Fitting Ending to 2009 Season

shago

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
Southside no disrespect but did you read my post?? I'm standing up for Dye the outfielder prior to the second half of this season.

He has not been a butcher out there in the past; he's been quite serviceable.

I've admitted he looks like a DH now. People have been burying Jermaine saying he's always been a bum in right field and that is not the case.

I'm not going to bury Jermaine just because he's the flavor of the second half to bury.

Greg, he has been a bad OF for a while now. He has been a DH in RF for a while now. This is not something that just happened in the 2nd half of this year. His bat for years overshadowed how poor of an OF he is. When his bat failed him, then the rest just became more of a mess.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dye catches most of what he can get to. Beyond that, his range is very limited.

That's getting closer to a sentence I can agree with regarding the Jermaine of the past few years before the second half of this year. That sentence does not insult Dye.

I respect your stats listed. I'm just saying he was not a disaster in rf prior to this year. The country knows it; you know it. He was OK out there.

He wasn't a "problem" out there. He just wasn't.

And I want to hear your guys' opinion of who will replace his production.

Who are we gonna acquire to replace Dye? Remember Thome is gone as well. We need to score some runs and losing Thome and Dye doesn't actually help in that regard (assuming Dye returns to productivity).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)

Who are we gonna acquire to replace Dye? Remember Thome is gone as well. We need to score some runs and losing Thome and Dye doesn't actually help in that regard (assuming Dye returns to productivity).

Who knows at this point. But rebound seasons from CQ/Rios alone will infinitely make the offense better in 2010.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
That's getting closer to a sentence I can agree with regarding the Jermaine of the past few years before the second half of this year. That sentence does not insult Dye.

I respect your stats listed. I'm just saying he was not a disaster in rf prior to this year. The country knows it; you know it. He was OK out there.

He wasn't a "problem" out there. He just wasn't.

The issue isn't about replacing Dye's production during his good years here. We can't do that. We have neither the money to do that nor the relationship with Borass to do that. Dye would be an $11M investment (because his option is $12M and we have a $1M buyout) and we'd be banking on Dye producing like he did in the first half for the entire season while at the age of 36. Probably not a smart decision. Even if we brought Dye back at a fraction of his current salary, we'd still want him as a DH, and right now we still need a big lefty bat in our lineup, and the guys on the open market that fit this criteria are also DH's. So Dye doesn't fit there either.

I love JD but there are a lot of reasons for not bringing him back.

I agree. And we move on w/out Dye.

Should be interesting to see who KW adds for a big stick or two with the budget constraints.

Maybe we are gonna try to win with pitching and 2-3 runs a game. That can be a recipe for disaster because of bullpen implosions.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
From 2006-2008 Dye posted a -21 UZR rating or worse in RF. You can argue the validity of UZR as a stat somewhat but when the numbers are that bad for that long, its pretty obvious that the player is a bad defender.

Also according to Fangraphs JD played at SS for a third of an inning in 2005. Weird.

That was the crazy game in Oakland that included injuries, suspensions and ejections.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
Dye catches most of what he can get to. Beyond that, his range is very limited.

If you want to know what a good defensive OF looks like, all you have to do is compare the Sox over the years to the Twins over the years. Bunting and choppers haven't been the only reasons for the Twins kicking our asses in the Dome.

I didn't realize Dye's defense wasn't what Hawk said it was until I went to a game in Baltimore in 2007 and saw Markakis play.