2009 Final Attendance figures

joeynach

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
I agree and disagree. As one of the 10%, I still would buy game day tickets. I can't and won't buy season tickets or a package, but I would still buy tickets to a couple of games a year if I can.

Also, I believe unemployment rates have leveled off and actually went down in Illinois last month. In fact, I know of many people that have gotten jobs in the last month and all of a sudden I have two, possibly three interviews this week.

Good luck!

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Greater investment in the markets doesn't mean much if the unemployment rate is at almost 10% and still rising. People who are out of work or are in fear of losing their jobs tend to not spend money on extras like baseball tickets. You're also not accounting for the inflation that will hit in another year or so after all of the excess money that the Fed has printed over the past year and a half floods the market. The current interest rates are so low that the Fed can't lower them further to fight the impending inflation. In addition, our over-dependence on investment from overseas (especially China) will mandate that interest rates will increase, which will further weaken the economy. These two factors very well may trigger another recession in 2011.

I have to disagree with you. The fact that the S&P 500 has run up some 60% from its low suggests two very important things to me. First, the market was probably oversold during the recession (which I believe is now over). It's easy to understand why that would be - there was panic and uncertainty fueled by financials that led to uncertainty everywhere else. Financials back all other industries, so when banks are broken, every other industry will suffer to some degree. The second reason for the run up is why markets continue to increase in any time period, and that's because actual production (i.e. sales) exceed expectations. If the market runs up due to earnings numbers exceeding expectations and encouraging guidance from these companies, then jobs will soon follow in order to keep up with demand.

Getting back to the original point, if the White Sox drew well over 2 million in the midst of a recession, then there's little doubt in my mind attendance figures will be strong next season (provided the product on the field is competitive and prices aren't too outrageous).

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
I have to disagree with you. The fact that the S&P 500 has run up some 60% from its low suggests two very important things to me. First, the market was probably oversold during the recession (which I believe is now over). It's easy to understand why that would be - there was panic and uncertainty fueled by financials that led to uncertainty everywhere else. Financials back all other industries, so when banks are broken, every other industry will suffer to some degree. The second reason for the run up is why markets continue to increase in any time period, and that's because actual production (i.e. sales) exceed expectations. If the market runs up due to earnings numbers exceeding expectations and encouraging guidance from these companies, then jobs will soon follow in order to keep up with demand.

As more people being to spend later this year, the excess of money created by the Fed over the past year will flood the system and trigger inflation, and the Fed will have to increase interest rates to combat it (foreign investors will likely demand higher interest rates as well). Both of these factors will curb spending and job creation. The extent to which this happens remains to be seen, but a double-dip recession is a very real possibility. Some of the legislation currently being debated in Congress will also lead to tax increases, which would likely compound the problem. We're not out of the woods at all.

Getting back to the original point, if the White Sox drew well over 2 million in the midst of a recession, then there's little doubt in my mind attendance figures will be strong next season (provided the product on the field is competitive and prices aren't too outrageous).

The Sox really restored credibility with the fans in 2005, and the effects are still evident. To put things in perspective, the Sox often drew crowds of 16,000 in the late '90s, while the economy was still riding the tech boom.

At the very least, the Sox will probably draw a minimum of 2 million next year. That's not bad, but they may not be able to field a $100 million team.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
As more people being to spend later this year, the excess of money created by the Fed over the past year will flood the system and trigger inflation, and the Fed will have to increase interest rates to combat it (foreign investors will likely demand higher interest rates as well). Both of these factors will curb spending and job creation. The extent to which this happens remains to be seen, but a double-dip recession is a very real possibility. Some of the legislation currently being debated in Congress will also lead to tax increases, which would likely compound the problem. We're not out of the woods at all.

Yep, same thing my econ Prof said!!

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
Yep, same thing my econ Prof said!!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
I've been saying it for a while now :headbang

Obviously, there are more than a few opinions about where we're headed. The chief economist at my firm happens to be incredibly bullish. I'm not quite as bullish as he is, but I do think the worst is behind us. Time will tell.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Obviously, there are more than a few opinions about where we're headed. The chief economist at my firm happens to be incredibly bullish. I'm not quite as bullish as he is, but I do think the worst is behind us. Time will tell.

Bullish? I am impressed. There aren't too many of those around. People either think stocks will stagnate or go south. Then again, maybe that is the sign to buy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
No, because if you don't buy playoff tickets, there is no refund. Penalizing customers by making them buy tickets for games that may not be played is not a business practice MLB wants to be in, and if the Sox made the playoffs, they would have no problem selling those seats anyway.

You should talk to your rep. I did. I'm getting an invoice for half my total due in November. At WSI there were several people that verified it with their reps as well. Usually, I just pay it, but I just didn't believe this year and even though I think they probably will raise prices again, and I will renew anyway, I didn't want to be held hostage again. The only way you lose your place is paying for playoff tickets and asking for a refund. Skipping the playoff option did not affect your status.

This is correct and it is MLB guidelines that indicate such as I was told by my rep with the Angels numerous times and on many ocassions I did not lock up my playoff seats for the exact reason of tying up my funds for a few months when the Angels didn't have a team that looked like a serious pennant contender.

Now had I purchased playoff tickets and asked for a refund, MLB considers that you pulling your deposit and thus losing your spot for the next season.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
There was also an 11% across the board ticket price hike, no? And I think a 10% increase in parking fees? So a 9% dropoff isn't that bad.

Losing the sponsorships and advertising is probably more of a concern. Of course, it's hard to pitch your park for advertising when your attendance went down--so there's that.

Do not forget they charged premium seating tiers for over 50 plus home dates they made alot of money in 2009 no matter how much KW cries the blues!