Teaching Abroad

Stocking

Looking for some information on teaching abroad. I know someone here is in Thailand, would like to hear anyones firsthand account. I'm looking to go to Japan, or South America sooner than later. Anywho, was wondering about TEFL of TESL certification, company's to go through, etc. Any help will be great.

If you are looking for money, go to south korea.

I'm in Brazil right now doing what you are doing. You come in Late July/December, hundreds of schools that teach english and don't give an eff about teaching certifications.

The problem, i guess, there is less certainty, more illegality,

but more brazilian women.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
I looked into it briefly. Depending on the country you are going to, a TEFL certification can get you some definite salary bumps. Korea has a very interesting english teacher program. They put you up for free, you teach English, they pay you between 21 and 30K a year.

Wouldn't you need to know Korean pretty well?....and if you're teaching advanced levels of English, in English only classrooms, wouldn't you need to know English pretty well?..... I mean advanced grammar, not just basic conversation.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
Wouldn't you need to know Korean pretty well?....and if you're teaching advanced levels of English, in English only classrooms, wouldn't you need to know English pretty well?..... I mean advanced grammar, not just basic conversation.

A lot of these Korean programs are looking for complete immersion in the classroom. They train for like 2 weeks, and then you are teaching their structure and materials.

No Tefl necessary,

and to be frank, a lot of the "programs" that have you pay like $2000 for certification and then "guaranteed" placement are scams.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
No Tefl necessary,

and to be frank, a lot of the "programs" that have you pay like $2000 for certification and then "guaranteed" placement are scams.

Thats how I feel. I have my BA in Secondary Ed, the cert seems like a complete waste. However I cannnot find a placement company that places in Japan without a TEFL cert or being an Alum of their program.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Thats how I feel. I have my BA in Secondary Ed, the cert seems like a complete waste. However I cannnot find a placement company that places in Japan without a TEFL cert or being an Alum of their program.

Go to South Korea, my man.

Or meet me in Brazil if you don't mind just making enough to live.

Man I would love to try out Brazil. South Korea, while it does pay fairly well and is fully set-up, doesnt intrigue me so much. Who knows tho, Im trying to jet the Isles by January so really got to get the ball rolling. What grade level are you looking into teaching? Do you have any schools in mind yet? I have a friend's friend family who runs a school out there if you want a lead.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 01:40 AM)
Man I would love to try out Brazil. South Korea, while it does pay fairly well and is fully set-up, doesnt intrigue me so much. Who knows tho, Im trying to jet the Isles by January so really got to get the ball rolling. What grade level are you looking into teaching? Do you have any schools in mind yet? I have a friend's friend family who runs a school out there if you want a lead.

Yeah, I interviewed with a school today that I'm very optimistic I'll get. I'd be working with mostly adults, the school has a good reputation with businesses in the area so they are sending their employees there to learn english. I hope it works out, it seems like a great fit.

I appreciate the lead, though, I'll let you know if it arrives.

Places like Brazil, Argentina, have a lot of demand for learning English, so even in times where classes aren't heavy, you can find plenty of students for private lessons once you get networking.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Yeah, I interviewed with a school today that I'm very optimistic I'll get. I'd be working with mostly adults, the school has a good reputation with businesses in the area so they are sending their employees there to learn english. I hope it works out, it seems like a great fit.

I appreciate the lead, though, I'll let you know if it arrives.

Places like Brazil, Argentina, have a lot of demand for learning English, so even in times where classes aren't heavy, you can find plenty of students for private lessons once you get networking.

I think that's a very good way to get your "network" going. Hope it works out for you!

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)

They actually seek out non-Korean speakers because most schools want a complete immersion learning environment.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
It's really difficult to get into the program though IIRC.

Yeah. I didn't try, but i was in this, looking back, lame program where we did freshman orientation/parent orientation, and of that group, it looked very well on these types of programs radars.

Now I can't stand it.