We Should Sign Nick Johnson

Fantl916

i agree. I'd rather bring in Blalock to be the DH. I wonder what his price tag will be. AJ had a nice year but if he's hitting in your 3-4-5 holes then your offense leaves alot to be desired.

Is Blalock a FA this year? If he is I would take him over Johnson,tho I wouldnt mind Johnson as our DH,next year.........All depends on how mnay benjamins they want.

Edited by East Side Z

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Johnson's OPS last year was about career average. His OPS this year was about 15 points less than career average. You can see that through his career his OPS fluctuated between .800-.900 usually. Thome's OPS is over 100 points less than his career average. Thome's looks a lot more like physical decline than Johnson's.

And yet he is still proving to be a much superior player to Johnson. What does that say for Nick?

And yet he is still proving to be a much superior player to Johnson. What does that say for Nick?

It shows that Thome was an elite player, but is on the decline... Is that supposed to negate the fact that Nick would be one of the most productive players on the team if we signed him? His OPS is still better than everybody else on the team.

What does that say for the team?~~~~~~~

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)

Johnson is a very good pure hitter who would be a lesser version of Abreu on this squad. If he's heatlhy, he's flat out a stellar pick-up and instantly becomes the teams best offensive player. So ya, he's a major upgrade.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
It shows that Thome was an elite player, but is on the decline... Is that supposed to negate the fact that Nick would be one of the most productive players on the team if we signed him? His OPS is still better than everybody else on the team.

What does that say for the team?~~~~~~~

And yet Thome is still be superior to him by pretty much any statistic you can pick out.

How about Giambi- ya he had a ruff year, but he also didn't have Jeter, A-Rod, Johny Damon, & Bobby Abreu hitting in the same lineup as him. I think he has 1 or 2 good years left in him. He has a high on base %, and ya he is not lighting quick, but he would be a good power bat that you could actually throw out at first base. If, and only if we could get him cheaply, he could be a decent DH for our club. I'm not saying he is fast, but he is faster than Thome, Dye, Paulie, & probaly AJ. Giambi hitting between Carlos & Paulie with AJ batting 6th- it could be a pretty good lineup. I'm not saying he'll hitting 40 hrs, but he did hit 32hrs in 2008.

Otherwise were stuck with a platoon situation, which could be helpful to Josh Fields development. With a platoon situation I like Kotsay playing first base, with Paulie DHing(playing first base occasionally). Fields at 1B/DH against Lefties & Paulie DH/1B. If we keep Kotsay, & let paulie DH will have more speed with Kotsay then we would with Giambi (Plus Kotsay can play outfield).

Any thoughts?

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
How about Giambi- ya he had a ruff year, but he also didn't have Jeter, A-Rod, Johny Damon, & Bobby Abreu hitting in the same lineup as him. I think he has 1 or 2 good years left in him. He has a high on base %, and ya he is not lighting quick, but he would be a good power bat that you could actually throw out at first base. If, and only if we could get him cheaply, he could be a decent DH for our club. I'm not saying he is fast, but he is faster than Thome, Dye, Paulie, & probaly AJ. Giambi hitting between Carlos & Paulie with AJ batting 6th- it could be a pretty good lineup. I'm not saying he'll hitting 40 hrs, but he did hit 32hrs in 2008.

Otherwise were stuck with a platoon situation, which could be helpful to Josh Fields development. With a platoon situation I like Kotsay playing first base, with Paulie DHing(playing first base occasionally). Fields at 1B/DH against Lefties & Paulie DH/1B. If we keep Kotsay, & let paulie DH will have more speed with Kotsay then we would with Giambi (Plus Kotsay can play outfield).

Any thoughts?

If you are going to be interested in Giambi, why wouldn't you just go back to Thome? He's far better.

Nick Johnson is a big risk and he is not much of a power hitter .Like i said before we need some guys to drive in runs we had alot of baserunners last year so getting on base was not a problem . We need a true number 3 hitter and number 4 if Carlos is healthy we have our number 4 or he could be a 3 but konerko is not either so we need a big lefthanded bat and Thome, giambi , johnson are not the answer .