Dye; Quentin; now Rios] and counting on the bats to pick up the next year. Defensively he would seem to be what they need from a SS.

*Jenks and Alexei have more trade value than Javy and Swisher. It stands to reason that they should get more than just a Tyler Flowers out of a deal[ though Flowers seems like a legit hitter in the bigs].

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
If we were looking at RF's to replace Dye, Hunter Pence would be one I'd at least inquire about.

He wouldn't be cheap, but the Stros don't exactly have a lot of talent in their farm system either.

I just don't see them trading him, but what a great fit for us. Some pop, fast, good D, and can hit leadoff.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 07:48 AM)
A few things:

*So Reddick doesn't impress you? Granted he might K a bit. But his .871 OPS in AA, along with possessing a cannon of an arm, having 41 career OF assists in the minors, and having LH power, and can play RF and CF, would fit in well next to Gordon for the next 5 years or so. Reddick probably isn't ready to start 2010 but would prob. sometime later in the year. Yet a stopgap for the OF like a 1 year deal for either Pods or Coco Crisp [Crisp because he could allow the sox a lot of defensive versatility, and Pods isn't likely to repeat this years numbers] would probably be the smart move regardless if the sox try and acquire a foundation piece.

*Alexei isn't going to net the sox a superstar. Mostly because he isn't one. Yet he could possibly net the sox a player who could turn into one, or be a foundation piece for the sox on offense. IMO, the sox need a LH bat who hits for power and is an asset on defense. That kind of bat is only available via trade, and would come from the minors. Alexei has that kind of value. Reddick is possibly that kind of player. I also said a trade for Reddick would involve another player at least. A pitcher like Manny Delcarmen-though you could go with more upside like a Felix Doubront, Stephen Fife or Stolmy Pimentel, and a lower level prospect. I don't know the market for Alexei-I'm just trying to be realistic.

*I didn't say to trade Alexei for Hardy. But if it took Jenks to land Hardy, then the sox could get additional players who could help-say a bullpen arm for 2010 and another prospect in addition to Hardy.

*Hardy is another likely guy to bounce back offensively. The sox have been big on buying low [Pods in '05; Dye; Quentin; now Rios] and counting on the bats to pick up the next year. Defensively he would seem to be what they need from a SS.

*Jenks and Alexei have more trade value than Javy and Swisher. It stands to reason that they should get more than just a Tyler Flowers out of a deal[ though Flowers seems like a legit hitter in the bigs].

No, Reddick does not impress me so much that I'd deal Alexei for him. Besides, that does not help us in 2010. You say he should be ready midseason 2010, but even if he is then that'll mean he's ready to play and learn at the MLB level, not ready to produce for a contender at the MLB level. We'd look at him as a player to throw out there in 2011 and hope he produces then which does not help us at all. He's rail thin like Alexei but he doesn't have Alexei's bat speed or contact rate, and he isn't productive in the Majors right now like Alexei is, and even his walk rate in the minors isn't a whole lot higher than Alexei's walk rate in his second MLB season, and also Reddick's position is much easier to fill than Alexei's is. Basically, I wouldn't trade Tyler Flowers or Dayan Viciedo for him, so I'd have a hard time trading Alexei for him considering Alexei is already productive. In fact, I don't even know if I'd trade Jordan Danks for him straight up.

Pods is NOT a stopgap anywhere. Putting Pods in LF with CQ in RF is going to make us swiss cheese defensively, and even that's probably a better option than Pods in CF with Rios in RF. Crisp makes $8M next year if the Royals tender him a contract, which is a lot of money for Coco Crisp. If the Royals non-tender him, then he'll still probably get $4M or so. So you're talking about spending probably at least $8.7M or whatever on two reclamation projects in Hardy and Crisp, and you're willing to justify that because of some overhyped Red Sox prospect who won't even be ready to contribute until 2011. Yeah, no thanks. Kenny isn't going to sell low on a cheap, productive MLB player at a premium position to buy high on an overrated-by-you prospect and a setup man. That's just not his style at all.

Now if you're talking about Bard and Delcarmen, then I could see an argument for that because it solves our bullpen problems from the right side and allows us to trade Jenks for salary relief, and the prospects received there could go towards a solution at SS. But if we made that deal I still wouldn't target JJ Hardy immediately. I'd look for a more cost-effective solution at a lower risk, and JJ Hardy is neither of those.

Ha, you say Alexei has more value than Javy and you're suggesting we deal him off for less than what we got for Javy. Flowers is a MUCH better prospect than Reddick is and I wouldn't give up Flowers, Rodriguez, and Gilmore just to get Delcarmen. That deal sucks really bad and does not make us a significantly better team in 2010. It just jacks up the payroll.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
Pods is NOT a stopgap anywhere. Putting Pods in LF with CQ in RF is going to make us swiss cheese defensively, and even that's probably a better option than Pods in CF with Rios in RF.

Agreed about Pods, but I have no problem with Quentin in RF. He played there in Arizona, and is an upgrade over Dye. At the very least, I don't think that he'll be any worse than Maggs was.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Agreed about Pods, but I have no problem with Quentin in RF. He played there in Arizona, and is an upgrade over Dye. At the very least, I don't think that he'll be any worse than Maggs was.

I agree with all this, but I have much higher expectations for our OF defense in 2010. I've mentioned Cody Ross a lot because IMO he's a perfect candidate. Get a CF/RF who can play both positions well and then bring in a good 4th OF, like Kotsay. That way we'll always have a very good or better defense out there, with Rios/Ross in CF, Rios/Ross/Kotsay in RF, or Quentin/Kotsay in LF. With our starting staff, it would be a huge plus for us if we could regularly go on the road into other ballparks and still have an OF defense that is better than the opposition's.

As for Alexei's mental issues at short, I think it makes the most sense financially to keep him there and hope he improves. I would like to see some better defense there but I just don't see it being smart to give up on a productive player who is so cheap and under control for so long. The only way I'd be in favor of a move like that would be if we used Alexei to get better and cheaper in another area and then brought in a defensive whiz who would also be cheap and under control for a long time. The goal should be to squeeze the best possible team into about a $95M payroll because I find it hard to see the Sox going into 2010 with anything more than that.

Coming from the Crawford/Upton thread...

If the Sox could acquire Fielder or Gonzalez, I'd gut the farm (aside from: D2 and Hudson) and might even throw in Nix. Then I'd keep Pods as the LF, as you wouldn't have enough money to lockup Figgins. If JR gave it the pass though...

I still think Bobby will have a bounce back year next, so I don't send him for Crawford.

You'd have:

Pods/Figgins (only if JR is willing to sign a cheque)

Rios (assuming he gets his stuff together in Spring Training)

Beckham

Gonzalez

Quentin

Konerko

AJ

Ramirez

Getz

Throw in a stellar rotation, and hopefully a bullpen where Pena, Linebrink, and Bobby rediscover their skills, and you got a contender.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
No, Reddick does not impress me so much that I'd deal Alexei for him. Besides, that does not help us in 2010. You say he should be ready midseason 2010, but even if he is then that'll mean he's ready to play and learn at the MLB level, not ready to produce for a contender at the MLB level. We'd look at him as a player to throw out there in 2011 and hope he produces then which does not help us at all. He's rail thin like Alexei but he doesn't have Alexei's bat speed or contact rate, and he isn't productive in the Majors right now like Alexei is, and even his walk rate in the minors isn't a whole lot higher than Alexei's walk rate in his second MLB season, and also Reddick's position is much easier to fill than Alexei's is. Basically, I wouldn't trade Tyler Flowers or Dayan Viciedo for him, so I'd have a hard time trading Alexei for him considering Alexei is already productive. In fact, I don't even know if I'd trade Jordan Danks for him straight up.

Pods is NOT a stopgap anywhere. Putting Pods in LF with CQ in RF is going to make us swiss cheese defensively, and even that's probably a better option than Pods in CF with Rios in RF. Crisp makes $8M next year if the Royals tender him a contract, which is a lot of money for Coco Crisp. If the Royals non-tender him, then he'll still probably get $4M or so. So you're talking about spending probably at least $8.7M or whatever on two reclamation projects in Hardy and Crisp, and you're willing to justify that because of some overhyped Red Sox prospect who won't even be ready to contribute until 2011. Yeah, no thanks. Kenny isn't going to sell low on a cheap, productive MLB player at a premium position to buy high on an overrated-by-you prospect and a setup man. That's just not his style at all.

Now if you're talking about Bard and Delcarmen, then I could see an argument for that because it solves our bullpen problems from the right side and allows us to trade Jenks for salary relief, and the prospects received there could go towards a solution at SS. But if we made that deal I still wouldn't target JJ Hardy immediately. I'd look for a more cost-effective solution at a lower risk, and JJ Hardy is neither of those.

Ha, you say Alexei has more value than Javy and you're suggesting we deal him off for less than what we got for Javy. Flowers is a MUCH better prospect than Reddick is and I wouldn't give up Flowers, Rodriguez, and Gilmore just to get Delcarmen. That deal sucks really bad and does not make us a significantly better team in 2010. It just jacks up the payroll.

A few things:

*if the sox traded Alexei in a deal, the sox should get at least one top 100 prospect. Reddick is in most top 100 lists. While he could be a key component, I never said it would straight up. Pitching would also be high in a deal--esp. near ready pitching, which is very valuable. I also said I didn't know the value of Alexei. Once you know what other teams would offer for him, the floor would be set. Alexei would seem to have a return similar to what the sox got for Javy. Flowers was a top 100 prospect. But not in any top 50 lists.

*The sox need to acquire someone with the potential to be an all-star, someone young, who can hit from the left side. While a deal may not automatically make the sox better in 2010, the sox need to make a deal like they did for Flowers--get a top notch hitter--without hurting the 2010 team. The Javy trade did hurt the 2009 sox more than Kenny thought, with the 4th and 5th SP's a big drop off. A stop gap signing in the mold of Crisp on an incentive laden deal could do that, while the young talent gets closer to the bigs.

*Kenny told the scouts, IIRC, after spring training to "scour the minors for Ofers". That is prob. who the sox will trade for this offseason. The sox are thin there and have openings. It makes sense that the sox would try and acquire someone with lefty power.

QUOTE (picktoclick @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 07:16 AM)
Bj Upton might be available and TB needs relief pitching and catcher. I'd package Jenks and Flowers for Upton and play him in CF and leadoff. Rios in right and a healthy Quentin in left and we would have a decent outfield defense and wouldn't need pods.

Upton's having a terrible year, likely due to recent shoulder surgery. Even if his shoulder fully recovers, you still have to deal with his immaturity and lack of focus. I realize that Upton's ceiling is extremely high, but his three full seasons in the bigs have resulted in OPS+ of 136, 107, and 74 (in that order). If Upton was having a year like last season, I'd do this deal in a second. But now, I'm very hesitant.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I agree with all this, but I have much higher expectations for our OF defense in 2010. I've mentioned Cody Ross a lot because IMO he's a perfect candidate.

Not to mention the monstrous power potential he has for the Cell. If we could pluck Ross and one of the Marlins lefty's we'd be a sure thing in this division.