We Should Sign Nick Johnson

Fantl916

I am going to start this new offseason off by arrogantly saying that MY opinion matters more than anything and I THINK we need to sign Nick Johnson for 1b/DH duties. This guy is a PERFECT #2 hitter for this team. He is a patient, professional hitter who isn't possessed to hit anything out of the park. Rotate him with Konerko between DH and 1b and holy hell we have to one thing this doesn't doesn't wholeheartedly have and that's someone who is INCREDIBLE at just getting on base. Picture this, we sign Figgins to play LF and roll with a lineup of:

Figgins LF

N. Johnson 1b/DH

Beckham 3b

Quentin RF

Konerko 1b/dh

AJP C

Rios CF

Alexei SS

Getz/Nix 2b

Speed to leadoff, OBP 2nd, all-around hitting 3rd, power to cleanup, and streaky guys 6-8, then grinders 9th... thats an Angles-esque lineup if you ask me, and dangerous enough to beat you in so so so many ways. Basestealers in Figgins, Rios, Beckham, Alexei, Getz. 20 HR power in Beckham, Konerko, Quentin, Rios. AVG and OBP conscious guys in Johnson, Figgins, and Beckham. and Can you imagine to RBI potential for Quentin if he stays healthy in this lineup!? WOOOW! Injuries would be my only concern here as Figgins, Johnson, and Quentin have all shown themselves to be injury prone at times.

Anywho just my two offseason cents. Love the 6-deep staff with Peavs, Mark, Danks, Floyd, Garcia, Hudson. You can always find good arms for a bullpen and between Jenks, Thornton, Pena, Linebrink, Carrasco we have a good base to start from. 2 offensive pieces turn this team into a beast, and neither is a break-the-bank type.

I'm going to spend the next 6 months praying for this :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if he's DH-ing 90% of the time there's less risk for injury, but he's only played in more than 100 games in 4 of his 8 major league seasons. It's a huge risk, especially if he gets $7 million a year (which is possible).

I'm on board with this one, though.

I cant dislike this idea. Until PK and AJ contracts are off the books (not that I want them gone, per se).........we cant easily get an impact OBP middle-of-the-order guy. not without getting in a bidding war (which of course we dont fare too well in ever).

A guy like this is one we can get. The injury concern is real, but it's also the reason we could even get him.

Edited by Princess Dye

It's all about what the team doctors say. KW has made it known that he's a big fan of his medical staff, and although we occasionally have someone go down, we tend to be near the bottom of the league in DL stints for our guys.

I don't know what they'd say about him. If they think they can keep him healthy in the DH role, then I'm all for it.

As I've said before, to fit into our budget plans, we are going to have to take a flier on someone. This seems the perfect candidate.

Of course, I wanted Andruw Jones two offseasons ago and cursed KW for not signing him.

I am an idiot.

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
agreed we need some power in our lineup not just speed and onbase guys WE PLAY IN THE CELL NOT PETCO PARK

In the closest he ever came to a full season, Johnson hit 23 HR and had a .950 OPS. And that was in old RFK stadium, which wasn't exactly a hitter's park.

Compared to the shots-in-the-dark we took in '05....this is nothing. You'd be taking an injury prone guy and DHing him. When healthy he has put up the #s you want.

If you want more power, you will need to break the bank - all signs point to us not doing that this offseason.

I can only see not pursuing him if, as I stated earlier, you are planning to wait one more year for payroll to be real small and then make a '98 Albert Belle sized splash in the FA market. Perhaps more will be available then at the power positions. It's not what we usually do, but at the same time we are pretty darn blessed with pre-arb talent at the moment. At multiple positions.

I have to think that the acquisitions of Peavy and Rios mean we wont let the power spots go unfilled for '10, though.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
agreed we need some power in our lineup not just speed and onbase guys WE PLAY IN THE CELL NOT PETCO PARK

i agree. I'd rather bring in Blalock to be the DH. I wonder what his price tag will be. AJ had a nice year but if he's hitting in your 3-4-5 holes then your offense leaves alot to be desired.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
He'd be fine as a DH if he could hit well enough. we could just use kotsay in the OF and Nix in the infield if some of our guys needs breaks.

Viciedo could have a great fall and spring and I'd still want him starting in the minors next year.