We Should Sign Nick Johnson

Fantl916

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
I would love that lineup, but the biggest problem remains the money issues. Figgins is going to cost you $10 million or more per season and Johnson probably $7-8 million. That's way too much than we can afford.

I didn't know you were funding the team's payroll.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
Kotsay

This and also Tyler Flowers could definitely be an option, considering he'll probably start 2010 in AAA.

But yes I'm for bringing Johnson in.

By DH'ing him, you'd reduce the chances of him getting injured anyways. But that OBP and plate discipline would be awfully nice to add to our lineup.

Obviously none of us knows what payroll restrictions are in place. From what we hear, KW doesnt even know them til after he negotiates trades.

But that said, it's not out of line to have the expectation that this will be a moderate spending year. After all, they stocked the rotation, they have maybe two positions to fill assuming Pods returns (DH, corner OF)

We can always hope they shock us. If Jenks and Dotel are both out, that does free up a bit of cash from at least what our prior payroll was at.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
I am completely oblivious to the teams financial issues.

You act on as if you are really "in the know". They don't give out that information and what is out there can be questioned as accurate.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
Fixed it for ya. You act on as if you are really "in the know". They don't give out that information and what is out there can be questioned as accurate.

So what is your source that knows what is so accurate as to be able to tell others what isn't accurate?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
So what is your source that knows what is so accurate as to be able to tell others what isn't accurate?

No MLB team opens their book up to the public. Some are very good at crying "poor". I'm just stating that they might have to spend some more money if they want to better the team.

Reinsdorf likes to threaten fans by saying "show up and we'll spend money". I doubt you would find anywhere in the marketing world, "buy our product and we promise to make it better".

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
No MLB team opens their book up to the public. Some are very good at crying "poor". I'm just stating that they might have to spend some more money if they want to better the team.

Reinsdorf likes to threaten fans by saying "show up and we'll spend money". I doubt you would find anywhere in the marketing world, "buy our product and we promise to make it better".

So you don't trust the likes of Forbes who breaks down each of the teams annually?

No matter how much they spend on the team, you can't argue with the fact that JR and KW want to win. They won in 2005 with less then a $80M payroll.

Also, didn't JR have to appove taking on the money for Rios and Peavy? That's a lot of money right there that JR has spent to improve on the team for 2010 and beyond.

Unless I missed it, it looks like we're kind of closed to the possibility that Nick Johnson will cost the same yearly as Figgins.

If Milton Bradley with his malcontent-history got 3/30, it's not crazy to think Nick Johnson could do the same...even with his injury history. 450 ABs this year while being a fielder. '08, extensive missed time, but then the two years before were a combined 950 ABs.

Plus consider the sellers market in free agency this year.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Unless I missed it, it looks like we're kind of closed to the possibility that Nick Johnson will cost the same yearly as Figgins.

If Milton Bradley with his malcontent-history got 3/30, it's not crazy to think Nick Johnson could do the same...even with his injury history. 450 ABs this year while being a fielder. '08, extensive missed time, but then the two years before were a combined 950 ABs.

Actually I'll bet with the economy the way that it is, we could really see another year of depressed prices on the free agent front. The first guys to sign will probably get money again, but after that, it is going to look a lot like the end of last year, I bet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Actually I'll bet with the economy the way that it is, we could really see another year of depressed prices on the free agent front. The first guys to sign will probably get money again, but after that, it is going to look a lot like the end of last year, I bet.

The question is going to be...who else might have their eyes on the guy who'd be willing to make a serious bid? If we assume we can just write the NL off because of his injury history, we go to the AL. The Yankees and Red Sox, neither one is in serious need of a DH; frankly they probably have too many. Who else could be interested in a LH hitting DH who might have money to spend? I could see LAA getting in on it if they lose Abreu, i could see Texas getting in on that, Tampa Bay might but they have other needs and probably not a lot of money to spend. Lots of teams might be able to use him but not have a whole lot of money to spend (Detroit, Seattle, Oakland, Toronto).

Bradley, Abreu, Delgado, Matsui, thome might be other options for some of those teams as well. I'd think if the Sox wanted in, their competition might be LAA and Texas.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)

Given that Johnson is always hurt and is nearly worthless defensively, I doubt that he gets anywhere near Bradley money. Figgins money is even more of a pipe dream.

That said, I'd definitely take Johnson as our DH if the price is right.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Given that Johnson is always hurt and is nearly worthless defensively, I doubt that he gets anywhere near Bradley money. Figgins money is even more of a pipe dream.

It's all about the market though. As a free agent, all youve gotta find is one sucker. Milton found that in the Cubs.

If there's a team desperate enough for an LH high OBP guy.... Johnson could make a bundle. After all, Bay and Holliday are righties. Abreu is a lefty but is older. Johnson may fit the bill for someone, as Balta laid out.

Edited by Princess Dye